The Ashes 2017/18

Sideshow Bob

Love The Ashes. England announce their Ashes squad at 10:00am on Wednesday.

The Ashes: England to select squad for winter tour of Australia

November
4-5
v Western Australia XI, Perth (Waca)
8-11 v Cricket Australia XI, Adelaide (d/n)
15-18 v Cricket Australia XI, Townsville
23-27 1st Test, Brisbane (00:00 GMT)

December
2-6
2nd Test, Adelaide (d/n) (04:00 GMT)
9-10 v Cricket Australia XI, Perth (venue TBC)
14-18 3rd Test, Perth (Waca) (02:30 GMT)
26-30 4th Test, Melbourne (23:30 GMT, 25-29 Dec)

January
4-8
5th Test, Sydney (23:30 GMT, 3-7 Jan)
11 v Cricket Australia XI, Sydney (venue TBC)
14 1st ODI, Melbourne (03:20 GMT)
19 2nd ODI, Brisbane (04:20 GMT)
21 3rd ODI, Sydney (03:20 GMT)
26 4th ODI, Adelaide (03:50 GMT)
5th ODI, Perth (venue TBC)* (06:20 GMT)

England squad: Joe Root (capt), Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, Dawid Malan, Gary Ballance, James Vince, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ben Foakes (wk), Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Jake Ball, Mason Crane, Craig Overton.

Not sure what Vince has done to warrant a recall, his form in the Championship has been poor. Personally I think Hales should have been, his form in all forms of the game has been hot as anything. But ah well the England selectors definitely do funky things. Also I think Ballance is going to be horribly found out in Australia because of his back foot game and lack of footwork.

Glad Overton has been given a shot, as well as Foakes. Should be an interesting series as always. Shame it's on BT Sport which I don't have, have to make do with highlights either online or terrestrial TV.

I think the issue with Hales is we've got a lot of these big hitting players already in the squad so we don't really need 1 more?

We do need guys who are going to dig in and bat long spells if we want to win in Australia currently only Root & Cook look capable of doing that.

Well with the Stokes situation hovering over England I don't think this is ideal prep for an Ashes tour. And I was championing Hales but his future also looks uncertain.

Like you say jsp only Cook and Root look capable of batting long spells. In truth it's the worst group of batters we've taken to Australia in quite some time. If we don't have Stokes then we could be really short of match winners.

Not long until the start of the series! Anyone going to stay up until some ungodly hours to watch?

I know the Aussies like to chat rubbish before the series but they’ve taken it to a new level. Nathan Lyon better have an awesome series to back up his words and he’s lauded Hazlewood at the best in the world which he isn’t. Hayden says he can’t even name half of our players, which is pretty bad for a cricket pundit. #totalbants

I'd say that's about right Bob.

The current bats need to play well this next first session, build a platform for a 350+ innings.

So much for that then. Woakes and Bairstow need to be a bit more clever.
For sure. Bairstow has hit a bit of a dip in Test cricket. Still doing okay but not as dominant.

As for the match pretty even stevens. The transformation of Smith as a batsman must be one of the most remarkable, when he first came onto the scene his technique looked awful and looked to be a walking wicket. But kudos to him.

I'd say after 2 days it's 50/50 and in the balance Aussies probably slightly on top after day 1 with the late Root wicket but England rallied and recovered on day 2 to get back to all square, haven't seen any of it so far apart from the run out of Vince on day one.

Yeah I haven’t seen any either, used to pull all nighters but now it’s like meh I’ll just catch the highlights. Looks like it’s going to be an absorbing test though! Could be very tight at the end.

Looking forward to the day nighter, should be able to catch some action with my breakfast! As guessing it starts at 3am or there or thereabouts!

Yeah I've kind of caught the last 30 minutes of play on the radio in the morning when I'm getting ready for work but I'm not staying up late to watch it.

Might watch some when I'm off over Xmas get 2 weeks off work so will be able to watch the boxing day and new years day tests if I can stay awake.

Yeah the day nighter will start around 3am and finish about 11am I guess.

Aussies on top after day three. Smith played a blinder. We're effectively 7 for 2. England need a performance from Root and Stoneman to pull us back into contention. If they can build a platform then Ali, Malan and Bairstow can score some quick runs.

Aussies on top after day three. Smith played a blinder. We're effectively 7 for 2. England need a performance from Root and Stoneman to pull us back into contention. If they can build a platform then Ali, Malan and Bairstow can score some quick runs.
Didn’t quite work out that way, we did okay but crumbled in the end. This is what the Aussies can do with their little extra pace. We just don’t have that in our armoury, we can’t bounce the lower order out.

It’s going to be 1-0 to them, I would take Ball out but he could be more effective on bouncier wickets so I expect us to be unchanged. Oh how we could have done with Stokes batting and bowling in this one.

Australia finish the day 53/4. 268 lead. So basically 268/4 - But that collapse from their openers gives us a little hope. Smith gone for 6 was very important.

