Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought it was an improved performance, still far away from his best but there's some hope he can recover from bad form

England 2-0 France - 17th November 2015

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shades of his old self last night. The freedom he seems to get in the England side now seems to help him a lot. Great goal.

Would be great if he could get back to anywhere near good form for us.

Manchester United 0-0 PSV - 25th November 2015

The deeper he gets the more you see his typical balls out to right; then when the left back reads what he was going to do for the tenth time he throws his arms up in the air.

He must have dodgy photos of van Gaal he's blackmailing him with.

He was our best attacker in the first half. He was a bit rubbish like the rest of the team in the second half.

Wayne Rooney has been questioned by Roy Keane but is he right?

There are 134 players who have provided a Premier League assist so far this season. Rooney is not among them. He's directly contributed to half the number of goals as Ander Herrera in almost twice the time on the pitch. According to Opta, Rooney has created only one clear-cut chance this season - the same number as each and every member of Manchester United's back four.

Manchester United - Premier League 2015/16

Player
Minutes played Goals Assists Total
Juan Mata 1027 4 3 7
Anthony Martial 655 3 1 4
Ander Herrera 513 2 2 4
Memphis Depay 677 2 0 2
Wayne Rooney 982 2 0 2

Leicester City 1-1 Manchester United - 28th November 2015

His form had been okay-ish of late, but he was poor again tonight. Quality was non-existent.

No longer a surprise and I think we're all very bored of talking about him now. I'd really like to see Memphis and Martial playing together now.

Tbh almost anybody up there would be better now. No pace. No strenghth. Touch is poor. No quality in his work at all.

Insipid and uninspired performance from him. He has the first touch of a drunken elephant. His passing was also very poor.

after a better performance against PSV this was back to his worst.

Stoke City 2-0 Manchester United - 26th December 2015

His touch in the 90th minutes pretty much sums him up.

He was decent tbh. But his touch has been very very poor. A little less remonstration and a little more application is required off him.

don't write him off, at least he showed some passion. He can still help us despite being no longer the player who he once was.

Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea - 28th December 2015

He got MOTM v Chelsea oh dear

He actually played ok yesterday but going forward he needs replacing or at least competition

Wasn't man of the match for me but basics were good from him for a change. Good hold up play, improved touch, good passing. Stevie Me described his performance as sensational, that he was not but it was better from him.

Manchester United 2-1 Swansea City - 2nd January 2016

His best performance of the season.

Last 2 games have been a big improvement, today in particular. Brilliant finish. Not holding my breath but hope there's more goals to come!

Newcastle United 3-3 Manchester United - 12th January 2016

Best performance of the season. Top strike and assist. The style of football helped him.

Was surprised at the attacking intent shown by him. One of his best games of not the best game of the season.

clear evidence he is suffering from van Gaal's football, not bad form. When we attack and he play no.10 he is heavily involved.

It certainly seems Rooney is having a bit of a resurgence in form!

OK maybe that's getting carried away but in the last few games he's definitely improved almost beyond recognition.

I saw the signs against Chelsea that he was playing with more freedom. He seemed to be getting around the field more and that's when you get Rooney at his best. Obviously against Swansea he got the winner, again against Sheffield United and then his best performance of the season last night.

Long may it continue as well! My god we need him to lead this team as captain. Just need to figure out what his best position is? And consider that against who would need to drop out as a result.

Best game i've seen him play in a while. That goal at the end was classic Rooney. A shame we didn't win but more of that Rooney please.

In the last few games there's definitely signs that Rooney is starting to find form.

I don't think we'll see the Rooney again from years gone by but he's proving he's still got a role to play.

There seems to be a greater freedom to his game again at the moment. He seems to be given more of a license to roam around the field and allow Martial to move inside and through the middle at times. And as a result he's having a greater influence on our games and boy don't we need it at the moment!

Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United - 17th January 2016

5 goals in 4 games. The lad's on fire!

Not great but looks a sharper, fitter, re-energised player than he did in first half of the season and this is the minimum I expect of him now. We're not going to get vintage Rooney back on a consistent basis, we haven't seen that Rooney for many years but I'd take the Rooney of recent years who was capable of moments over the inept one we saw in first half of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back