The Battle to Keep Fellaini | Fellaini signs new contract until 2020

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Rumours seem to be growing the he will leave in January as he’s not prepared to sign a near deal and with only 6 months left on his contract Utd are forced to sell.

Fee rumoured to be around £8m

I’m not a fan but surely we can’t afford for him to leave mid season and not be replaced.

Is the source The Mirror? If yes, the same article claims United are interested in Fred from Shaktar Donetsk. What type of player is Fred?

They brought Fred to replace Fernandinho. So his more of a breaker up of play type player then anything else. I’ve only seen him in bit parts when watching highlights really, so can’t make a solid judgement. Either way Fellaini for 8 million is a bargain.

The story has been going around online all week but the mirror picked it up today.

The issue with Fred or most players in January is we will have to pay a premium the mirror says he recently extended his contract and he will be cup tied for CL games for the rest of the season.

£8m for a guy with 6 months on his contract isn’t to bad but Utd shouldn’t have got themselves into this situation.

Seems to me like Fellaini has either had enough of the way he’s treated by the fans or Utd aren’t offering him what he can earn at Besiktas. Turkey has low taxes so they can offer very competitive wages to players.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Fellaini has had enough of the United fans being lukewarm to him. £8m would be a steal for Besiktas because deep down he is a good player, he does foolish things, he looks a little clumsy but he’s effective.

Don’t know anything about Fred so can’t comment but like jsp said it’s January so we would have to pay some mega money. Think we have been linked with Forsberg as well today, it’s definitely time when we’ll be linked with a whole host of names!

From what I’ve read Herrera Fellaini and Mata have all had their contracts extended

This could be a funny situation. Fellaini leaving for £8m is a very good deal for someone and I'm sure all the Utd fans taht have been moaning about him will now be moaning he's leaving for only £8m!

I think we would be crazy to let him go in Jan unless we can get someone else in.

I'm hoping a deal for Griezmann might be possible in Jan but I cant see it.

Utd never usually do any business in January like most of the big clubs.

I think January deals are always tricky the clubs in the prem or in Europe are unlikely to sell you their best players mid season even at inflated priced, the best hope are players who maybe are struggling to get games or have fallen out with current managers who need a move before the world cup because they're worried they might lose their place in the squad.

The one who might be a possibility is Ozil if the rumours of our interest are true then Arsenal might decide they have to sell him now rather than lose him for nothing in the summer, it's not like Ozil is pulling up any trees for them anyway. He's not really a direct replacement for Fellaini if the big man is going then I guess the club will need to recall Periera from Valencia and put some faith in McTominay as cover, if Carrick is fit then that also helps but even towards the end of last season he looked like his time was up was very surprised he decided to carry on.

Ozil would be like buying a Miki no.2. I can't see him being a Mourinho type player, he's a fancy Dan who perfoms when he wants to and when the chips are down he disappears.

Ozil would be like buying a Miki no.2. I can't see him being a Mourinho type player, he's a fancy Dan who perfoms when he wants to and when the chips are down he disappears.

Mourinho is a massive fan of Ozil from their time at Real Madrid and Ozil asked him to write the foreword to his recent biography, I expect Mourinho to manage him properly if he did come in he'd be subbed off when he's not performing and he wouldn't be mothered like he is by Wenger. Mourinho has often indulged these creative players Deco, Ozil, Sneijer & Fabregas were all important players in his teams it was only really that first Chelsea team where he didn't have one as he had Lampard banging 20 goals a season from midfield.

I think the thing with Ozil is the better the team around him is the better he is just look at him when he plays for Germany he's been the national team player of the year 5 years out of 6. If he came in then you have to say that's probably curtains for Mata and maybe even Mhiki but he adds another option to our forward line and if we're going to play a "number 10" we might as well have the guy who almost defines the position playing there.

I think the thing with Ozil is the better the team around him is the better he is just look at him when he plays for Germany he's been the national team player of the year 5 years out of 6.

I'm shocked!!! Very shocked.

Agreed he is good when he's on it but his attitude seems pants at The Arse. I'm sure the Arse fans wouldn't be too bothered if he came to Utd.

Maybe a new challenge is what he needs so it would be worth a shot with him I'm sure.

I'm shocked!!! Very shocked.

Agreed he is good when he's on it but his attitude seems pants at The Arse. I'm sure the Arse fans wouldn't be too bothered if he came to Utd.

Maybe a new challenge is what he needs so it would be worth a shot with him I'm sure.

