Fergie expects end for Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fergie expects end for Edwin.

Sir Alex Ferguson expects Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar to retire from playing at the end of the season.

Van der Sar turned 40 at the end of October and the Dutchman remains a reliable presence between the posts for United.

He has yet to give any firm indication of whether he will continue his career beyond this season, but Ferguson is planning for the keeper's retirement.

Ferguson believes that Van der Sar would not want his form to drop and also confirmed he wanted to spend more time with his wife Annemarie, who suffered a brain-related illness last year.
Big loss

"I have come to accept this will be Edwin's last season," Ferguson told The People. "It's sad but the difficulty for a goalkeeper when he gets to 40 is something which happened with Peter Shilton.

"All of a sudden, because of age, Shilton's form just collapsed and I don't think Edwin would want that. He is such a proud man and it's going to be a big loss.

"We had a chat last season about how he saw his future and he explained to me his plans, and nothing has changed from then.

"It's difficult because he has his wife's health to consider after her *illness.

"She is fine now and seems to be really good but she still has treatments to get in Holland, with physiotherapy and things like that. So for him to be here with us would be difficult."

The Red Devils have already agreed a deal to sign Denmark international Anders Lindegaard, but Ferguson is considering bringing in another keeper after being linked with the likes of Maarten Stekelenburg, Manuel Neuer and David De Gea.

He added: "We haven't finalised our thoughts on the goalkeeping situation.

"Edwin has massive experience and you can't buy that, so it's a difficult one because he has been a great *goalkeeper and will be hard to replace."

Sorry but i want a goalkeeper that makes the six yard box his own (old fashioned)and especially nowadays where a keeper only has to be breathed on before he gets a free kick,and V.A.S does for me not do that,not that he's not been a good keeper,steady yes,great not sure...not too me, but was needed at a time when we were short....sorry V.A.S and thanks and i do appreciate what people like that have done in a United shirt......

there are only 2 interpretations to SAF making that statement now

1) VDS has privately told SAF his intention is to retire in June
2) SAF has decided that the time has come for a new No.1 next season regardless of Ed's thoughts, so he is doing this to force the issue ;)

I think (1) is far more likely though.

I can only hope plans for a replacement are at a fairly advanced stage as the new keeper will need a full pre-season next summer to bed in with the rest of the team!

Sorry but i want a goalkeeper that makes the six yard box his own (old fashioned)and especially nowadays where a keeper only has to be breathed on before he gets a free kick,and V.A.S does for me not do that,not that he's not been a good keeper,steady yes,great not sure...not too me, but was needed at a time when we were short....sorry V.A.S and thanks and i do appreciate what people like that have done in a United shirt......

Would it be inappropriate to suggest that we've just signed the replacement and are giving him six months to bed in?

I think you mean Van Der Sar by V.A.S?? surely he's been better than your implying, how many GK's out there are able to do so well in goal, he might not be springing around all the time, but we could see how important he was when the likes of Foster came into goal, his management and coordination of the defense is something that shouldn't go unnoticed?

Sorry but it's always easy when your not pushed for your place,i'm not saying v.d.s isn't a good keeper but he isn't close to being the best i've seen at O.T....still don't think he commands the box as good as he should.....good shot stopper but gets beaten at the near post too often.....i suppose i should be thankful to be able to criticise a keeper that would walk into any other premiership side....even at his age !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back