Who would you have in Utd's team for next season from these players in their prime

Who would you have in Utd's team for next season from these players in their prime

• Total voters
That's a difficult question. I'd want to take Paul Scholes all day long. But I think going in to the current team you'd have to take Rio. We're crying out for a CB and he's one of the best ever seen.

Being honest though you'd just have them all back. Not one of them that wouldn't walk in to our starting 11 perhaps except Beckham because he wouldn't suit a 4-3-3 would he? But imagine him whipping in balls to Lukaku.

That's a difficult question. I'd want to take Paul Scholes all day long. But I think going in to the current team you'd have to take Rio. We're crying out for a CB and he's one of the best ever seen.

Being honest though you'd just have them all back. Not one of them that wouldn't walk in to our starting 11 perhaps except Beckham because he wouldn't suit a 4-3-3 would he? But imagine him whipping in balls to Lukaku.
Yeah I agree. It would be Scholes or Rio. Scholes would add so much to our midfield but we crave a leader at the back and we’ve never really replaced prime Rio, so he would be my choice for sure.

Although we certainly lack the arrogance of Cantona in our side!

I've gone Ferdinand I think all of the others even in their prime would struggle to adapt to the modern game and the way it's played whereas Ferdinand would just slot back in this team perfectly.

I'm not having that JSP. You could put Paul Scholes in any period of the game in his prime and he'd settle in effortlessly.

I'm not having that JSP. You could put Paul Scholes in any period of the game in his prime and he'd settle in effortlessly.

He was my next choice but in this team I'm not sure how he would do.

I actually had Becks as No.1 and Rio 2 just because, like IDFD says, Lukaku would just be a goal machine with those crosses from Becks

Got to be Cantona for me, proper leader, took a club on the verge that couldn't quite make the jump into the next dimension. Brought all the class of 92 along with him. Maybe without him at the club they wouldn't have progressed. They mention how they looked to him and his training after hours etc. So cool in front of goal, had vision, leadership, everything.

I actually had Becks as No.1 and Rio 2 just because, like IDFD says, Lukaku would just be a goal machine with those crosses from Becks

Weirdly I think in a modern team I think Becks might actually be a better centre mid than Scholes the game is so quick now in their and Becks had a proper engine in there and his passing both short and long would make him lethal but his role doesn't really exist anymore as teams down play out and out wingers anymore.

If Becks existed in the modern game he'd probably be a centre mid playing the way De Bruyne now plays at City.

To be fair that's how he ended up playing at Utd and England as centre mid but I never really bought into it. Great, great passer of the ball but his crossing was ever better.

I'm afraid I never thought Beckham was great, he was good, could cross and take a freekick. But very little else to his game.

He has been marketed very well.

Georgie on Becks

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

I'd disagree with that quote from Best on almost every point and the whole quote was probably said very tongue in cheek as Beckham's left foot was still decent, he was good in the air, he tackled back like no other winger and 265 games 62 goals which is 1 in 5 for a winger which back then was very good.

I think from 98-02 he was one of the best midfielders in the world and I think he's criminally under rated by fans because of everything that went on around him it was never the same after 02 when the whole "golden balls" Becks became a too much of a monster for Fergie to keep under control.

I have never bought into this list of stuff that Becks can't do. Apart from being a great crosser off the ball and a superb free kick taker, his passing both long and short was excellent. Always in front of the recipient so he is running on to it. He couldn't head a ball like Alan shearer but I can't think of many wingers that head better than him. His left foot wasn't as good as giggsy but guess what, he was right footed. Superb work rate too.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, he was. But he's not great for me. Is he getting into an all time united 22 squad, nope, I'm not sure he'd even get into a all time Fergie squad for me.

No doubt his marketing and management team have upped his status.

I like him though, seems like a real nice lad.

All time Fergie squad assuming it's 4-4-2 and you have to pick players where they actually played and all that on pure ability it's Ronaldo on the right wing but Beckham is the 2nd pick at RW I don't even see how that's up for debate, I loved Kanchelskis but his star shone bright for a short period and I don't think Sharpe or Valencia are pushing Becks to hard. I'd say he's pushing Ronaldo hard for the number 1 spot because he contributed to more success at Utd over a longer period and we had his peak years whereas Ronaldo had 3 amazing seasons then left.

I think it's chicken and egg with the marketing at some point you have to back up all the off pitch stuff with something on the pitch and Beckham did that on a regular basis with big goals or performances in big games. He did become a bit of a PR stunt towards the end with those loan moves at Milan & PSG while he was out in LA but the Milan fans were very impressed by him as they assumed he'd be rubbish and deep down I wonder if he regrets going to MLS from Real Madrid as he probably had a bit more to give at the top level.

My right would be Ronaldo with Kanchelskis as back up. I loved the way he played, such pace running at defenders, he could also cross and score, do the lot. I prefer the run at defenders type football of Kanchelskis to the Hollywood pass of Beckham. It's all opinions though isn't it. I much prefer fast attacking.

For me it doesn't matter how long the light shone for, Kanchelskis was one of the best players in a united shirt. RVP makes my 22 too. As does Robson who played his best football pre Fergie.

My 22 would be players in their prime.

Rvp pretty much won as a title but would we really pick him before yorke,Cole, cantona, Rooney, van nistelrooy. As for Becks for me there is only Ronaldo that would be s first pick for the right flank in front of him.

My right would be Ronaldo with Kanchelskis as back up. I loved the way he played, such pace running at defenders, he could also cross and score, do the lot. I prefer the run at defenders type football of Kanchelskis to the Hollywood pass of Beckham. It's all opinions though isn't it. I much prefer fast attacking.

For me it doesn't matter how long the light shone for, Kanchelskis was one of the best players in a united shirt. RVP makes my 22 too. As does Robson who played his best football pre Fergie.

My 22 would be players in their prime.

So you can't pick Ronaldo because his prime has been since he's gone to Madrid which is thoroughly depressing ha.

Also, your best Fergie 22 includes Robson who you admit played his best football pre Fergie.

These things are basically impossible to do because a Fergie 22 would span a 25 year period.

I mean which keeper misses out De Gea, Schmiechel or Van Der Sar

RVP for me, was one of the best strikers the game has seen. My four forwards would probably be

RVP, Cantona, Hughes, Ruud

I am not saying I am right, it's just opinion. I would have Kanchelskis above Beckham, I prefer that style.

Umm Scholes Beckham and Rio? Can I have all 3?

CB is a major need so I guess that's the starting point but having the magician back in CM is just so tantalising.

And then I think Becks would be a revelation in a Jose side. That hunger and work rate plus with a big man like Lukaku in the middle his crossing would be such a weapon.

So you can't pick Ronaldo because his prime has been since he's gone to Madrid which is thoroughly depressing ha.

Also, your best Fergie 22 includes Robson who you admit played his best football pre Fergie.

These things are basically impossible to do because a Fergie 22 would span a 25 year period.

I mean which keeper misses out De Gea, Schmiechel or Van Der Sar

I didn't mean they were at united players in their prime. My pick was players who have played for united, but have them at their best. RVP was one of the best strikers the game has seen. Not quite Van Basten but close.

Anyone else remember Papin, I loved him. Anyway, thats all off topic.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back