Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

170px-England_crest_2009.svg.png

Provisional 28-man squad
Goalkeepers:
Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Betrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Newcastle), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Group B Fixtures
11th June v Russia, 20:00 BST
16th June v Wales, 14:00 BST
20th June v Slovakia, 20:00 BST

I have to say I'm surprised that Townsend and Drinkwater have missed out.

I'd have absolutely taken Drinkwater over Henderson who I don't rate anyway and he's not long been back from injury.

I'd also have taken Townsend as he gives us something different. And there's no way I'd have taken Sturridge. He can't be relied upon and with taking Wilshere you are taking a risk on one players fitness! It just makes no sense to me. Sturridge can barely play 7 games a year let alone in a month so it's a crazy decision.

I think Drinkwater should have gone instead of Barkley.

Sturridge is the right call, I think. He's a match winner and arguably England's best striker. He's a great option to call on from the bench.

I think Drinkwater should have gone instead of Barkley.

Sturridge is the right call, I think. He's a match winner and arguably England's best striker. He's a great option to call on from the bench.

Drinkwater should have definitely gone and let's be honest if he played for one of the more glamorous teams he would have done. I don't see how Roy can argue that Henderson, Milner, Wilshere or Barkley are better options to be honest.

I can see talent wise why he's taken Sturridge. Yes he's a match winner and yes maybe he's our best striker... But he could get injured against Portugal or in training or a warm up or within seconds of coming on. And then you're down a player. He can't be relied upon to be fit and so you risk having a 22 man squad with question marks over Wilshere and Cahill.

I know the same can be said of Wilshere but I guess he gives us something completely different in midfield. So whilst it's a risk I can kind of see why Roy took him.

Some challenge.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Didn't watch either but I'm reading nothing but people commenting about other dull tasks they carried out during the game so it can't have been good...

Mind you in the final game before the real stuff starts I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

I'm reading even the Mexican wave was a bust.

Good boy Chris!!! Good finish that.

Well it's like someone on the BBC live feed said: The positive from tonight is Roy knows what tactics not to use.

Was a terrible game last night, right before the tournament is not the time to shoehorn a formation together. It's simple, two central midfielders, Rooney in the number 10 role, Kane upfront and two either side. What the hell was that shit last night, Kane and Vardy were playing up top but always drifted wide, it was terrible. Vardy IMO shouldn't be starting anyway, he is more of an impact player. Not like we have an abundance of options but probably Sterling and Lallana should be in either side of Kane.

Also if Roy doesn't play Rashford then I feel it's a wasted spot that should have gone to Townsend who I feel should have been in the final 23. Sure we have three wins in the friendlies but none have been convincing.

Seems like we are heading into another major tournament with no idea what our best line up is.

Was a terrible game last night, right before the tournament is not the time to shoehorn a formation together. It's simple, two central midfielders, Rooney in the number 10 role, Kane upfront and two either side. What the hell was that shit last night, Kane and Vardy were playing up top but always drifted wide, it was terrible. Vardy IMO shouldn't be starting anyway, he is more of an impact player. Not like we have an abundance of options but probably Sterling and Lallana should be in either side of Kane.

Also if Roy doesn't play Rashford then I feel it's a wasted spot that should have gone to Townsend who I feel should have been in the final 23. Sure we have three wins in the friendlies but none have been convincing.

Seems like we are heading into another major tournament with no idea what our best line up is.

Agreed that the last game before it gets serious is not the time to be changing it around or trying a new formation.

Until now Vardy has played a part as an impact player and that's how it should remain. He can come on with say 20 minutes left and his pace will terrify tiring defenders. I don't think Roy should try to force all the in form strikers in to the starting line up.

Think we should go with Dier and Rooney in midfield with Alli, Sterling and one other ahead and Kane up front on his own. To be honest I thought the reason Roy selected Rashford, Sturridge, Vardy and Kane plus Sterling, Barkley, Alli and Lallana was so Rooney could drop in to midfield. Otherwise seems like an overkill of attacking players.

What's everyone's first choice XI and formation?

Mine would be a 4-3-3 of: Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose; Dier, Wilshere, Alli; Rooney, Kane, Sterling.

Rooney and Alli maybe switch positions. Wouldn't be against Bertrand over Rose either.

Would go along with that line up above. Think that'll be the best one to go with. Wouldn't be averse to having Lallana in there either. He did impact the game against Portugal, even though I don't rate him mega highly.

What's everyone's first choice XI and formation?

Mine would be a 4-3-3 of: Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose; Dier, Wilshere, Alli; Rooney, Kane, Sterling.

Rooney and Alli maybe switch positions. Wouldn't be against Bertrand over Rose either.

