Daley Blind to leave United in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s surplus to requirements he comes in and does a reasonable job but we’ve got to many of these guys so it’s probably time for him to move on.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting. Apparently been injured recently but is not needed under Mourinho. I've long said that he's no use to us but could still go on to play for Barca. He's a very good player in the right team, he was up there as one of our best in Van Gaal's final season, at CB, was never going to be the answer for Mourinho at CB though.

100% agree with you there. His more of a defender then say mascherano is. And that blokes left Barca a hero.

It's styles and cultures of different leagues. It's a fast physical league over here which are both traits Blind hasn't got or never ever had to be fair to him. While Spain is build from the back and highly technical and Italy, well Italy is just slow really. So he'd excel in either league. He is a square peg in a round hole with us as they say.

Bit of a jack of all trades master of none but was great at CB in LVGs 2nd season and as our squad has grown under Mourinho he’s become less important so think it’s time to part ways and let him go and play regularly elsewhere.

Not tall enough to play CB, not quick enough to play LB, not mobile enough to play CM. Nice bloke, nice player but he's not a Mourinho player and he's not a United player either.

Roma have just let their backup left back go to Chelsea so would explain why they're intersted in him.

Surely Blind would be handier to keep hold of until the summer than Darmian??

Surely Blind would be handier to keep hold of until the summer than Darmian??

Darmian is the backup right back to Valencia
Shaw is the backup left back to Young

Blind is 3rd choice left back, 6th choice CB, 7th choice CM he's just totally surplus to requirements now Shaw is fit again even if Shaw was to get injured my guess is Rojo goes to left back before Blind does.

Personally I think Utd can probably cope with losing both as Lindelof can cover right back if needed or move Young across but my guess is there's no offers for Darmian so he's not going anywhere.

Fair point. Not surprised there are no offers for Darmian. Both have to go like you say.

If someone out there fancies Blind then we'd be silly not to take the money and run. Eventually his going to have to leave so despite who's better or worse then him, his on that get rid of list.

Does anyone know what Roma have bid? I can't remember how much we paid for him but I don't think we had to break the bank for him, so will we get most of our money back?

Think we paid around £14m in 2014 he's got 18 months on his deal having just activated his 1 year extension so my guess is Utd will get between £10-15m for him as his wages will be quite high having been a PL player.

He's had an alright Utd career if he goes he can say he contributed to a League Cup, FA Cup & Europa League in 3 1/2 seasons he was a panic buy under LVG who had to get bodies in at short notice when he took over.

It's a shame, if he wants to stay I'd keep him. He's a good player to retain.

It's a shame, if he wants to stay I'd keep him. He's a good player to retain.

If he wants to stay I'd question why to be honest he knows he's not getting back in the first team any time soon and while I don't think Utd should be forcing players to leave )that's never sat right with me) I think he needs to see the writing on the wall.

I'd say at the end of the day big wages are nice but most guys would rather be playing most weeks and Blind strikes me as a guy who wants to play. I have just seen Roma are no longer interested in him. I'm sure he will go in the summer with Darmian now.

Roma just got £17m from Chelsea for Emerson who wasn't really playing for them so there's a decent chance Utd will get their money back on Blind.

I think most players want to play but finances will always be an issue very few players are going to move for less money but in the case of Blind he's probably looking at 4 years at Roma now will be worth more than the 4 year deals he gets offered in the summer if he sticks it out for another 6 months.

Roma are a top club who challenge for titles in Serie A and seem to be on the up again so if he's got a chance to go there I think he should take it.

The Times are right on the ball. I bet the pair of them are really surprised at this news.

Blind is actually a really good footballer and don’t think he has done anything wrong but think he’s not quite suited to the EPL. He has great reading of the game and awareness, he’s good on the ball but what he lacks is a bit of pace. I think he would do very well in the Serie A and sure there will be a few clubs looking at him.

As for Darmian, defends well but can’t attack. Would be very surprised if he doesn’t go in the summer.

