Gareth Bale Revisited Part III

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be mental to sign him he’d cost £100m he’s on a stupid contract as well and his injuries mean his best years will be behind him. At his best he was electric so quick and strong but it’s clear his body can’t handle the workload year on year.

Madrid clearly want rid of him but unless you’re prepared to take a massive financial gamble he’s just not worth it in my opinion.

Paco Gonzalez: "Real Madrid is going to sell Bale this summer."

Probably would be good for Bale, it’s gone very wrong for him at Madrid what with the injuries and all.

Would you guys take him at United?

Obviously his injury woes would put me off, however he’s still a good age and is in his prime. If he was to get his injury problems out of the way then he would be a fine signing for someone. Madrid are not gonna let him go on the cheap and his wages are mahoosive though.

Tbf he’s exactly what we need. Another player that loves playing LWF

Doesn’t he play on the right? He is what we need we need a left footed attacker BUT he’s going to be stupidly expensive in transfer fee and wages plus his injury problems seem to be getting worse every season.

In theory he’s the perfect player for us but I think he’d be to big a gamble right now, I also think he’s a player who’s peaked we need players just hitting their prime not guys who are maybe about to decline. We’ve took that gamble with Sanchez.

The time to buy Bale was 2011 when he started to blow up at Spurs Utd didn’t roll the dice and force the move for him but we missed out just like we did on Madrid and now it’s to late.

Even as a biased Welshman, I wouldn't take him personally. And can't see us looking at attackers this summer, apart from Ibrahimovic, none leaving and we're well stacked in attack, just need to get them playing better and that's down to Mourinho mostly but improving what's behind them will also help.

If Real Madrid want Kane, expect some business. Alternatively, Salah for Bale at Liverpool?

He does play down the right for Madrid but he isn’t a right winger by any means. He only plays there because Ronaldo refuses to move he’s at his best down the left and if you’re signing a player for that sort of money play him where he’s at his best

He does play down the right for Madrid but he isn’t a right winger by any means. He only plays there because Ronaldo refuses to move he’s at his best down the left and if you’re signing a player for that sort of money play him where he’s at his best

His best season at Spurs he was on the right, he's been excellant playing on the right for Madrid, pretty sure he played on the right for Wales before going central. When he burst on the scene at Spurs he was an old skool left winger but he very quickly swapped sides and became the modern style inverted winger who wants to come inside and shoot rather than go outside and cross.

He'd be perfect for our right side if he wasn't so injury prone but then if he wasn't so injury prone Madrid wouldn't be desperate to move him on.

His best season at Spurs he was on the right, he's been excellant playing on the right for Madrid, pretty sure he played on the right for Wales before going central. When he burst on the scene at Spurs he was an old skool left winger but he very quickly swapped sides and became the modern style inverted winger who wants to come inside and shoot rather than go outside and cross.

He'd be perfect for our right side if he wasn't so injury prone but then if he wasn't so injury prone Madrid wouldn't be desperate to move him on.

He played from the left and drifted central in a free role. Aaron Lennon played down the right the entire season. So much so that when he signed for Madrid people expected them to move Ronaldo central play Bale from the left and Di Maria from the right.

His best game in a Madrid shirt that first season was probably the Cup final where Ronaldo didn't play and he played down the left. That's when the fans finally took to him and believed in him.

Bale doesn't like playing from the right. I remember reading that somewhere. I don't recall him playing right for Spurs though.

Here we go again is all I can really say to this...

And it'll be the same outcome as it has every time before.

I think he will want to leave Madrid this summer and I'll be honest I think we are the only club crazy enough to buy him.

He ticks all the boxes of what Utd need from an attacking player as he's left footed, he's versatile, he's very physical, he can play off the cuff which is how Mourinho likes his attackers to play but the injuries are a massive problem for any club looking to buy him.

His reported wage also makes him very hard to sign because he earns a lot more than Sanchez/Pogba do and with 4 years on that deal with Madrid still to run it's unlikely he will take a pay cut.

Reminds me a bit of RVP if you can get him and keep him fit he could be an absolute game changer, I mean Sanchez, Lukaku, Bale would be some front 3.

Yeah seeing some insane money being talked, 200m & 500k a week wages for a 28 year old injury prone right winger, no chance.

As @jsp says he ticks all the boxes regarding a right winger but the money talked is insane, zero value from our point of view and he only has 2 years till his pace goes, he loses that half a yard.

