Status
Not open for further replies.
His very much like an old fashioned defender playing in the modern day. He is capable of defending well like he did today and at Sevilla the other night. But he looks so awkward playing out from the back. He moves like a robot when he tries to steady himself and play a pass. Plus his got no consistency about him what so ever. It is a shoe in to have a howler against palace next Monday after 2 good games.

But credit where it's due today. He was aggressive. He defended on the front foot. Handled Morata well. But long term his still a no for me.

Premier League: Crystal Palace 2-3 Manchester United - 5th March 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tough night for him up against Benteke a striker who historically has given him plenty of problems but got us back in it with a goal

He was poor for Palace's second goal, but otherwise was mostly fine.

13 clearances
10 aerial duels won
3 (100%) tackles won

Mourinho named him man of the match.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool - 10th September 2018

He was excellent.

He’s having a very good season and has been one of United’s best players.

I honestly think we watch different Chris Smalling’s at times. He was good today but no better than anyone else in the back 4. They all had good games.

You just have to appreciate he isn't a classical footballer. In general he has defended really well

Was good in open play but was dominated on set pieces by Van Dijk who could’ve scored on a few corners.

Think Van Dijk is a bit unstoppable on set pieces because he’s a giant and reads the flight of the ball so well.

Was good in open play but was dominated on set pieces by Van Dijk who could’ve scored on a few corners.

Think Van Dijk is a bit unstoppable on set pieces because he’s a giant and reads the flight of the ball so well.
Few corners? I only remember him getting the better of Smalling on one corner. Also don’t think he is unstoppable because we just stopped him from scoring today.

Few corners? I only remember him getting the better of Smalling on one corner. Also don’t think he is unstoppable because we just stopped him from scoring today.

First half Smalling lost him on 3 corners and 1 ended up with him missing from about 6 yards and 2nd half he had another header that looked over the bar.

In total I think Van Dijk had 3 headed attempts at goal all off target my point was it’s hard to stop him winning the header because he’s so good but Smalling struggled to even stay close to him at times.

FA Cup: Manchester United 2-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - 17th March 2018

Another good performance.

Premier League: Manchester City 2-3 Manchester United - 7th April 2018

Premier League: Bournemouth 0-2 Manchester United - 18th April 2018

Good performance nice goal and he had a real ding dong battle against Wilson which I think he just about dominated and he was harshly booked for their little scuffle as Wilson was the person causing it by having his shirt.

FA Cup Semi-Final: Manchester United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 21st April 2018

He kept Kane quiet again.

FA Cup Final: Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United - 19th May 2018

He had a good game.

He tends to preform in the bigger games and I think really that's why Jose has stuck with him.

To be honest with you Smalling has been very good this season, yes there is the odd game where he isn’t great but that’s applicable to most defenders. I think if we can get someone in next to him like Alderweireld I would be quite happy for him to be in a first choice pairing.

The fact Jose changes the central defensive pairing most week does not help one bit. One week it’s Bailly, another it’s Lindelof, then it’s Jones. We crave a pairing that plays most weeks together to build a partnership.

Smalling has done well this season bar a few really bad games but this is Manchester United, not Everton. We need a CB that is world class not just 'good'. Gary Cahill is good. Would we want him? No

That is true of every position practically. Moreover if you use that argument all our centre half need to go and bring in 4 more.

Smalling has done well this season bar a few really bad games but this is Manchester United, not Everton. We need a CB that is world class not just 'good'. Gary Cahill is good. Would we want him? No
Otamendi is what I would class as good, same for Stones, Kompany better but not world class. However, City walked the league. Smalling can’t help the fact our attack is slow and ponderous. The blame for our poor performances should be mostly on the attack.

Our defensive record is good with major help from De Gea. I’ve said in another thread but the sniping at Smalling is ridiculous because he’s been very good this season.

Smalling was fine yesterday probably the best of a bad bunch on the day but is he good enough to be a starting CB in a side that wins leagues and European cups?

I’d say no chance might be a place for him in a squad that does these things but not a starting XI.

You may well be right but he has been the best that we have. I don't think you start the process of getting rid of the best. For me start by getting rid of Jones and Rojo, probably the most injury prone, and replace them with a world class centre half. We then have the new guy, Smalling, Bailley, Lindelof and maybe Tuanzebe. We then move forward from there.

You may well be right but he has been the best that we have. I don't think you start the process of getting rid of the best. For me start by getting rid of Jones and rojo, probably the most injury prone, and replace them with a world class centre half. We then have the new guy, smalling bailley, lindelof and maybe tuanzebe. We then move forward from there.

Can’t disagree with that. I’d let those 2 go this summer it’s time to move on.

You may well be right but he has been the best that we have. I don't think you start the process of getting rid of the best. For me start by getting rid of Jones and Rojo, probably the most injury prone, and replace them with a world class centre half. We then have the new guy, Smalling, Bailley, Lindelof and maybe Tuanzebe. We then move forward from there.

Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back