Wayne Rooney at Everton 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh wow. Don't know how I feel about it, now that it's happened. No doubt a United legend.

It's the right thing for Utd and Rooney he needed a fresh challenge and this might help bring the best out of him again.

All the other club icons and heroes had the advantage of being moved on by Sir Alex before their game started to decline. Rooney over the last 4 years has suffered because the club been so unstable leadership wise. He has became a target from some fans and the press because he hasn't been the Wayne Rooney from before. Which is out of line.

He could and maybe should have gone earlier but it's not his fault he didn't. his achieved records and standards that we might not ever see again. Unplayable and unstoppable in his prime and nothing but a club legend in my eyes. hope he does well at Everton and maybe breaks back into that England set up.

Absolutely the right time to move on, my personal opinion is that it should have happened before and think it would have in 2013 if SAF had stayed on, but simply had to happen this summer. He was a solid player between 2013-2016 but rapid decline since MOTM performance in FA Cup final. For us to improve I think we had to move on and maybe this will re-focus Rooney himself too.

I think in all comps 40+ appearences and 10-15 goals would be a good season for Rooney it would be kind of on par with what he's delivered at Utd recently but it all depends on where he plays if he's playing as a number 10 he needs to be getting into double digits.

The big thing for Everton is they're doing all this spending but does anyone think they'll actually finish higher than 7th next season?

Nope. I think 7th is a good bet but it all depends how their signings fit in. They are good signings but they are not oh my god they are top four challengers now good. They have to replace Lukaku's goals because he was a real bully against the smaller teams and that's where they need to pick up the majority of their points to better 7th.

As for Rooney I agree with you jsp, I think 15 goals would be considered a good season. He is pretty immobile now but if he gets a good run of games the Rooney of old cause resurface to a degree. It's really hard to tell but I do hope he recovers some of his old magic because his decline up to now has been quite sad to see. And I hope he scores against us at OT, in a 5-1 defeat for Everton of course! :p

As far as I'm concerned every goal he scores against us gets taken off his Utd total so we can give Bobby his record back. Haha

Unless they can put him on some sort of intensive fitness programme that gives him back his speed and his endurance I don't see how the magic can come back as that intensity and aggression he had in his game because he used to bomb about at 100mph for 90 minutes isn't there anymore. I'm sure he'll still get the occasional great goal like he did with us but he won't get the break away goals he used to get or the one vs ones.

I really hope it works out for him and if he could win a cup or something at Everton to end their trophy drought that would be nice as long as they don't beat Utd.

What was the goalkeeper doing? About a mile off his line.

Good strike though.

What will be considered a good season for Rooney?

Depends where he plays. If he's playing 9 or 10 he'll be expected to score 10-15, if he's playing midfield he'll just need to be solid as expectations of him playing in that position will be low, more expected of him as a forward.

Pre Season 2017/18: Genk 1-1 Everton - 22nd July 2017

Premier League: Everton 1-0 Stoke City - 12th August 2017

Premier League: Manchester City 0-1 Everton - 21st August 2017

200th Premier League goal.

ROOOOONEY!!!

We should never have let him go in my opinion. His goals have secured Everton 4 points already this season. Starting to prove it was the system he suffered from under Van Gaal and Mourinho rather than a loss of quality.

And Fergie in 2012/13 system was the problem too. Rooney was passed it and earning 300k a week getting rid of him was the way forward. He's a 31 soon to be a 32 yr old man who never looked after himself.

Rooney was past it and it was absolutely the right decision to move him on. Fergie was right in pushing him out. If only moyes had shown some balls and not offered him that huge renewal we wouldn't have had to put up with him pottering about the pitch for four years.

ROOOOONEY!!!

We should never have let him go in my opinion. His goals have secured Everton 4 points already this season. Starting to prove it was the system he suffered from under Van Gaal and Mourinho rather than a loss of quality.
He may have scored two in two but his all around play still hasn't been fantastic. He's still got an eye for goal but he would still be inhibiting our overall play. I'm delighted for him but he needed this move and I'm glad it's reignited his goalscoring.

Happy to see him doing well but everyone moving on was the right thing to do, he'd gone stale at Utd and needed a fresh start.

His finishing was never really in doubt didn't he start last season with a few goals? I think he'll get 10-15 in all comps and go to the World Cup but if he'd stayed at Utd he'd have just ended up on the bench and never found his sharpness.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Everton - 17th September 2017

He was decent.

Premier League: Everton 4-0 - 29th November 2017

He got goal of the season and his first Everton Hatrick tonight

7 goals in 12 starts in the League.

Not having it for goal of the season kicking a ball 60 yards into an empty net I think is OTT give me the Siggurdson goal from the weekend over that one every day even the Lingard goal took a lot more skill to run through that many people and finish.

Glad that Unsworth signed off with a win.

Rooney playing as a centre mid again as well it's like 2016 all over again.

for me the technique to hit the ball like that is something many of us would struggle with.

I doubt too many 'professional' footballers would hit the net in a game situation from the half way line but you'd back Rooney most times out of 10. Got to watch it later on Sky+

I honestly think Rooney would manage that strike about 4 times out of 10. The balls coming at him at pace. He’s got 2 players to lift it over and hit it first time. Was a great goal

I think a ball rolling back to a professional centre mid/striker he'd hit the net 4/5 times out of 10, he didn't need to get it over the keeper it was a totally empty net the closest anyone came to blocking it was the keeper haha. I'm a below average footballer but I'd back myself to do that 1 out of 10 you basically need to get it to bounce in the box and it's a goal the ball coming back at you actually helps you get the power on it.

It's brilliant execution but I don't think for a pro player it's that impressive it just stands out because it's very rare that it happens because keepers don't normally leave the goal that exposed.

Just caught up on the game and have to say Rooneys technique and execution hitting that ball, that came at him with a fair bit of pace on was sublime. You won't see a sweeter hit, off laces with no curl over 2 defenders, all season.

Premier League: Newcastle v Everton - 13th December 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back