If that is the price then I can't see him having any takers, I would pay probably 100m max.

He said he was fit most of last season, on 4 weeks out through injury.

If we moved on Sanchez, or swapped him maybe it would be a goer. He certainly has the attitude required.

Yeah but he was fit because they weren't playing him every time he's been worked hard by that I mean expected to play twice a week he breaks down and gets injured playing him off the bench he can keep himself fit because the body isn't getting pushed as hard.

For what he's going to cost you need him to be like Lukaku playing almost every minute of every game and the last few years show he struggles with that workload.

Yeah but he was fit because they weren't playing him every time he's been worked hard by that I mean expected to play twice a week he breaks down and gets injured playing him off the bench he can keep himself fit because the body isn't getting pushed as hard.

For what he's going to cost you need him to be like Lukaku playing almost every minute of every game and the last few years show he struggles with that workload.
Agree with that, I think the same thing that got him pissed at Madrid is exactly whats good for his body and the Premiership is much more physical and the refs don't protect players as much. I am usually one to complain on age but having him, Sanchez and Matic could give us the experience we need to guide the younger players added to their match winning capacity I'd be all for it but his injury record is one big red flag.

A few years ago I read an article where the united fitness team had done a study and thought they knew a training program that would keep him fit.

They've probably all left now.

He's a game changer, if he is available we should at least seriously consider it. How much revenue would he generate offset against what he cost. They might be willing to take Sanchez.

Sanchez isn't going anywhere he's only been here 6 months give the guy a chance.

If any Utd player can make this deal happen in a trade situation it would more likely be Martial or De Gea as they would like De Gea as the number 1 but I think they'd like Martial to help reduce the age of that front line. I don't even think they'd want Pogba at this stage.

From what I can tell Bale gets a lot of muscle injuries rather than impact injuries and Madrid will have access to the same medical experts we do plus Bale will probably have his own people he trusts it just seems that his body isn't as robust as it was probably a result of rushing back from to many injuries to play so when he does push hard his body breaks. Giggs was the same even by the time he was 30 Utd were having to pick and choose his games as they knew 50 plus games a season with 3 games in a week would break him so they slowed his game down and reduced his workload so he could extend his career. Ronaldo has arguably done the same over the last few seasons he's become a lot less explosive and tends to stick central and conserve energy rather than going on lots of runs down the wing.

Yaa we need to consider a lot of factors before going all in on him. There issues like fitness and the impact of those injuries on his longevity, his wage because simply matching what he on at Madrid will further imbalance the wage structure and the fee Madrid will demand in contrast to the obvious benefits of having a huge superstar capable of giving us 20 goals and 15 assists from the wing over the next few years. Given that we have our young guns itching for game time I think bringing in Bale with a view to manage his workload by giving the likes of Lingard/Rashford/Martial game time would pay off. This could also be the move that takes the pressure off Pogba because the expectations and fee pressure will transfer to someone who isn't crushed by them but actually relishes them.

I'd like to think that Utd have been planning this summers transfer window for months we know he's probably available this summer and one worldie in a CL Final shouldn't really change how interested we are in him.

From the sounds of what has been coming out over the last few months Mourinho wants to bring Willian and based on reports last week a backup striker to Lukaku.

Bale right now I don't think is a luxury we can afford given the number of positions we need to fill his transfer fee and wages are like signing 3 players and I don't think this team needs another superstar.

From a footballing perspective Bale gives you what Willian can offer and more he is not someone that is scared of putting a defensive shift in but he will score and create much more than Willian besides the obvious commercial benefits. Mourinho might want Willian more but I think the suits will overrule him on this one and this is a signing we have been looking to make for over five seasons.

I'll say it again and if I'm wrong I'll happily eat some humble pie... But I don't think Bale is going to end up at United this summer He could end up in Manchester but even then I think actually he's not a fit or a need there at City.

City do spend a lot of money but so far they've resisted the urge to get involved in the super star signings & also the wages that come with that.

My guess is he ends up either at Madrid or PSG but even if Neymar was to go I'm not sure they'd really want Bale as a replacement.

City do spend a lot of money but so far they've resisted the urge to get involved in the super star signings & also the wages that come with that.

My guess is he ends up either at Madrid or PSG but even if Neymar was to go I'm not sure they'd really want Bale as a replacement.