I'm not convinced by 4-3-3 unless Rooney is played in midfield. I know he'll put in a shift on the left but it's not his position and you don't want Kane going out there either. I'd fear we'd lack balance because Sterling would give us width on one side but nobody on the other... Like the personnel though. Pretty much what I'd go with though I do like Bertrand but there's little between him and Rose.

I think 4-3-3 is the way to go. The 4-4-2 diamond to me seems like a good change to make later in a game if a goal is needed with Vardy coming on as an impact sub, like v Germany. As a starting pair, I don't think Kane and Vardy work together well, both want to be the main man, and are fairly selfish. Lot of people I speak to say, they've both got to start, or Vardy's got to start, I think Vardy is best used off the bench for England.

England 1-1 Russia - 11th June 2016

Yeah that's definitely a missed opportunity and suddenly life is a little bit awkward for England! Wales won't be easy and you don't want to be needing a result in the last game.

Big big match on Thursday.

Was very impressed with England in spite of the result. Definitely a much better shape playing 4-3-3 rather than the diamond that was tried against Portugal, even if it means benching Vardy.

Walker and Rose played well it's a shame about the 2 players in front of them

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of Vardy on the bench but for me it's the right call. As good as he's been there are better options to use from the start. As a impact player though he's got a bit role to play. His pace late in games will terrify defenders so that's the role he should play for us.

Would there be any merit in playing Sturridge and Vardy flanking Kane instead of Lallana and Sterling?

I thought Lallana played well in the first half and probably deserves to keep his place in the team. I'd like to see Vardy for Sterling.

I thought Lallana played well in the first half and probably deserves to keep his place in the team. I'd like to see Vardy for Sterling.

I definitely think that Sterling's place is under threat given he's not played that well all season. But I'm not sure about using Vardy as a wide player? And I still feel like playing him is forcing the issue of trying to get Rooney, Kane and Vardy in the same team.

It's not ideal, a genuine left winger would be the better option. I don't see it as trying to play Vardy, Rooney and Kane in the same team if Vardy is the better option on the left. He has the pace and work ethic to be fine in the role plus his composure in front of goal is comfortably better. Rose can provide width if Vardy plays as a wide forward.

It's not ideal, a genuine left winger would be the better option. I don't see it as trying to play Vardy, Rooney and Kane in the same team if Vardy is the better option on the left. He has the pace and work ethic to be fine in the role plus his composure in front of goal is comfortably better. Rose can provide width if Vardy plays as a wide forward.

It can't hurt to try it I guess. I can see what you mean about Vardy being able to play the role and I guess he can't be much more ineffective than Sterling has been. Though I'm not sure trying it in what could be a must win game on Thursday is the right time? Would they not be better playing Sturridge out there who's played that role a number of times for club and country?

Not for me. I don't think Sturridge possesses the work ethic to track back to play in a wide position. I think Vardy is the better fit.

I like this goal:

We are seriously lacking in the winger department, or at least people that are comfortable in the role. Lallana deserves to play, Sterling was overall very poor. To be honest I'm surprised Hodgson didn't look at taking someone like Lingard or maybe even Albrighton, and I, for one, would have took Townsend for sure. He ended the season very well for Newcastle and looked to be getting his confidence back, where as Sterling looks confident shot.

I guess it's easy to dwell on who isn't there but as for now, I would probably play Vardy on the left and Lallana on the right. Wouldn't be totally averse playing Barkley on the left, as he could cut in and look really dangerous. Overall the performance was excellent but I still think the line up needs the odd tweak if we are going to get really far in the tournament.

Group B: England 2-1 Wales - 16th June 2016

Vardy

Sturridge

I'd like to see Wilshere for Alli, with Sturridge or Vardy for Kane and Vardy or Rashford for Sterling against Slovakia. I think Wilshere and Rooney is a better combination than Alli and Rooney.

I hope we make changes to the line-up now. Sterling and Kane have been poor.

I'd like to see Wilshere for Alli, with Sturridge or Vardy for Kane and Vardy or Rashford for Sterling against Slovakia. I think Wilshere and Rooney is a better combination than Alli and Rooney.

Would go along with that, I think Alli was dreadful yesterday. Don't think Rashford will start, Lallana hasn't done much wrong so far so he'll start. And then Vardy and Sturridge for Sterling and Kane.

Just a word on Rooney, been the standout player for us, the more he learns this midfield role the better he'll become at it. May be like having a totally new player for us next season.

Yeah I'd agree about Rooney. So far he's learnt the role really really well but there's still a lot for him to learn. He's just got that class and ability about him up play there. He plays like he's got all the time in the world which is what Scholes used to be like. I've long thought he would eventually end up in midfield because of his qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back