Egypt v Uruguay, 13:00

Tuesday, 19th June 2018
Russia v Egypt, 19:00

Wednesday, 20th June 2018
Uruguay v Saudi Arabia, 16:00

Monday, 25th June 2018
Saudi Arabia v Egypt, 15:00
Uruguay v Russia, 15:00

Robbie Williams was excellent in the opening Ceremony.

Russians are one up. Saudi's look a terrible side.

Opening goal of the World Cup:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That second was a great goal! The touch was excellent to take out two defenders

Saudis are a rather weak team. This particular ties was selected for the opening to make the Russians seem good, I imagine. In fact, they play crappy football. They'll probably end up second in the group and move to the next round, but won't go any further than the round of 16.

They aren't going through their group. Egypt and Uruguay will qualify from this group.

Suarez and Cavani are going to put 5 or 6 past this Saudi side.

3-0 this Saudi team will have a goal difference of about -12 once Uruguay and Egypt get their hands on em.

They aren't going through their group. Egypt and Uruguay will qualify from this group.

I'm still not convinced by the Egypt team. Most of their players are from Middle-Eastern leagues and those that play in Premier League are nowhere near international level. So, I think the second place will be decided between them and Russia,and I think the latter has better chances. We'll see.

Before today Russia hadn't won a game in over a year. They'd lost their previous 8. They're the lowest ranked team in the competition and I think Egypt (Salah) will spank them!

Salah on the bench for Egypt.

Should be a good game regardless, I would say Uruguay are favourites but Egypt aren’t too shabby from what I’ve heard.

Missed the opening game but out of the office today, so football here I come!

I’ve taken an early lunch so that I can get back and watch it but expect Uruguay to beat them comfortably without Salah

I'd expect Uruguay to win they're one of the dark horses for me still got that strong core group of players who've performed well in the past and they've added a few younger more technical players into the team so they don't have to be as defensive as they were before.

If Salah is only on the bench then the shoulder must still be in a bad way

Their right back used to play for us. Probably go and have a great tournament

Their right back used to play for us. Probably go and have a great tournament
Yeah I thought Varela looked alright when he played for us. Definitely looked to have potential.

This game is a little dull. Needs a spark to insure it. And yeah I am also surprised that the stadium is not exactly packed.

He had a couple of decent games under LVG looked like he had talent going forward but was a bit naive defensively but I guess that's being a modern full back now.

I think a lot of the games won't be sell outs as not many nations have travelled in big numbers and I don't think the locals will come out in huge numbers to support.

Sorry to say but... What a freaking awful group. Can we make it so none of these teams go through? Sadly I think the same can be said of a few groups and they want to expand the format to 64 team?

Sorry to say but... What a freaking awful group. Can we make it so none of these teams go through? Sadly I think the same can be said of a few groups and they want to expand the format to 64 team?

It's 48 teams they want to expand it to and the reports are there will be a pre qualifying round where 16 teams will playoff for a spot in the group meaning you get 8 groups of 5 rather than 8 groups of 4 so the 32 teams who qualify automatically get 1 extra game to play in the group stage.

I didn't see the Uruguay game but the Russia game looked like fun, not every world cup game is great and memorable.

I think the next round of games will be interesting as Uruguay will want to run up a big score vs Saudi for the goal difference and for Egypt it's all or nothing vs Russia because if they lose they're going home.

Uruguay actually have plenty of talent in their side but they just didn’t fire against Egypt. If Cavani and Suarez are on it then Uruguay can beat anybody.

Egypt were poor but when Salah is back I think they’ll have more about them. Also Trezeguet didn’t really show all of his talent and I think they should have played Sobhi. So they also have potential.

The first two games weren’t great but I think there is more to come. Obviously not from Saudi as they are hopeless.

One of them is the host and won 5-0. Against anyone I don't think that can be knocked.
One of them has one of the hottest properties in world football currently in it but he missed their first game
One of them has Suarez and Cavani upfront.

They may not have been great games but you're being a bit harsh towards them,.

They may not have been great games but you're being a bit harsh towards them,.

Ok but in my opinion I don't wish to see of these teams in the knock outs. They are really not fun to watch.

As you've said Egypt rely on one player, Uruguay well I mean... Even with Cavani and Suarez I've never been entertained by them and yeah OK one is the host. A host that was coming in to the WC with the second worst recent record of teams playing at the WC? And they beat Saudi 5-0 so enough said about Saudi.

Well, I believe my suspicions about Egypt being overrated were proven accurate. Did they really think that one player, who's had one very good season, was going to drag them out of this group. This just proves again that football is a team sport, not a one-man show.

Well, I believe my suspicions about Egypt being overrated were proven accurate. Did they really think that one player, who's had one very good season, was going to drag them out of this group. This just proves again that football is a team sport, not a one-man show.

ahem, Ronaldo ;-)

I don't thik it helps he's probably not fir enough to play

That Russian centre forward will be in the PL next season he's a bit of a handful and can play a bit.

ahem, Ronaldo ;-)

I don't thik it helps he's probably not fir enough to play

Even without Ronaldo, Portugal is a decent team that can take on most of the teams out there. I think they'd easily beat Egypt with Salah on the pitch.

Salah isn't a one man team kind of player though he's never been that guy Liverpool's success was built around a really highly functioning front 3 and without the other two he's obviously not as effective as you can gang up on him which you can't really do with Liverpool because if you double up on Salah then it means someone else if free.

I've been really surprised by Russia everything I'd seen and read about them pre tournament suggested they were terrible the russian sides were basically cannon fodder in CL these days but they've been incredible in the first two games and I think it's good when the hosts go through the group.

Might be testing a few of these lads though we know the Russian don't always play fair on home soil ;)

I am just amazed at how bad my typing skills are after all these years, missing letters and whole words out. And I always, always type teh instea of the

hahaha, unfortunately that classic wasn't one of mine. Good ol Pak

Uruguay 3-0 Russia
Saudi Arabia 2-1 Egypt

Final standings

1st Uruguay 9pts
2nd Russia 6pts
3rd Saudi Arabia 3pts
4th Egypt 0pts

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now