I can't see us chasing down 300 so we'd need a huge collapse from them in the first session.

Root brings up his 50. England 134/3 220 more required

They're putting up a fight but once one goes the whole thing will collapse, the only chance they've got is making it through this evening session without any more wickets falling.

In theory conditions then go back to favouring the batters.

Didn't quite make it to the end of the day but finished 176-4 leaving 179 to win.

Key wicket of Root still in tact they sent in Woakes as a night watchman.

Ali & Bairstow still to come almost the perfect players for this sort of situation they can score quick and change the momentum but on a 5th day wicket it's going to be very tough if Aussies bowl well wickets could tumble quickly.

I’m annoyed I didn’t back the 20/1 at the end of day 1 now. If Root can stay in and let Mooen do his thing I think we have a great chance considering the situation we were in!

I'd be amazed if we last more than 10 overs tomorrow, this has batting collapse written all over it.

Annoying thing is. I really want to be up to watch it now.

I'd be amazed if we last more than 10 overs tomorrow, this has batting collapse written all over it.
Ah some good old English pessimism. :p Although after being an England fan all these years I see where you’re coming from.

The key is Root, if he goes early then I think our goose will be cooked pretty sharpish. Root needs to get a 120-130 at least and then two of Woakes, Ali and Bairstow need to get 50. Sounds easy on paper but I’m quietly positive, although I am also prepared for checking the score in the morning and we are 220 all out.

Ah some good old English pessimism. :p Although after being an England fan all these years I see where you’re coming from.

The key is Root, if he goes early then I think our goose will be cooked pretty sharpish. Root needs to get a 120-130 at least and then two of Woakes, Ali and Bairstow need to get 50. Sounds easy on paper but I’m quietly positive, although I am also prepared for checking the score in the morning and we are 220 all out.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it’s probably a duck an England batting collapse is as nailed on as rain on a bank holiday.

I think Ali & Bairstow still to come is good because both of them can score and score quick but Root is key if he stays in and one of those can get in with him we could be in business.

England lose Woakes second ball. Nothing on hotspot with the review and the tiniest of spikes on the sound thing.

Now things look tough.

Root goes in the 3rd over. England 177/6 and 1/2 on the day. It’s all over

It’s the hope that kills you, I was slightly optimistic going into the final day but that wicket of Root killed it.

See you woke up to watch it IDFD! Shame it didn’t quite go our way.

0- Root
1 - Woakes
2 - Ali
7 - Overton
8 - Broad

Looking at the numbers on the day you'd say it's an unacceptable but you've got to be fair to the Aussie bowlers it was just an absolute dynamite session of bowling. Root and Woakes particularly stood no hope and from then on the writing was on the wall.

Vince - Get another chance?
Bairstow - Wasted coming in where he does?
Mooen - 4 sessions so far. Bowled out by Lyons all 4 times.

This is the issue Aussie in these conditions are lethal with the ball England are not they need the conditions to suit them to get the wickets like they had in that evening session which they shouldn't have had as Aussie should have forced the follow on as the conditions favoured the bowlers.

I think the issue is what is waiting in the wings, who is knocking on the door to take their spots?

Vince got a big score in the first test so probably gets another chance but he keeps getting out the same way.

Yeah that’s the thing, even if the Aussies are struggling for wickets then suddenly they can just go bang bang and we are in trouble. Starc and Cummins pace is the difference at the moment.

As for changes, I always said at the start of the series Bairstow should be 5 and Foakes should be the keeper. He is wasted at 7 and keeps getting left with the tail. Also Ali is clearly struggling with the ball so I would be inclined to say just concentrate on your batting and we’ll bring in Crane. Big call to bring in the leggie but this attack lacks an x-factor or pace or legspin. Having four seamers at the same pace is not great. Just such a pain not having Stokes! Heard Wood is also in contention and he would be lethal if he could get it right but would be a risk having had such a long layoff. So many questions to answer. If it was me I would play:

1. Cook
2. Stoneman
3. Root
4. Malan
5. Bairstow
6. Ali
7. Foakes
8. Woakes
9. Broad
10. Wood/Crane (someone with something different)
11. Anderson

England getting a horrific hiding here. The Ashes are done for me, our confidence is gonna be drained beyond hope I feel.

Smith can score as many as he wants before he declares.

What will be the fallout from this series?

Will Root still be captain?
Will Trevor Bayliss keep his job?
Will Cook retire?
Will Anderson retire? Or will he attempt to pass Glenn McGrath's record and become the leading pace bowler? He requires a further 46 wickets.
Will Ali keep his place as first choice spinner? Or will continuity and seam bowler friendly conditions in England determine his inclusion?
Will Broad keep his place in the team?
Who will bat at 3?

I doubt much will change. Hopefully Stokes comes back but we’re just not suited to win in Australia, our batting line up isn’t strong enough to cope with the pace and we don’t have proper quick bowlers.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back