Europa Final 'Keeper

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So looks like Romero is starting the final. Right decision guys? Sure he's played regularly in the run but with Bailly out, should we play our best keeper De Gea?

I disagree. You play your best 11. If we lost to a ridiculous goal that De Gea would have got to it'll ruin next season.

I think in the final you have to play the best keeper which is De Gea but I'd suggest we give Romero the games vs Spurs & Palace.

However, if he does pick Romero I don't have a problem he's done really well when called upon and while he's not as good a shot stopper as De Gea he is much better at coming for crosses my only issue with him is you always feel a mistake is coming whereas De Gea we are much more calm even if he's become weirdly routed to the line. I wonder if De Gea is playing with an injury so he's avoiding potential clashes on one vs ones and crosses?

For me you play Romero, he's played all the games since December it would be really unfair to leave him out. And we'd need to look for two keepers next year.

He's done nothing wrong and made some good saves.

I think Romero accepts he's the number 2 keeper at the club and he's actually been quoted saying he's happy and wants to stay.

It all depends on how Mourinho handles it if he says he wants to play De Gea in the final but Romero is getting 2 of the 3 final league matches he's getting more games even if he misses out on the prestigious one that really matters.

He may be the no. 2 but he's done nothing to warrant being dropped from the team. It would be a sh£$%y thing to do. He's been the no.1 in the EL since Dec.

Mourinho gets paid the big bucks to make big decisions.

This is the season defining game and he has to pick his best team, there's no time for being nice and De Gea is the number 1.

It's the same for Romero he's a professional and it's a team sport he has to take the decision whatever it is.

To be fair, De Gea has not been as confident in Goalkeeping in recent matches as previous, not coming to collect balls, especially at Arsenal. I'm definitely not doubting his keeping ability because he is undoubtedly the world's best in my eyes, however I don't think he'll be here next season. Sergio has stepped up in the Europa League, he wants to play for this club and has got us this far. He deserves the gloves and I have full faith in him. He's pulled off some stunning saves to keep us in. Yes you could always concede a 'scrappy' goal, but it's not to say De Gea wouldn't concede one similar.

Always a question mark about Romero, has that mistake in him but been good this season, thing I like most about him is that he's quick to get the ball back out and get a counter attack going.

Any rumours of a De Gea injury can be put to bed. Posted videos of himself playing basketball today.

Always a question mark about Romero, has that mistake in him but been good this season, thing I like most about him is that he's quick to get the ball back out and get a counter attack going.

Yeah that's always been a question mark of Romero, even with Argentina. He has been good this season but what I hate is his incessant need to punch the ball instead of catch it. It can just lead to increased pressure with the ball coming back into the box.

I just think in that potential one on one situation De Gea would be the better bet but I have no problem with Romero because he is a good shot stopper. No doubt one of the - if not the best - number twos in the league.

Yeah that's always been a question mark of Romero, even with Argentina. He has been good this season but what I hate is his incessant need to punch the ball instead of catch it. It can just lead to increased pressure with the ball coming back into the box.

I just think in that potential one on one situation De Gea would be the better bet but I have no problem with Romero because he is a good shot stopper. No doubt one of the - if not the best - number twos in the league.

I know what you mean on the punches but at least he comes off his line, De Gea seems glued to his line these days which is why I think he might be protecting an injury by not risking collisions on set pieces or sweeping behind his defence in one vs ones. There's been a few times where balls have gone over the top to strikers and defenders are looking for him to come and take it but he doesn't come out whereas Romero tends to have no problem coming off his line.

Obviously straight up shot stopper De Gea is the better keeper, dominating his penalty box I'd say Romero is better, distribution wise I'd say it's fairly even but the thing De Gea has is he makes very few mistakes.

You play your best players and that's DDG. You say thank you to Romero for helping you get to the final but you go with your best keeper. A keeper who just happens to also be the best in the world. And in fact it's complete madness to me that Jose isn't going to do that. Because if Romero makes a mistake that costs us then wow does Jose come under some fire. If DDG made a mistake he wouldn't though because it would be unexpected.

