Arsene Wenger at Arsenal 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep 3-0 down at home team showing no fight rumours that he’s lost the dressing room it’s got to come to it’s end this season.

I know it’s cold and snowy but that isn’t the reason there’s a half full stadium tonight these tickets have been bought and paid for people are so dissolusioned that they can’t be bothered to go to the ground for a must win league game against one of the best teams in Europe.

Yeah I agree, the weather is clearly a factor but seriously why pay all that money to watch a team that looks so short of ideas. In the past this would have been a cracking contest but now it’s a foregone conclusion.

Although we have been saying for years this has to be his last season but he clings on. Maybe the board are worried of what will happen when he leaves and just can’t bring themselves to roll the dice. He has to go though, 100%.

I think that was the worry but can it get worse?

There’s clearly a big 6 forming in England now and Arsenal have gone 3rd, 2nd, 5th, 6th in the last 4 seasons and they were 2nd to Leicester and haven’t been near winning the league since 2009.

The teams that have over taken them are poorer clubs in Spurs and Liverpool so there’s really no excuse anymore if they don’t sort this out it won’t be a big 6 it’ll be a big 5.

There’s a terrible culture at Arsenal failure is rewarded not punished players & a manager get new improved contracts over and over again off the back of failure.

Yeah I don’t think it could get any worse, that’s why they just have to get it over with and get rid. He should have gone 5 years ago. The fact he gets new contracts like you say jsp even with all the failures speaks volumes of the club.

I didn’t see much of the first half but in the second half City could have picked them off at any time. They were okay at times but lacking any sort of confidence. Welbeck was atrocious it has to be said, it was quite sad to see how bad he was being a former United graduate and all.

Wenger in forevaaa!! Seriously though that was as poor as it comes. Especially after the hiding that they got from the same team a week back. It feels as if the players are just going through the motions.

Yeah I don’t think it could get any worse, that’s why they just have to get it over with and get rid. He should have gone 5 years ago. The fact he gets new contracts like you say jsp even with all the failures speaks volumes of the club.

I didn’t see much of the first half but in the second half City could have picked them off at any time. They were okay at times but lacking any sort of confidence. Welbeck was atrocious it has to be said, it was quite sad to see how bad he was being a former United graduate and all.

I look at players like Walcott who's probably had 3 contract renewals since joining Arsenal despite clearly never being good enough and there are probably countless others.

The real top talent eventually get sick of it and leave to go on to newer and better things and in the 00's when Vieira left that was partly financial as Arsenal couldn't pay the wages that the top Italian sides were offering but more recently I think it's because they've become sick of the manager and the way he's setting them up to fail.

The idea that they play beautiful football went about 4 years ago as well they basically became so reliant on Sanchez and Ozil that the midfield stop being creative especially with Cazorla getting injured and never replaced.

How do you get a player to go the extra mile when you know there's no consequence to failure at Utd in comparison with Ferguson he had players he was loyal to but he wasn't afraid to be ruthless and move people out he did it to Kanchelskis, Ince & Hughes, then Stam, then Beckham, then Keane then Van Nistelrooy and he was about to do it Rooney but he retired it kept players on their toes. Being an Arsenal player is a great life but there needs to be responsibility if you don't meet the standard you lose your job and go elsewhere that simply hasn't happened at Arsenal. Who was the last player that Arsenal forced out?

It's an arrogance with him not to want to admit defeat. Not to concede that his players and his staff that his been so loyal to, have let him down and arent good enough. That he isn't the best thing for the club anymore. And as a result his destroyed everything he built at that club. His got no legacy now which is terrible for someone who's given over 25 years of his life to something.

Football has changed so much during his reign and his not moved with the times. Tactically his so out dated. He cant spot a gem in a youngster anymore like he used to because everyone's got better at it themselves. He cant motivate the players no more. But most importantly he cant be competitive over a 38 game season. People will point to 3 FA cups in 4 years which is a great achievement. But knock out football isn't consistent. Wenger cant pick, manage or motivate a squad to challenge for a Premier league anymore, and he hasn't been able to for a long long time.