Blind had a really good season playing CB under LVG but it's clear he's not really a Mourinho style player and he should've probably left last summer but he wanted to stay so can't knock him for that. Think we saw quite early that physically he wasn't going to be able to cut it in midfield but in defence he was a good player for where we were at that time, not sad to see him go as I think his time has come but he's contributed a lot in his 4 years and been pretty consistent.

Like you say the top Italian sides should be looking at him or I could see him going back to Ajax maybe.

I would assume Utd wil be letting him go fairly cheap with only 1 year on his deal I would imagine he'd be available for about 10m so he's someone these sort of clubs could afford.

Before they changed their approach, would have been ideal replacement for Mascherano in Barca's defence.

I'm not really sure where he will end up, he has weaknesses to play in all the positions he can play in due to his lack of pace and height. His quality on the ball and intelligence will help him but not surewhat teams will want him due to those physical weaknesses.

Not sure Ajax have the financial resources to bring him back but if we were to be interested in Justin Kluivert or De Ligt, a swap or player+cash deal may be on the cards, i'd suspect we'd loan those players back too. I think we're probably likely to be wary of signing players from the Dutch league at present though, if we were to sign someone from there it would be someone young though.

Italy would certainly be an option as a midfielder. AC Milan have been splashing the cash lately and he'd be an upgrade on what they've got I think. Roma may be willing to spend more having reached the semis of the CL and with De Rossi turning 35 this summer they may be looking to replace him.

I think he's the sort of signing a club with a lot of youngsters need which is why I think Ajax might make an exception to bring him back as you need a few senior players who stick around long term to guide these young players and show them the right way. The main issue for them would be wages because going to Utd from Ajax probably doubled his salary and I'm not sure he will want to go back to his old salary and that really limits his options as outside of the PL TV bubble the wages are much lower.

I was thinking in Italy he's not going to go to Juventus but that pack of clubs behind them Napoli, Inter, Roma, Lazio who have some but not a lot of money might be interested in a player like him but he's really much more of a defender than a midfielder these days so he'd probably suit a country like Spain where they want to play from the back a lot.

€16m potentially rising to 21m is a good deal for us.

Pretty much getting our money back after 4 years of decent service from Blind filled in wherever we needed and normally did a good job just didn’t fit with the new manager.

I always thought Blind was never really allowed to develop at United. When we first signed him, he was a holding midfielder with a fantastic long pass. Then LVG had one of his daft ideas to slot Blind into the central defense because he could not be bothered to sign a proper central back. Then Mourinho came along and shifted him to LB as cover for Shaw.

It's no wonder he failed to win a place in the team when he's been assigned the role of emergency solution. When the media started writing about Pogba demanding to be played in a role that he felt suited him best, everyone got on his back, claiming he was arrogant and spoiled and that it was no business of his to demand a position to be played in. Well, I think Blind is an example of what happens when players humbly obey whatever managers tells them. I think he could have developed into a great defensive midfielder. Perhaps not to the level of Kante or Keano, but definitely a very good one. He was aggressive, he could produce great tackles and was all over the place. And he could pick out a pass. With time, however, these qualities started to fade and he turned into a mediocre player who was forced to play in roles that did not suit his skills at all.

I surely wish him all the best at Ajax and hope they will help him rediscover his talent and abilities as a midfielder.

Daft idea putting him at CB?

His best season at the club was playing CB under Van Gaal he was brilliant that season most comfortable he ever looked in a Utd shirt.

Didn’t have the legs to be a centre mid in England and played to safe with his passing and as a left back he filled in but being right footed meant always coming inside and struggled vs quick wingers as he didn’t have a turn of pace.

Apparently had a last minute offer from Roma but heart was set on a return to Ajax

Yes, it was daft because in the long run everybody would have been better off if we signed a CB and Blind developed as a midfielder.

He might not have the legs for it, but he compensates with intelligence and excellent passing.

Good luck to him. Like him as a player but his lack of pace was always a problem in England. CB was his best position for us.

He's left footed

Can’t agree on that watching him always felt his stronger foot was the right one but he was good with both, as most players who come through Ajax are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back