Romero has done well and it's harsh to drop him... But football is a cut throat business and that's the way it goes. Plus if Jose is really worried about upsetting Romero? I mean that's just ridiculous.

All this discussion for a keeper is bonkers. I think we should just continue with Romero as DeGea is again fluttering his eyes towards RM. Also DeGea has not been the steadiest this season. I think we should pick on form rather than reputation and on form DeGea has been the poorer of the two.

All this discussion for a keeper is bonkers. I think we should just continue with Romero as DeGea is again fluttering his eyes towards RM. Also DeGea has not been the steadiest this season. I think we should pick on form rather than reputation and on form DeGea has been the poorer of the two.

I think you're correct. You pick on form and I would agree that right now Romero is probably matching De Gea who's had a bit of a dip in form lately but I don't think that's down to the talk of Madrid I think it's just something that happens from time to time.

I just think with so much on the line you have to go with your best player which is De Gea even if that is harsh on Romero, the whole season comes down to 1 game now if they lose Mourinho is under huge pressure as the club will lose the CL revenue £50m plus those penalties in our sponsorship deals kick in reported to be worth around £25m a season. That's £75m dissapearing off the balance sheets which makes investors/owners twitchy and will put added pressure on the club. More importantly the fans will start to question is Mourinho really worth it is he the man to lead us back to glory or is he like Van Gaal a great coach who belongs in the history books.

I think you're correct. You pick on form and I would agree that right now Romero is probably matching De Gea who's had a bit of a dip in form lately but I don't think that's down to the talk of Madrid I think it's just something that happens from time to time.

I just think with so much on the line you have to go with your best player which is De Gea even if that is harsh on Romero, the whole season comes down to 1 game now if they lose Mourinho is under huge pressure as the club will lose the CL revenue £50m plus those penalties in our sponsorship deals kick in reported to be worth around £25m a season. That's £75m dissapearing off the balance sheets which makes investors/owners twitchy and will put added pressure on the club. More importantly the fans will start to question is Mourinho really worth it is he the man to lead us back to glory or is he like Van Gaal a great coach who belongs in the history books.

All that shouldn't distract from the fact that DeGea has been a bit hot and cold this season. The other day against Tottenham he made a error which could have led to a goal from a Harry Kane header. Whereas Romero has been solid if not spectacular between the sticks. Besides why change a winning formula.

I'm not sure De Gea's form has been that bad? Romero has had little to do in most of the Europa League games, for me he has never inspired much confidence and he has a clanger in him. It is an absolutely massive game for the club on a number of levels and I wouldn't be selecting any player on sentiment - certainly not a goalkeeper. Finals are always decided on small margins and I wouldn't be relying on Romero when we've got the best keeper in the world to choose from alternatively with everything that's at stake.

With De Gea leaving, there is no certainty that we get we get a new keeper next year and Romero could be our first choice. For me you don't drop him. He's made some great saves. Yes he made a few mistakes in the past, so has De Gea.

The decision is all about De Gea and Madrid. If he is staying you can risk upsetting Romero. If he is going then nah.

Anyway, decision has been made, and for me it's the correct one. I'm not one for win at all costs. You do the right thing, he's done well and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

On the whole upsetting Romero thing I imagine if Dave leaves and we don't sign a keeper he'd be pretty happy being number 1 at Utd next season in fact I get the impression he's pretty happy being the number 2 at Utd. His main concern next season will be if he thinks being a number 2 will lose him his spot in the Argentina team as it's a world cup next summer.

Well that performance from Romero hopefully settles the debate. He was brilliant and kept us in the game all on his own.

Doesn't mean the debate should be settled. He's a good goalkeeper but one that's always got a mistake in him. One that could play well in the final and make the mistake that costs us.

And yes sure any keeper can make a mistake. But chances are far higher that DDG will make saves that win us the game.

And anyway... Why not give Dave the ultimate send off?