It seems like he's a guy who needs to be kept on his toes Mourinho at Madrid subbed him off a lot when he was closing out games and even benched him in games where he needed his team to be solid whereas I get the impression that at Arsenal he feels like he can do what he wants, that club seems to lack any real discipline. Ozil & Sanchez seem to be able to do what they want when they want and there's no real punishment handed out to them, it's a culture that I think has seen a lot of players take liberties at that club over the years as failure is rewarded not punished.

For me he's a very specific tool bit like Fellaini but the complete opposition if you're going to dominate the ball from the start of the game you want Ozil in your team to help you pick the lock of a packed defence but if you're going to sit deep and defend and look to win games on set pieces you probably want a guy like Fellaini. I think Ozil is a luxury that you can afford if you've got world class players around him especially a midfield that will dominate as a 2 and can keep feeding him the ball but at Arsenal he's just the lightning rod when anything goes wrong even if it's not his fault. I guess the easiest way to describe it is at times he looks like an F1 car in an off road rally it's an awesome car but being used in the wrong conditions it's useless and it's the same but in reverse for Fellaini.

Where Fellaini is strong is if you're playing a team who love to press the ball he's a great out ball because you can go long to him and he's great at bringing it down on his chest and making the ball stick.

If Fellaini does go we're putting huge faith in Matic & Pogba staying fit for the rest of the season which I think is a massive gamble to take for £8m it's almost worth letting him walk away for nothing at the end of the season if we can't agree a new deal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So a summer go-go or a no-no?

I happen to think Jose will convince him to stay because he has super faith in him but he could quite easily say ‘Nah fancy a new challenge, buh-bye then’.

I guess it will be Fellini’s last big contract and if Accrington Stanley (or whoever) offer him 100k a week more than Utd and more game time then there will only be one outcome.

He apparently signed on a contract worth £100k-120k a week and I don't think his performances warrant him moving up the pay scale as he is a hot and cold player who isn't going to play every game. If he's getting an offer from Turkey which is more money you can't really knock him for taking it he doesn't really owe us everything he's had to put up with a lot of grief because of his association to Moyes.

I think Mourinho will push the club hard to keep him he's made that known publically but it all depends what Fellaini is demanding if he wants £150k a week over 5 years we probably can't really stretch that if he is happy with a 2-3 year extension then the club might be able to give him a pay rise. If you give him a long term contract you are basically accepting you'll never be able to move him on.

If it was up to me let him go on a free but Jose likes him and he at least uses him properly when he does play him and you can't deny that he's contributed in a positive way to the 3 trophies the club has won in the 4 seasons he's had so far and hopefully there's more to come this season.

The difference in Turkey is the wage isn't taxed as much. I've grown to appreciate him a bit more but i'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over him leaving if that does happen. There are a lot of better players out there.

Mourinho has once again publically expressed his frustration over him not getting a new contract he says it's currently between the player and the board to sort out as he doesn't have involvement in contracts but it's very clear he wants the big man to stay and he's fighting his corner to get him the new deal.

He obviously likes the player but it's probably going to help him with the dressing room knowing that if you are one of his guys he's prepared to back you when you need your contract sorting.

Telegraph

Utd have offered Fellaini a new contract worth £150k a week, Fellaini camp holding out for £170k a week.

Don’t have exact numbers but I believe £170k would make him 5th highest earner on the pay roll behind only Pogba, Zlatan, De Gea & Lukaku who all earn over £200k a week.

There’s a role for a guy like Fellaini but he shouldn’t be on that sort of money if we’ve offered him £150k a week that’s crazy but it seems like everyone at Utd is taking the p*ss with wage demands these days so why shouldn’t he.

I'd let him go. Yes he's been useful at times but we really should be upgrading on him. £170k a week is what £9m a year? Assume he'll want a 4+1 deal. That's £45m. See you later mate.

Also he's on 75k. £150k doubles his wages. That's a big enough payrise for anyone.

I also believe Zlatan is now on £125k a week and took a big paycut to rejoin. So it would make him our 4th highest earner. And he doesn't make our best starting 11.

Yep £9m a year is his apparent demand, the offer Utd have made is reported to include bonuses so not sure what his basic would actually be. Bit like Lingard a lot of the Utd contracts include big bonuses rather than guaranteed salaries which can be a sticking point when players negotiate.