Fergie knew when enough was enough. He knew City was going to come strong. And he knew that he didnt have it in him to rebuild and re-fix another united side. So he went out on top when he could and let someone else try. Fergie went out the winner he was. Something that Wenger will never do.

I think the big problem for him is he's a guy who lives and breathes football it's his life 24/7 he has no other passions and in terms of his personal life I think he divorced from his wife a long time ago and his kids are all grown up so if he gives up his job at Arsenal what does he do? He does a bit of punditry in France but I think he's a man who fears retirement as he'd be bored. He even said years back he envied Ferguson because he had his wine and horses to distract him from football whereas he admitted he didn't have that he's a workaholic who also takes his work home watching hour after hour of football matches to try and spot players.

If Arsenal did sack him it would be interesting to see what he does? Will he take another job somewhere else potentially big jobs like PSG could be available in the summer maybe even Real Madrid but you would imagine the days of him walking into those jobs are over, if the Monaco manager left maybe he'd go back to them for a nice little retirement package and they are a club who are looking to build a young squad. Could he go for an international management role the FA would probably love to have him and if France flop at the World Cup he could end up with them.

I think Arsene can still spot a young talent but the problem is every other club is fishing in his pond and they've got better bait now these untapped markets that Wenger knew about when he first came here in 98 are where everyone is shopping now and clubs attitudes have changed young players now cost more than senior players. I do wonder if at times he's had to be the fall guy for the board in front of the fans when money was tight he was the guy who had to face the media every week knowing there was no money and trying to put some PR spin on another bad transfer window while the club paid off stadium debt but those days are over he's been getting money it's just been spent badly.

I don't think Fergie retired because of City he retired because of his age and also because of his wife's sister dying so he felt he needed to look after her now as she'd lost her best friend who'd keep her company while Fergie was off with Utd. Fergie would love nothing more than to see off City like he did with Arsenal & Chelsea when everyone was suggesting his reign was over and it might have been the end of him but he'd have gone down swinging but he was fortunate that he got to go out on a high as champion. Wenger has had these chances with FA Cup success 3 times in 4 seasons personally I think he should've gone after the first one but he didn't he carried on and things have continued to deteriorate.

I agree Fergie had lots of other stuff going on in his life but I still think he was brave and wise enough to know when to walk away. Wenger isnt either of those things and as a result he wont leave that job with anywhere near the dignity that Fergie did or anywhere near the dignity Wenger on paper deserves.

We walked the league Fergie's last season but it didn't cloud his judgement. He knew we had players getting older, contracts running out and ultimately a rebuild that still isn't finished 5 years on. So yes personal reason played a massive part in his decision but also there's that commitment to a squad over haul that takes time and doesn't offer a promise on working out well, while all the while people asking 'can he still do this?.' Leaving on top was the best decision he made for himself on a personal level but also on a professional level because his legacy can and will not ever be questioned. Wenger is like the crazy old guy stuck on 'the one arm bandit' slot machine. Just one more spin please! on the hope of hitting another Jackpot.

I think had Fergie stayed Utd would've challenged for the title the following season with that squad because he knew how to make it tick and keep it running on full steam he knew it had a few creaking parts in it and he probably would've addressed them that summer that squad he left behind was nowhere near as bad as people who wanted to make excuses for Moyes made out. He himself had managed Utd through some tough years in the transfer market while debts had to be paid down investment in the first XI was reduced some even argue he made sure he left the money for the next manager to spend as he knew he'd need to make changes.

Arsenal is totally different though they went 9 seasons between FA Cup wins in 2005 & 2014 in that time they went from a team who were a serious contender for the league title every season to a team who accepted top 4 as the ambition. It did become harder to keep pace with Chelsea/City winning the football owner lottery which brings success and Utd going to new levels in terms of commercial revenue but Arsenal didn't try and change with the times they're a club stuck in the early 00's.