Doesn't mean the debate should be settled. He's a good goalkeeper but one that's always got a mistake in him. One that could play well in the final and make the mistake that costs us.

And yes sure any keeper can make a mistake. But chances are far higher that DDG will make saves that win us the game.

And anyway... Why not give Dave the ultimate send off?

On present form it is more likely that De Gea commits a mistake rather than Romero. If you are going to go by reputation then you have to consider that De Gea was more prone to mistakes that led to goals in his initial time at the club than Romero has been. If you say that De Gea has overcome his initial struggle and has been good for us then I say that Romero has also overcome his error prone period and has been very good for us this season. In fact more reliable than De Gea has been this season.

On present form it is more likely that De Gea commits a mistake rather than Romero. If you are going to go by reputation then you have to consider that De Gea was more prone to mistakes that led to goals in his initial time at the club than Romero has been. If you say that De Gea has overcome his initial struggle and has been good for us then I say that Romero has also overcome his error prone period and has been very good for us this season. In fact more reliable than De Gea has been this season.

I'm sorry but that's not even a slight argument to be made here for Romero over DDG. Look I get that he has done well when called upon and I get that it's a harsh decision to drop him when he's been a part of the team that's gotten to the final. But football is a cut throat business and that's what happens. And DDG is one of the top 3 GKs in the world and in fact you could argue the very best! And the guy has been an absolute monster for us in goal and it would be nice to send him out on a high! After all the rubbish that he's played behind he deserves that and to be quite honest Romero really doesn't deserve jack.

Is De Gea's bad form exaggerated?
In my opinion it isn't overexaggerated. This season he has nowhere been as good as he was last year. Also there is a feeling that he hasn't been bothered this year as he maybe off to RM.
@rich: As you say football is a cut throat business and as such has no room for sentiment whatsoever. Which is why whether DeGea deserves a send off or not should not cloud your decision making. Romero should start on form and will start. Anyway it doesn't matter one bit what you or me think should happen. What matters is what Josè thinks and he has said that Romero will start on Wednesday.

I don't think De Gea has had a great season by his own sky high standards but he's certainly not had a bad one and still one of our top 3 players this season for consistency, I am probably wrong but I can only think of one real howler which was vs Stoke which cost us a goal, there's been a few shakey moments but have we just become adjusted to how many good saves this guy makes?

If you were naming your strongest XI not based on the last 2 months but based on this season you'd be mad if you didn't have De Gea in the team as the keeper, I know he was a bit lucky to get it but he was the PFA keeper for team of the year.

I 100% accept that Romero doesn't deserve to be dropped he's done nothing wrong but De Gea is the best keeper at the club, the best keeper in the country and one of the top 3 on the planet and not playing him to me seems crazy. To me it would be like not playing Pogba because Fellaini managed to string 2 or 3 good games together in his absence (that's hypothetical it didn't happen)

Mourinho seems to have made his mind up and he knows more than we do about what's going on off the pitch and I don't have a problem with Romero starting the final but if it was my call it would be De Gea all day every day.

Europa League: Ajax 0-2 Manchester United - 24th May 2017

Made no difference in the end.

Glad that decision didn't backfire on us. Thought before the game that Mou might have been bluffing and would start De Gea but no need.

He played well, did what was needed and another clean sheet for him... But I do hope this doesn't put him in serious contention to be the number one if Dave leaves?

If we can't secure a top class replacement then I'm not afraid of him being our number 1 but we'd need our defence to be top notch in front of him. I hope De Gea stays but feels like we are in for a summer of will he won't he.

If we can't secure a top class replacement then I'm not afraid of him being our number 1 but we'd need our defence to be top notch in front of him. I hope De Gea stays but feels like we are in for a summer of will he won't he.
Sorry mate but I disagree. If DDG goes then we need to get a replacement unless we are prepared to not challenge for the league again next year. Romero has done OK but there's a reason he was a free agent and that he's never settled at a good club. He's solid enough but he's a number two and he has a mistake in him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back