Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that bothered by his wage be honest. He has at least earned his money through past achievements unlike other players at club who are also paid handsomely and have done little for the club. I don't personally judge players on their transfer fee or wages.

Also, I don't think his wages are anywhere near what is actually reported and a lot of it based on things I've read are linked to sponsorship deals.

I read something similar when he signed the new contract. I read that his basic wage is £200k-£250k and the rest is made up from image rights. I might be mistaken on this, but think he bought his image rights from United?

I'm not that bothered by his wage be honest. He has at least earned his money through past achievements unlike other players at club who are also paid handsomely and have done little for the club. I don't personally judge players on their transfer fee or wages.

I read something similar when he signed the new contract. I read that his basic wage is £200k-£250k and the rest is made up from image rights. I might be mistaken on this, but think he bought his image rights from United?

Him and his agent picked the perfect time to negotiate a new contract and they took inexperienced negotiators to the cleaners. The situation as far as I'm concerned it is what it is and the blame for it lies with Woodward and Moyes.

I agree there's little to no point judging a player by his transfer fee but I do think wages can sometimes be fair game to batter someone over if they're not keeping up their end of the bargain. Rooney in my opinion has kept up his end of the deal he tries his hardest and is now probably more of a model professional than he was at 25 but the reality is that his body is giving up on him and he can't be physially anywhere near the level he was in his prime. That could be down to any number of things, rushing back from to many injuries, he apparently likes a drink and a smoke, not looking after his body well enough when injured etc but yesterday was his 750th appearence for club and country it might just be that like a trusty old car there's to many miles on the engine.

Raul, Ronaldo (Brazilian), Owen, Torres and probably many more who burst on the scene as teenagers were all pretty much finished at 30 injuries and long seasons destroyed their bodies now most played well into their 30's but they were/are shadows of the players they were at their best and maybe Rooney is like that. People forgot how important the speed and intensity of his running were to his game, take that away and what do you have left?

You hear lots of numbers floated around the £300k a week figure that was reported was what the deal was potentially worth. My understanding is that included a lot of image rights clauses and bonuses and apparently a big part of the deal was the club gave Rooney and his management access to their marketing teams to help grow his brand, basically agreeing for Rooney to become front and centre on all Utd marketing.

Most of the stuff I read suggested he was on £200k a week but there were a lot of potential add ons over the 5 years of his contract that would bump his wages up but given the way the club & Rooney have performed over that period my guess is not a lot of them have been hit.

Wage doesn't bother me. My personal opinion though is that we should have let him leave in 2013 or at least not given him the length of contract that we did.

Could still do a job in the PL but just can't see anyone wanting him enough to stump up his wage and any transfer fee United are perhaps likely to want. Still capable of the occasional goal and assist but increasingly looks to be struggling physically, has struggled with this mystery injury problem a lot, kept getting setbacks and you wonder if that's still causing him a problem. His performances are worsening by the game, didn't see anything promising from him yesterday.

The wage isn't the issue it's the fact he's our highest paid player and doesn't make our best eleven. I haven't liked him for years so the performances we are getting from him now just increases that displeasure.

When Lingard misplaced a pass you think ahh he's inexperienced and a squad player. When Rooney misplaces a simple pass you think 'that's our star are highest paid player and the captain of this club'

I know people don't agree with my views on Rooney but he should have gone in both 2010 and 2013. He couldn't make Fergies best 11 in 2013 keeping him was bad enough giving him a monster new contract was criminal but Moyes thought he couldn't afford to lose him.

I honestly don't think he can still do a job in the PL. Say we waived and transfer fee so a team had to just pay his wages who would realistically be interested? Arsenal City Liverpool Chelsea Tottenham wouldn't even give him a glancing look. He wouldn't make their benches.

I honestly don't think he can still do a job in the PL. Say we waived and transfer fee so a team had to just pay his wages who would realistically be interested? Arsenal City Liverpool Chelsea Tottenham wouldn't even give him a glancing look. He wouldn't make their benches.

Think we've had this chat previously, based on current squads he'd be nothing more than a squad player at any club in the top 7. I'm not totally convinced he'd make the starting XI at West Brom ahead of Rondon after that you're looking at Stoke, Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton that middle of the table section to find a team where you'd think he'd be first choice but they aren't going to pay him anywhere near what he gets at Utd.

If Lukaku left Everton in the summer that might be a place where he would fit in but it would be a huge step backwards for them. However, a full pre season and a fresh challenge might re-ignite the fire that appears to have gone out in Rooney. I think we're going to struggle to give him away I can see him being loaned to Everton next season with a set fee that if he does well they can buy him for at the end of the season if not he comes back and probably gets loaned somewhere else.

If he wants to get back in the England team his best bet might be a year at Celtic score a load of goals in a weak league where he's miles better than everyone else plus a bit of European football.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Manchester United - 14th May 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looked so far off of the pace today. How many fouls did he make because he was a step behind?

Would say he's just come back from injury though and him being slow to get up to speed has been a theme throughout his career

He was poor overall, and lost his man for the opener, but managed to score a goal and create a few decent opportunities. He looked better at 9. His end product is still decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back