Chris Smalling to leave United?

Can’t see it to be honest. Out of our centre back options I would say Smalling would be the last Jose would want to get rid of. He’s not world class but he’s not as injury prone as our other centre backs.

Obviously if an offer came in I’m sure it would be considered but right now I don’t think Smalling will go anywhere.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we sold him, I would be surprised if he was the first

I think Smalling stays over Jones and Rojo. Jose has turned to him in the big games more than any of the other cbs.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rumour apparently started on Reddit odds dropped due to a few bets in quick succession.

I have faith in Jose. 2 trophies and a league runner's up place would suggest it would be churlish not too.

Counter argument to that is in 2 seasons despite heavy investment he’s been a long way off the title and out of the race by Christmas.

I know last season is skewed a bit by City’s ridiculous run dropped something like 2 points from the first 20 odd games but that first season under him we were way off.

We need some of that old Mourinho magic next season if we want to win the title.

As for Smalling I don’t see a problem with him being in the squad but he shouldn’t be starting regularly but it’s on the so called better players to keep him out of the team.

So somebody tell me, as it stands and we don't get any other players (surely we will get 1 at least, prob a cb) how will Jose change things for the better with just Fred being the difference? Why will he play any different than last season cos we have Fred. The only way he could possibly play any different is if he had a new lb, cb and rb so he can play his counterattacking style of football like at Madrid and this clearly isn't going to happen!

He clearly doesn't trust the back 4, whoever he picks, so how will anything change? The only other way it wil l change is if HE changes and changes his style of play and I can't see that happening either!

So, more of the same next season!

It will probably be more of the same, Fred and Pereira will add more dynamism to the midfield (if Pereira stays) but the defence still is a worry. It’s a worry mainly because week in week out you never know who’s gonna play, whether that’s because of rotation or our injury prone centre backs sneezing and putting their back out. Our defence doesn’t get any consistency and therefore can not build a defensive partnership, you cannot downplay the importance of knowing each other’s games back there. Then well if it’s Valencia and Young at wing backs again I don’t hold much hope for the new season.

Although on paper a midfield three of Fred, Matic and Pogba plus an attacking trio of Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial/Rashford/Lingard does look exciting on paper.

it does indeed look tasty but as last season proved, Jose doesn't trust our dodgy defence therefore it stifles our play.

As it stands not much will change maybe with a settled formation the silly points dropped around Xmas to weaker sides might not happen but it’ll be the same sort of football all over again and regardless of who we sign that would be happening.

Managers set the style not the players. Players play to the tactics set by the manager.

Still think the squad is to big news trimmed.

Bit of a strange one. With Bailly injured and Tuanzebe untested I thought Smalling would eventually come into the picture especially as Jones and Rojo are car crash.

Least Ole is trimming the squad of the average.

its a good move, we need to lose some CB's. Smalling, Rojo, Jones have no long term future at the club, so any of those leaving is a bonus.

I think it's a bit of a joke this. He's a much better defender than Jones and Rojo who remain at the club. I just hope Ole goes with youth rather than turning to either of those tried and failed options.

I assume Rojo still goes which leaves us Maguire, Lindelöf, Tuenzebe, Jones 4 is more than enough centre backs not including Bailly who's injured.

To me it makes sense to let him go Roma is a great opportunity we clearly need to sell and to stand a chance of doing that we need them to be playing.

Smalling probably wouldn't be my first choice out the door but if he's the one we've got the offer for get it done as the difference between Smalling and Jones is pretty minimal.

He should be gone. It's a complete joke that guy is still here.

Yep should have been allowed to leave on a free transfer but wasn't club obviously feel at some point they can sell him and are happy for him to be a squad player.

The Smalling and Jones's of this world should have been sold 5 or 6 years ago they'd had more than enough chances the only reason they've remained at the club is the constant change of managers and a lack of director of football as the new manager always wants to look at his current options.

Utd signed these guys based on potential and they've developed into good but not great players and to be fair they've done ok when they've been called upon but we have to move on.

I always felt keeping Smalling as backup made sense so I can see why they gave him the new deal but Jones should have been released, Rojo has to be sold or loaned out and personally I'd have ditched Bailly if we got an offer for him.

It is pretty crazy, he is not amazing but he’s been our most consistent for a few years. I’ve said before but if one of our main centre backs go down we’ve got Tuanzebe, sick note Jones and crazy Rojo. Can’t remember when Bailly is back but I think losing Smalling definitely weakens the squad. But hey I would rather live in Rome than Manchester so he’s got himself a good deal.

I guess the hope is he shows he's an ok centre back and someone agrees to buy him next summer for £10-15m as sticking around here playing the backup role isn't going to attract the sort of clubs we'd like to sell him to.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back