Utd revenue is so big now that they can afford luxuries and he might end up being one of them but they can’t allow his camp to take the p*ss because then you’ll have everyone who’s currently looking at new deals using him as the benchmark.

He’s just turned 30 but doesn’t rely on speed so probably has 3-4 years left at his current level before he starts slowing down so he’s looking for the mega deal to set him up for life after football. Utd know if they give it him chances are he’s here for the duration as no club will pay a fee and match those wages.

The thing is his camp know it’ll cost Utd a lot more than £45m in salary and wages to replace Fellaini because even a good CM like Matic costs £40m and in FFP terms after this season Fellaini costs the club 0 as his fee will have been fully paid off. This means his camp have a strong hand with Carrick retiring and Herrera also in contract talks Utd midfield is weak plus they know the manager wants him to stay.

Sad to say players at Utd now are here for the money not for the love and I think that’s becoming a growing problem are we attracting the right characters with the right motivations?

Yeah sounds to me like he knows this is his last big contract so its a case of match what I will get elsewhere, if he goes to China or Turkey or wherever they will probably pay him the 9m a year plus i would imagine he will get a mega signing on fee as well.

In agreement with IDFD (thats rare on here mate lol), I would let him go, go enjoy your last big contract, thanks for the last 18 months of not being to bad and go spend the money on a new CM who can link midfield and attack, maybe a Saul at At Madrid, upgrade on Fellani as we have enough players in the mold of Fellani (Herrera/Matic).

He's not good enough for that amount of money a week so I can see this being his last season, I get that he wants one last bumper deal and if thats his motivation then good luck to him, as jsp says, staying for the love of the club is a thing of the past, all money money money in this day and age.

The thing is you can be money, money, money but also be a top pro Zlatan for example or Ronaldo even a guy like Kane who is only just starting on his journey but seems to want to make himself a better player every single day in training. The money will pile up but the football always comes first to these guys.

I don’t think Fellaini is a money grabber but at this point in his career he can be a squad player at Utd on £7m a year or a starter for a Turkish club probably on similar money.

My guess is he’ll want a bit of a premium to stay in that sort of role but who knows.

I still wonder if this mystery knee injury isn’t something more malicious we’ve seen before players who want out are frozen out.

Herrera or Fellaini - who should be offered a new contract?

Not sure either should if it means paying them £150k a week plus.

Based on who the manager is I’d say keeping Fellaini is more important than Herrera if I had to give an answer.

Not sure either are good enough to start ahead of Matic & Pogba which is a problem as these 2 are miles better than the back ups and that gap means when we rotate/get injuries the quality of our starting XI drops. I’d probably try and keep 1 bring Periera back and look to sign another top class CM to give us more quality in depth. I’d be looking for a guy who’s on par with Matic in terms of ability but a bit younger.

Yeah have to say would not be overly bothered at all if both of them left this summer and they were replaced, personally would be happy with TFM being given the chance to be Matic's understudy, Pereira coming back plus maybe spending some money on Saul from At Madrid.

Fellani and Herrera both "do a job" but that's about it.

I wouldn't let both Herrera and Fellaini (plus Carrick) leave in the same summer. Midfield would require two additions if both did leave, which I think is one too many given the club has a budget and other areas in the team require reinforcements. I would be against relying on Fosu-Mensah or McTominay - we've seen with Rashford and Martial that young players can be inconsistent, and I question whether McTominay is good enough. The pair should be fifth and sixth choice. I haven't followed Fosu-Mensah's progress at Palace - has he been utilised in defence or midfield? I would like the club to sign one midfielder in the summer. A Modric-type midfielder, who can control the play and tempo, therefore I would be leaning towards keeping Herrera over Fellaini as he is a better understudy for Matic than Fellaini. I would like a ball playing midfielder to replace Fellaini.

I wouldn't let both Herrera and Fellaini (plus Carrick) leave in the same summer. Midfield would require two additions if both did leave, which I think is one too many given the club has a budget and other areas in the team require reinforcements. I would be against relying on Fosu-Mensah or McTominay - we've seen with Rashford and Martial that young players can be inconsistent, and I question whether McTominay is good enough. The pair should be fifth and sixth choice. I haven't followed Fosu-Mensah's progress at Palace - has he been utilised in defence or midfield? I would like the club to sign one midfielder in the summer. A Modric-type midfielder, who can control the play and tempo, therefore I would be leaning towards keeping Herrera over Fellaini as he is a better understudy for Matic than Fellaini. I would like a ball playing midfielder to replace Fellaini.

