Champions League 0

Previous Seasons
Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2013/14
Phil Jones | Match Performance Thread

Pre Season: Real Salt Lake 1-2 Manchester United - 18th July 2017

Another terrible phil jones performance last night. The Real salt lake centre halves looked more comfortable then him. The only time he looks ok is when his playing next to Chris 'Mike' Smalling because that guy is one of the worst players around.

He is a car crash.

He actually does okay sometimes and you think yeah this guy might be okay. Then he gets injured, takes a few months to come back and then looks like Bambi on ice. He could be disposed off before the end of the window but guess with Rojo being out indefinitely he may live to fight another day.

The Chuckle Brothers need to go they're not good enough and it's time to chuck the towel in with them but like you say Rojo's injury might buy one of them another season as we'd maybe get £30m for the pair but we'd need to spend £60m to replace them unless he really trusts a guy like Tuenzebe.

If Rojo was fit I think we could let both go and promote Tuanzebe, think he's ready for more action.

Don't forget Blind I think he's a pretty good centre back I think he's as good as Jones/Smalling but a bit like Mertesacker when he does get caught out he can't recover.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 West Ham United - 13th August 2017

He played well.

Excellent but tougher challenges to come. Needs to stay fit.

Matic made Jones look a lot better but that is what Matic does. It worked for Pogba. Jones has come to a level that he will never reach every week and possibly not every two weeks, when first acquired he looked something else but with injuries etc he hasn't and possibly now will never reach the potential that was expected of him. Would it be better to sell - only the manager knows.

I'd just like him to stay fit for a season so we can properly judge him.

I don't think a fit Jones starting every game wins you a title but a fit Jones as a 3rd choice CB isn't bad, the issue is he's never fit enough to put a consistent run together he misses at least 1/3 of the season every year.

I'd just like him to stay fit for a season so we can properly judge him.

I don't think a fit Jones starting every game wins you a title but a fit Jones as a 3rd choice CB isn't bad, the issue is he's never fit enough to put a consistent run together he misses at least 1/3 of the season every year.

I agree as far as he's never fit enough, but a lot of times its self inflicted with his headless chicken approach. Therefore personally I don't think we will see a fit Jones for a season. I think we've let a better acquisition go to Palace on a season long loan...

Premier League: Swansea City 0-4 Manchester United - 19th August 2017

He played well.

Jones and Bailly look like they've got a good partnership on the go. If - and it's a massive if - we may have an effective partnership on our hands. He doesn't seem as rash anymore and looks accomplished but he's got to have a few months of these performances to really convince me.

Decent performance but not really challenged by Swansea and should've had himself a goal when he hit the bar.

At the moment there's no reason to change it but you know injury is just around the corner.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Leicester City - 26th August 2017

He played well.

Very very good from him. He had been very good this season except for preseason. Done well with the opportunity afforded to him.

Very good start to the season. Mourinho mentioned he played with an injury post-match but think he's just doing a Fergie and doesn't want him playing during international break.

Very good start to the season. Mourinho mentioned he played with an injury post-match but think he's just doing a Fergie and doesn't want him playing during international break.
My thoughts exactly. He probably doesn't want him getting injured on international duty like last season and miss matches for us.

Grest start to the season but you sort of know thst 5 minutes after the transfer window shuts he will be injured and out for 3 months. Hope not because this is probably his best run in the team since he arrived.

My thoughts exactly. He probably doesn't want him getting injured on international duty like last season and miss matches for us.

The "Phil Jones passed fit for England Duty" headline is exactly what made me cancel my plans to put him in my fantasy team.

It's not just him that gets injured on England Duty though he seems to have an annoying habit of injuring other players (normally Utd ones) while on international duty.

Read a book by the secret footballer while on holiday last week and a phycologist who co-wrote the book mentioned he worked with Phil Jones on his ability to turn quickly, it's all to do with improving his reaction time and apparently it's worked wonders for him.

Premier League: Stoke City 2-2 Manchester United - 9th September 2017

Poor for Stoke's second.

It took a few more weeks then normal but the real Phil Jones has shown up finally. Terrible on that second goal. Can be blamed for the first as well. Was getting muscled off the ball by everyone in red and white today. Modern day jekyll and hyde with his performances.

That first goal is all on Bailly, plays everyone onside then doesn't recover to get back to his man.

Jones made a mistake and it cost us but apart from that it was fine.

Neither play midweek as I believe both are banned.

Rio made a great point of highlighting how jones should have recovered to the front point to cut the cross out. He didn't he stood in no mans land. So yeah although Bailly made the initial mistake Jones could have covered him.

shaqiri the mini hulk battled him off the ball as well a couple of times. Just overall it felt like the real Jones came to the match big time.

Looking forward to seeing Lindelof mid week to see if his come on behind the scenes because his needed.

Looking forward to seeing him to but even if he plays well I'd still stick with these 2 in the league bad day at the office but not time to make drastic changes.

Looking forward to seeing him to but even if he plays well I'd still stick with these 2 in the league bad day at the office but not time to make drastic changes.

Yeah I'd agree with that! All defenders make mistakes and unfortunately yesterday Bailly made the initial mistake and Jones couldn't recover for him. On another week either Bailly doesn't make that mistake or Jones covers him and we don't concede there. They've both played really well for the most part and this is still an early partnership.

On the first goal it looks like he anticipates a cut back which was a problem for us last season so while Rio has a point about defending the front post it may be that Utd under Jose do things differently, the said cut backs should be covered by covering midfield players.

Jose Mourinho should be angered by Phil Jones situation, says Ian Wright

The more I think about this the more I think what is Jones playing at agreeing to these injections I know he's obviously worried about losing his spot in the team/squad but surely the England manager needs to pull him to one side and say if you need 6 injections to play I'm not going to play you.

Mourinho must be furious with Southgate but also Jones for not looking after himself and putting the club first, I would be surprised if when he is fit again if Rojo is back up to speed Jones could be out of favour again.

Jose Mourinho should be angered by Phil Jones situation, says Ian Wright

The more I think about this the more I think what is Jones playing at agreeing to these injections I know he's obviously worried about losing his spot in the team/squad but surely the England manager needs to pull him to one side and say if you need 6 injections to play I'm not going to play you.

Mourinho must be furious with Southgate but also Jones for not looking after himself and putting the club first, I would be surprised if when he is fit again if Rojo is back up to speed Jones could be out of favour again.

Premier League: Burnley 0-1 Manchester United - 20th January 2018

He played well from what I saw.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Manchester United - 31st January 2018

It's typical of Jones to go from hero to zero at such an alarming rate. Just when we all think his turned a corner he reminds everyone again that it's all am act and he really is an idiot. The own goal is ridiculous. Lost the header on the first goal. Been bullied by Kane. Hope he doesn't come out for the second half and he gets Rojo or even Rui Faria on instead.

Looking back above does this lad ever play well vs the top sides?

Is he the flat track bully of defending?

I mean Kane is very good but from minute one he’s been a bag of nerves and could be my own thought bias on him but feels like this happens a lot to him vs top strikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back