Champions League: Man Utd vs FC Basel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp

Jones & Bailly suspended so Lindelof & Smalling will come in at centre back... think that might have even been confirmed by Mourinho.

Other decisions which will be interesting to see are;

Will he rotate the keeper again this year?
Darmian or Blind at LB? Could he even be tempted by Shaw with Darmian at RB as Valencia will need rest through the season.
In midfield does he stick with the 3 or go back to the 2 and bring Mata in?
Does he maybe consider Carrick for a start?
Martial or Rashford?

I think he'll be desperate to get the 3 points on the board straight away and get off to a good start but I think there's a few guys who might need a rest after internationals, Bailly gets one anyway but I wonder if we might see Valencia rested as he played twice for Ecuador during international.

My guess

Romero

Darmian Smalling Lindelof Blind

Matic Carrick Pogba

Mhiki Lukaku Martial

Think that defense is spot on. I can see why he'd want to give Valencia a rest. I know others might not agree, but i thought he was off it on Saturday, after all the travelling its understandable to be. I Think Mata will come back into the side. Instead of Carrick in your example side. Plus i can see a spanner in the works like a Linguard for Mhiki move.

Dont see anything but a comfortable win, 3 Nil, 4 Nil something like that. I mean Ricky Van Wolfswinkel leading the line? Great way of easing Lindelof in.

Basel have got a weirdly impressive record vs English sides in Europe but I have no idea what their current side is like they've had a few talented lads in recent years who get picked off not sure what they're like at the moment.

Valencia is in his 30's now we can't expect him to do the job he does without giving him some rest and a home game in the CL group seems like the right time to make the change Young would give us a more like for like option but he's not fit yet and if he's already making 2 changes to the back 4 will he risk another one? I think the whole team looked off it on Saturday the internationals really killed our momentum and Stoke away isn't the game you want after that as they're so hard to play against.

The good news in terms of league games is we're playing on Sunday vs Everton who have Europa league on thursday then it's league cup mid week so it might be that he can squeeze these guys a bit then look to rest people vs Burton.

I'm expecting it to be a bit nervy this side doesn't have a lot of CL experience in it which is why I thought he might turn to Carrick in the past I'd be thinking comfortable home win but if Basel start well I can see us having problems hopefully we get the job done and a goal for Lukaku would be nice.

Mourinho:

“I do what I think is the best for the team,” the boss said. “I don’t like that clear separation of ‘I play in this competition and you play in this competition’. And I think in this moment, David is playing very well and is very confident. I will go with David tomorrow again.”

Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof will both start at centre-back against Basel, with recent Premier League starters Phil Jones and Eric Bailly both serving suspensions in Europe. In his MUTV interview at the Aon Training Complex, the boss revealed he had always planned to select the pair.

“They are all at the same level so it is no problem at all,” Jose told us. “Even if Jones and Bailly were not suspended, I would probably play Smalling and Lindelof. For Lindelof, I think the competition is easier to adapt to because he is used to playing in the Champions League.

“Portuguese football is more comparable to the Champions League than the Premier League. I think with him, it will be a choice for me to play him in this match. Smalling is working well so why not use his experience. I trust them. I am not worried at all that Bailly and Jones are out.”

“Victor is an intelligent kid, he is very calm and of course he wants to play,” Jose said. “You know, we take it step by step. [At Chelsea] we had one of the best central defenders in the Premier League’s last decade, Ricardo Carvalho, and when he arrived from Portugal he was in trouble a little bit to adapt.

“Then he had an amazing career in the Premier League after that and I am sure Victor will be the same. So it is good for him to play in the Champions League and probably he won’t play at the weekend, but he will play again next week in the [Carabao] Cup so matches are coming for him.”

Having to change the 2 CB's I think it's best not to change too much else. I'd imagine that's mostly why De Gea starts. Darmian in on left or right a possible. Need a strong front 6 though.

Having to change the 2 CB's I think it's best not to change too much else. I'd imagine that's mostly why De Gea starts. Darmian in on left or right a possible. Need a strong front 6 though.

I think that's fair with the defence already disrupted might be a case of keeping the full backs who played on Saturday in along with DDG.

I hope he starts Mata over Fellaini/Herrera we're at home we should be looking to be on the front foot so I think we can play the number 10 and trust that Matic/Pogba can dominate the middle of the pitch without needing the 3rd man in there, weirdly despite having that extra man in midfield on Saturday it didn't really feel like we had the extra man as Stoke went so deep there wasn't really a midfield battle.

I hope he does not start messing around changing the keeper, Romero is a top back up and should play league and fa cup games but if you start leaving DDG out for Champions League games your playing with fire, he will be straight on Madrid's radar even more. Europa league last year fair enough but if he starts leaving him out of Champions League games it could cause an issue during the course of the season.

Agree that Valencia was poor on Saturday, as was Darmian, the pair of them just offered zero going forward on Saturday, would love to see Shaw given a run out but can't see it, think he will probably go with Blind and Darmian as RB.

I would be amazed if he plays a 3 man midfield when were gonna have all the ball, I would think he may give Matic a break if anyone and give Carrick a game but I would think he will wait for Burton away next week to do that.

Team for me tonight I think will be

DDG
Darmian Lindelof Smalling Blind
Matic Pogba
Rashford Miki Martial
Lukaku

I think we'll go 3 in the middle today. He'll want to get Herrera up to speed. He'll want more protection with that back 4. He'll be more reserved because it's the champions league even though we're at home. I could be wrong but they're the reasons I think we'll see the 3 men in the middle.

I think we'll go 3 in the middle today. He'll want to get Herrera up to speed. He'll want more protection with that back 4. He'll be more reserved because it's the champions league even though we're at home. I could be wrong but they're the reasons I think we'll see the 3 men in the middle.
Not sure if there will be a 3, maybe if it was an away game but at home I think he'll have faith in Matic and Pogba in the middle with Mkhi back in the number ten role. I also think Lingard will rear his head on the right. Then it's a toss up between Martial and Rashford on the left.

Shame the buggers at BT Sport got the CL gig so can't watch it on tv but I guess a good stream will have to do.

boys if your looking for streams etc, sportsmania.rocks are class, I pay £26 every 6 months and you get every sports channel plus all the pay per view channels as well, can use it on all devices, in case anyone is struggling to watch it

legal as far as I know mate lol they have a twitter, tweet them and double check but paying for a service so assuming they are regulated/licenced etc

I couldn't have been more wrong. He's completely dropped from the squad.

No one got that team right though

DDG

Young Lindelof Smalling Blind

Matic Pogba

Mata Mkhi Martial

Lukaku

think I suggested Young as like for like but though he was injured.

I like that side though both full backs capable of getting forward and delivering quality.

Young is definitely a surprised, like jsp eluded too I thought he was injured too.

Overall though decent side, hopefully Lindelof puts in a good performance. Think we'll nail it 3-0.

Decent start dominating possession but Basel camped in making it hard.

Mhiki has got to score that.

Why isn't Herrera on the bench in case of this.

Why isn't Herrera on the bench in case of this.

Maybe struggling after the weekend?

Fellaini coming on

Could be a struggle now without Pogba our midfield lacks a playmaker to get the balls into Mata/Mhiki.

Hopefully not to serious but even minor hamstring is likely to be 2-3 weeks out.

That's 2 great chances for him 3 if you count the rebound.

Can't keep letting these off the hook.

Quite a few empty seats in there tonight although looks to have filled up a bit after kick off but no atmosphere from the home fans.

Great goal.

lol at that defender for falling for Ashley Young's 1 trick don't think that's worked in England for about 5 years haha. Quality delivery from Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back