Smalling: From Maidstone to Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people have questioned this buy, but Fergie looks like he's got another bargain here, could have been worth double in a few years, but I think he'll get better with us than had he stayed at Fulham. The players he's got round him, he's similar to Rio, so that's good for a start, and the coaching is brilliant too. I think Jonny Evans has gone down to 4th in the pecking order now too, but I don't think he was helped by the poor start, don't blame him for it, but that's the way things go, had Smalling been playing I don't think it would have made much difference as the problem seems to lie in midfield.

He's evolving quite well every day. I was impressed in re to his long passes. I still remember that assist for Gibson against Scunthorpe. Pure class.

But now i'm even more impressed with him, in a overall aspect.He seems to be more solid and confident in his game. And this has been reflected in his recent performances. If he keeps this level of evolution, In a very near future, He'll no longer get worried when Vidic or Ferdinand got injuried.

I didn't think he looked too good in the Community Shield to be honest, looked very nervous, understandably. Gave the ball away in the box but it didn't lead to anything and then I think he could have done better with the Sturridge shot that lead to the goal. Since then though i've been pleasantly surprised.

Wolves game the other night was probably his biggest test so far, they did more attacking than Rangers, Valencia and Bursaspor did, Scunthorpe was probably more of a test than them aswell.

There is a huge difference between someone's passing ability and his composure on the ball. I worry a bit when the ball is at his feet, he never looks confident when pressured. His ball distribution on the other hand is very good. He still looks very raw though, it could be two or three years (depends on the number of appearances he gets) before we really get to see what kind of player he really is. When you have Sir Alex and Wenger chasing after your signature, you must have some potential!

I've been impressed with him and would have him in the side over Evans in a flash. Two things impress me about him.
1. He brings the ball forward well
2. His passing range for a centre-half is superb

Big Chris Smalling fan. I can see us having the captain of England and the captain of Ireland as our centre backs in the future. Two top draw youngsters there, Jonny has been off form lately but there's no doubt in my mind he's one of the best young defenders around. Can't think of many better than him in his age bracket around Europe. Pique maybe? Anyone else?

Chris is just a really impressive individual all round i think. For someone of his age and inexperience he speaks so well and is a natural leader.
Anyone else ever get those 'hunches' when it comes to players? One day you see a player and you just think 'yeah, he's gonna make it.' I had this with Smalling when i seen him against Chelsea for Fulham, and even though he scored an own goal in that game i text my mate saying this lad is gonna play for England. A few months later my mate text me saying we'd signed him!

Big Chris Smalling fan. I can see us having the captain of England and the captain of Ireland as our centre backs in the future. Two top draw youngsters there, Jonny has been off form lately but there's no doubt in my mind he's one of the best young defenders around

Northern Ireland

I think Evans struggling has been overplayed. Most of our defensive problems have stemmed from giving the ball away in midfield, the full backs have been the next problem. We have a very strong defensive unit, you look at Chelsea's defence and it's weak but they've managed to keep clean sheets due to keeping the ball better in midfield. Essien is key for them, we don't really have someone like him.

Obviously Jonny Evans is suffering from a major dip in form. We all know what he’s capable of, but at the moment Chris Smalling is the better of the two. I don’t think this is about comparing the two players in an overall sense, as I believe both have futures at the club and it is tough to compare two players when one is currently in form and the other is not. Chris Smalling has come out and surprised a lot of us with how he’s played, which I think is brilliant. I don’t think we have to choose the two for the future. I see Smalling as Rio’s eventually replacement and Evans as Vidic’s. Evans has proven in the pass he’s a quality centre back; he will rediscover his form.

If he keeps playing as well as he has been it will prove an excellent transfer by Sir Alex. Based on recent performances though, you have to say right now Smalling is the better choice to fill in should Rio or Vidic get injured.

Agree, on current form Smalling has to be our 3. choice. But we must make sure Evans get time so he can get past his lack of form. He won't get past it if Smalling always gets the nod.

Rather have Smalling playing instead of Evans - Evans is one of the worst United players I have ever seen. No pace, can't tackle, can't head and can only use his left.

Rather have Smalling playing instead of Evans - Evans is one of the worst United players I have ever seen. No pace, can't tackle, can't head and can only use his left.

Clearly you have seen Evans play for the first time this season.

I guess you said about the same of fletch a couple of years ago. In Fergie we trust!

Fletcher was never shit.He was always going to come good cos of his energy and good tackling.his creativity has vastly improved in past 3 seasons or so

Wow! really harsh on him mate, agree that he's been bad this season but he was a rock last season, everyone goes through bad patches, this must be his, give him time, i'm sure he'll be our no. 1 in the future.

and he's an excellent header of the ball, good tackler and has ok pace, about as much as Vida i think.

Wow! really harsh on him mate, agree that he's been bad this season but he was a rock last season, everyone goes through bad patches, this must be his, give him time, i'm sure he'll be our no. 1 in the future.

and he's an excellent header of the ball, good tackler and has ok pace, about as much as Vida i think.

He has never see Jonny Evans play before this season if he means what he said

Lol, only explanation i can think of too!!

Smalling has been excellent since he's joined, but his time at Fulham wasn't so great either, he did show a lot of promise but his game was riddled with errors, i wasn't too sure about him actually. but he's improved a lot since he's joined us. really good to see

Evan's might be playing bad but he's been terrific over the last two years and has proved that he's more than a capable backup to Rio and Vida, so i don't think any player loses his ability in a matter of months, just a matter of bad form to me, probably carrying an injury??

He is another super talent. We've got 3 new starlets in Smalling, Hernandez and Bebe. All they need is match-time. Smalling has been superb from the start except that penalty giveaway.. But mistakes are the secret of success. He learns very quickly, that's a plus point about him.. I feel Smalling must be given more first team chances than Evans and Brown.

Don't think Smalling has been truly tested yet. The teams he's faced have been more defensive, he hasn't had to deal with much pressure yet. I think he'll be great anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back