Fosu-Mensah was a CB in a back 3 at the start of the season but since Hodgson came in he’s basically been a sub and is being used as a backup RB, there’s reports he could come back in Jan. My honest opinion is that he probably won’t make it especially with McTominay jumping ahead of him as a midfield option, there’s just to much ahead of him in midfield and even defence where Tuenzebe seems more popular. I’m not convinced Periera will come back I can see him forcing a transfer as he’s ready to play and he’ll want assurances about his chances in the first team.

Doesn’t Herrera have a 1 year option thing in his deal so the club can just activate that to take him to 2019. I agree we can’t let all 3 go if Periera came back as a first team player we’d still need to sign 1 top class player then gamble on Mctominay as the 5th choice.

It’s scary that despite how many players we’ve signed every summer over the last 4 years our squad always looks full of holes.

In the summer LB, CM, RW, AM all need addressing and that’s assuming the DDG situation doesn’t emerge again as his contract probably needs another extension to keep Madrid away.

Yeah don't think TFM has played in midfield for Palace, watched loads of him play there in the U23's and pre season, absolute beast in the centre of the park and disagree that he won't make it, can't recall him having a big game and a mate of mine who is a Palace season ticket holder raves about him, reckons due to their position Hodgson has gone for experience at the back, which is fair enough.

I'm just seriously bored of buying expensive flops who come in, earn a packet and are no better than the kids we have waiting for a chance, the likes of Blind and Darmian, I might be a bit biased as I do love to see the young lads given a chance and they will have twice as much fight and passion as half the prime donas we currently have on our books.

Yeah agree probably a bit to much to let them both go in one summer, if Fellani don't wanna be here then let him go and replace him.

Thing is with Fosu-Mensah even though he was here last season he barely got a game at centre mid, centre back or right back. He made 11 appearances according to Wiki and I don’t recall any of them. Since then Utd have added Matic & Lindelof to the mix and likely more in the summer.

I think if he was a real talent he’d be able to force his way into that palace side but he’s been a bit unlucky with the change in management but Loftus-Cheek the other loan boy didn’t lose his place. I did a bit of a search online for him and it was a real mixed bag of opinions on Fosu-Mensah but I have to say most weren’t bothered if he went back to Utd but a lot didn’t seem to like him because he’s active on social media. The grumpy sods haha

He’s only 19 so there’s still plenty of time for him but feels like it’ll be another year or two of loans before he gets a shot. He’ll need to go somewhere and establish himself and look the part in order to get our manager to give him a shot or sit and hope for a massive injury crisis which is how Rashford got his chance.

Don't think he has played any competitive games for us in midfield in the first team and yeah Palace played him at the back, I take no notice of social media mate people just go on there to kick off about absolute nonsense and half of them have probably never left their sofa let alone gone to an actual game.

Can't recall him ever having a bad game for us, remember watching him pre season absolutely schooling real madrid in the centre of the park, think he was MOTM and ppl raving about him after it, no doubt we will go sign a few more Darmians/Herrera's who will contribute sod all, pick up massive wages and this time next year we will all be having the same conversation about what deadwood to get rid off haha

who would have thought that Lingard would flourish as a number 10? you just dont know until guys are given chances, happy for players to come in who are proven world class and will improve the side, but not average squad players who are just sitting there picking up their wages holding back the kids.

who would have thought that Lingard would flourish as a number 10? you just dont know until guys are given chances, happy for players to come in who are proven world class and will improve the side, but not average squad players who are just sitting there picking up their wages holding back the kids.

Long been of the opinion that he’s much better when played central rather than out wide but this current burst of form probably won’t last but fair play to the lad he’s forced his way into the team and while his form lasts he’s there on merit.

He is in the first team on merit and with our current crop of players deserves to be. I doubt whether he will keep it up. They way i always value a player is if he cane on the market would all the top teams want him. In jesses case probably not. A very good squad player who i wouldn't want to let go but, like a lot of our squad you feel there are better options out there

Yep fair play to him for raising his level but at the minute I would much rather sell the likes of Mata and Miki before Jesse Messi haha to be fair how many of our players, if they came on the market, would any of the top 6 be interested in, I personally think you can count them on one hand.

Plus over the last month he is doing a hell of a lot more than Lukaku, Rashford, Mata, Miki, only really Martial who has been just as effective but even that's a stretch, thank god he has stepped up this month cos no bugger else has.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back