Yeah I don't see it being a City kind of signing. I think once upon a time he would have been but I think Pep has a plan and he's building a team for long term domination. Signing big names doesn't necessarily fit with that and I think he has an idea of what he needs.

Yeah I don't see it being a City kind of signing. I think once upon a time he would have been but I think Pep has a plan and he's building a team for long term domination. Signing big names doesn't necessarily fit with that and I think he has an idea of what he needs.

I think 10 years ago when City first got the money and they were trying to make a splash he'd have been right up there street remember Robinho, their pursuit of Kaka, signing Tevez & Adebayor then Aguero they were interested in making statement signings. They kind of needed to get big names on board to attract others but over the last 5 years they've become much more calculated in what they do which is why I was always surprised by how hard they went for Sanchez last summer and again in January.

Despite what they said later on they were prepared to pay him what Utd offered which I think would have caused problems for them in terms of other players wanting new deals.

Both he and Klopp seem to be spending towards a plan and they are buying players who are ready to step up. Liverpool, in particular, have made the right moves and the players they have signed are at the ages where they are young enough and hungry enough to compete at the top level for a long time. Kinda what I hoped we would do.

I think 10 years ago when City first got the money and they were trying to make a splash he'd have been right up there street remember Robinho, their pursuit of Kaka, signing Tevez & Adebayor then Aguero they were interested in making statement signings. They kind of needed to get big names on board to attract others but over the last 5 years they've become much more calculated in what they do which is why I was always surprised by how hard they went for Sanchez last summer and again in January.

I think you're absolutely right. City had to sign the big names at first to show they were serious and to build themselves up. But now they have a strategy and a approach and I don't think Bale fits with that. Though I'm sure there will be people involved who would be tempted.

Both he and Klopp seem to be spending towards a plan and they are buying players who are ready to step up. Liverpool, in particular, have made the right moves and the players they have signed are at the ages where they are young enough and hungry enough to compete at the top level for a long time. Kinda what I hoped we would do.

Exactly! They have a plan, they have a way of playing and they are looking to add and improve to that style. That don't sign players for the sake of it. They don't sign players and then try to shoe horn them in to the side like Jose still seems to be trying to do.

Liverpool are building a plan? that has no defence?

I can't believe people on here are having a go at Jose's transfer business, when we don't know what it is yet.

Jose is suffering from at least 4 years of bad buying before him.

If you don't like him fine, lets not just use any excuse as stick to beat him.

Liverpool are a joke, I am glad we are not like them. City have been building that side for a good 4 years, and up until last year they had problems.

Liverpool just got shown up to be a one man team, which to be honest we highlighted when we played them by keeping Salah quiet, they have a woeful defence and just got battered by Madrid.

I can't believe people on here are having a go at Jose's transfer business, when we don't know what it is yet.

Liverpool are a joke, I am glad we are not like them. City have been building that side for a good 4 years, and up until last year they had problems.

Liverpool just got shown up to be a one man team, which to be honest we highlighted when we played them by keeping Salah quiet, they have a woeful defence and just got battered by Madrid.

That is the one spot where they probably haven't been getting it right. Karius, Cylne, Lovren, Matip & Klavan didn't really hit it off but they've found a gem in Robertson for around £10m but have had to pay a huge fee for Van Dijk.

Mourinho's signings haven't really come off so far which is why he's criticised yes bad signings were made under Moyes & LVG but Mourinho has had money to spend himself and so far the spending has been questionable and it's hard to say if they've massively improved the side. Liverpool & City are clearly buying with a plan Utd to me are the rich kids who just buy the most expensive things they can to flaunt their wealth not really thinking how to put the whole thing together.

Bale to Utd to use a quote by Zidane (about signing Beckham & selling Makalele) would be selling the engine to pay for another coat of gold paint on the bentley.

Liverpool are not a 1 man team they play as a team. Salah, Firmino & Mane were the 2nd, 3rd & 4th top scorers in the CL, Milner got the most assists yes losing Salah hurt unsettled them as they didn't really have a like for like player to bring on so everything had to change. Liverpool to me are a team who compliment each other and bring out the best from each other the sum of their parts is greater than the individual we are the opposite to that.

There are just a GK and a starting CB away from a really solid team, they have proven that they can score goals against anyone bar us and their current additions to their midfield will give them a solid platform for their forwards. A GK is their most important signing and I am glad Klopp remains blind to that.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back