Old School United

I loved how we left 2 maybe 3 at the back and just went for it. Its what we used to do. Fair play to Jose's subs and how attack minded it was. We were so poor. The big names didn't turn up for much of it. But we still found a way to win. Great sign.

Gonna throw in a clique, but that was a game of 2 halves. The first was Jose crap tactical negative football, the second was what us as Utd fans have been wanting and he let them go at it in an attacking formation and look what happened.

I wonder if this will be a wake up call to Jose and show him what we can do with the shackles let loose

I loved how we left 2 maybe 3 at the back and just went for it. Its what we used to do. Fair play to Jose's subs and how attack minded it was. We were so poor. The big names didn't turn up for much of it. But we still found a way to win. Great sign.

There's part of me that thinks when you see us do that if we just did that from the start would our attack blow away these weaker sides by half time in most games like City & Liverpool often do?

There's part of me that thinks when you see us do that if we just did that from the start would our attack blow away these weaker sides by half time in most games like City & Liverpool often do?

Nah. Most likely it would leave our defense too exposed and we may end up conceding too many goals on the counter. We may look pretty playing that sort of football but will never win a league playing that way.

Nah. Most likely it would leave our defense too exposed and we may end up conceding too many goals on the counter. We may look pretty playing that sort of football but will never win a league playing that way.

I don't think we will ever win it playing the way we are at the moment, the way we play at the moment especially away I think you stand more chance of going 1-0 down than going 1-0 up which makes the game even harder. I'd rather go 1-0 down chasing the game trying to get the first goal than go 1-0 down playing defensively.

Not saying we go all out attack all the time but put teams especially bad ones under pressure from the start away from home and see if they collapse, we seem to start quite negatively before coming out to play which is sometimes hard because if the opposition start well then there players and fans are up and we then have to wrestle the momentum off them. In the first half Utd barely sustained any attacking pressure in 45 minutes this was the same vs Seville & Newcastle for 90 minutes previously.

I don't think we will ever win it playing the way we are at the moment, the way we play at the moment especially away I think you stand more chance of going 1-0 down than going 1-0 up which makes the game even harder. I'd rather go 1-0 down chasing the game trying to get the first goal than go 1-0 down playing defensively.

Not saying we go all out attack all the time but put teams especially bad ones under pressure from the start away from home and see if they collapse, we seem to start quite negatively before coming out to play which is sometimes hard because if the opposition start well then there players and fans are up and we then have to wrestle the momentum off them. In the first half Utd barely sustained any attacking pressure in 45 minutes this was the same vs Seville & Newcastle for 90 minutes previously.
You usually don’t stop at 1 if you go down a goal. You tend to concede 2-3 more goals and coming back from that is not possible week in week out as pool have shown. The right mix of defense and attack needs to achieved to win a league. There is a reason why the team which concedes the least amount of goals wins the league most years.

You usually don’t stop at 1 if you go down a goal. You tend to concede 2-3 more goals and coming back from that is not possible week in week out as pool have shown. The right mix of defense and attack needs to achieved to win a league. There is a reason why the team which concedes the least amount of goals wins the league most years.

Utd certainly don't haha!

I think having a solid defence is important but the team that normally wins the league normally has the best goal difference and that normally is a result of scoring a lot of goals. Chelsea teams have had solid defences but they always scored a lot of goals in the seasons where they were successful whereas Liverpool teams used to barely concede any but not score enough they seem to have gone total opposite in the last 5 years.

City have the best defence partly because they're so good with the ball that they do almost no defending in terms of defensive actions (interceptions, blocked shots and clearences) they've made 781 this season, Spurs are next best with 987, Utd are actually 7th on this list with 1,180.

As a team we are doing way way way to much defending and our clean sheet records are down to us having a brilliant keeper not a brilliant defence, I know that's a drum I bang a lot on here but that's because I think it's true take him out and we'd probably be similar to Liverpool in terms of goals conceeded.

Some teams have great defensive records because they spend most of the game attacking I don't think City have a great defence but the way they play basically makes it near impossible to get to their goal.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back