If Fergie doesn’t retire I think we win the title again the following season. City won it with 86 points. This season City look a dominant force but they haven’t before this year and they’ve still never retained it.

We get another solid season out of Evra Rafael Van Persie Kagawa Nani Evans Hernandez all who flourished at times under Fergie and looked different players under Moyes/LVG. I don’t think it was Fergie retiring that set us so far back but the damage caused by Moyes. He broke players like Rafael and didn’t know how to manage a squad of such quality. There’s a story the does the rounds where he told Rio Ferdinand to go and watch videos of Jagielka

Rio Ferdinand hits out at David Moyes's tactics while in charge of Manchester United

Moyes totally destroyed the winning mentality Fergie has installed in that side and we still haven’t recovered. That’s why the next arsenal appointment is crucial. They can’t afford to get it wrong

There’s a story the does the rounds where he told Rio Ferdinand to go and watch videos of Jagielka

From Ferdinand's book:

DNLDlCqW4AU0JVy.jpg

Premier League: Brighton 2-1 Arsenal - 4th March 2018

Arsenal 2-0 down inside half hour against Brighton

The first time in 16 years that Arsenal have lost 4 consecutive matches.

Wenger will surely step down in the summer.

If they lose to Milan on Thursday could they do the unthinkable and sack him?

Like us last season that’s their last shot at glory and the only route into CL next season.

he's a great coach, along with Poch they were my choices for the united job.

I think he’s a terrible choice for Utd but he could work at Arsenal now they’ve put directors of football in place so the next manager will just be coaching and picking the team, he’d be awful at Utd as we still ask our manger to be in charge of pretty much everything first team related.

He coached the best group of players in their generation to a World Cup but international management is very different to club management you see the players every few months and have meaningless games most of the time club manager pressure is on 24/7 and you get almost no time to coach players.

If he comes this summer to he will only have 4 weeks from World Cup finishing to new season starting so no time to assess squad and almost no pre season.

It must be the lack of crowds thats been the final straw. His survived poor results. Not challenging for titles. Protests. Toxic atmospheres. Everything. But people voted with their feet in the end.

In fairness to him if you stuck me in charge of Arsenal i''d have done exactly the same this season. Go out and have a right old spend up. Let the contracts of the big names run down. Cause a mess a leave. Well done Wenger!

Think its a good time to announce, just before the At Madrid game, get the crowds back onside for those two massive games, glad he has done it to be honest, give him the send off he deserves, hated him for years and years but jesus I don't half respect him, the battles in the 90s/00s were just epic.

Think its a good time to announce, just before the At Madrid game, get the crowds back onside for those two massive games, glad he has done it to be honest, give him the send off he deserves, hated him for years and years but jesus I don't half respect him, the battles in the 90s/00s were just epic.
Yeah the Fergie/Wenger battles were legendary!

It’s been clear for a number of years that Arsenal were stagnating and needed some freshening up but Wenger just plugged away and to be honest I thought he’d be there forever. But he has been a terrific manager in this country.

Wonder who Arsenal will look to replace him. I read a story this morning with Wenger endorsing Patrick Vieira to eventually take charge - could be too soon for that though. If I was putting a bet right now I would go for Tuchel. Although Simeone could be a good bet.

Tuchel to PSG is regarded as 99% done

Simeone to knock him out the Europa league then replace him?

I think Arsenal will win it now. Great timing in the announcement. Fans on side the players will want to run through walls to send out a legendary manager in the right way.

Think it's good that he's going completely rather than moving upstairs.

It's been time for a long time now.

My money is on Ancelotti.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone else find it weird everyone being nice to Wenger?

I thought our fans would be respectful in terms of it was our biggest premier league rivalry but a touch of class from the club too!

Man Utd did Arsenal and Wenger proud yesterday. It was brilliant to see that with a major rival. Respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back