Costa Confusion

4


By Adam Hicks.

Manchester United have renewed their interest in Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Douglas Costa, although reports claiming the Brazilian was at Old Trafford for Saturday’s game against Bolton have been proven false.

Man United had previously tried to sign Costa for around £7m in the summer of 2009 but were told they must fork out £20m if they wanted to sign the then 18 year-old playmaker.

Costa left Brazilian side Gremio for Ukrainian champions Shakhtar in January 2010 for £5m and still has four years left on his contract which means any deal is likely to be around £15-20m.

It was widely reported that Costa was in the director’s box on Saturday for United’s 1-0 victory over Bolton however photographs later emerged of the Brazilian lining up for Shakhtar on Sunday where he scored in a 4-0 league win over Volyn and has now notched 15 goals in 61 appearances for the Ukrainian club but is said to be interested in a move to England.
After a relatively slow start to his career at Donetsk, Costa is starting to emerge as one of the most talented young midfielders in the game. He helped Shakhtar into their first Champions League quarter-final following an impressive two-legged victory over Roma, in which he scored a stunning strike in the away leg.

The Brazilian U-20 international has been referred to as the ‘New Ronaldinho’ in his homeland and is seen as a suitable replacement for the ageing Paul Scholes. Blessed with raw pace and a vast array of bamboozling tricks Costa also seems equally adept on the wing.

United were first informed about Costa by South American scout John Toulmin two years ago where he helped Brazil to win the South American Youth Championship.

Competition to acquire the youngster signature appears to be hotting up with Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona also rumoured to be interested as well as serial spenders Manchester City.

Confusion arose due to mistaken identity. Desportivo Brasil’s first team coach Osmar Loss attended the 1-0 victory with several of his players including Gladstony, Aguilar de Oliveira, Lucas Evangelista, Agnaldo and Rafael Leão. Aguilar apparently had a trial with the Old Trafford outfit in January and has rumoured to have signed a deal with United.

—————————————–
Register with the Stretford End Arising forum.

Subscribe via Email

Subscribe to our free email newsletter and never miss a post!

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

4 Comments

  1. Costa played for his club on Friday night not Sunday and if it was Friday night maybe he got a hair cut . anyway i think Sanchez would be much better for me

  2. all right mate it was Talk Sport who said the match was on Friday night. I think the English media always get transfers to Man United wrong and that is why were linked with some many names and i think our Sources at Man united our Rubbish if they can get that right. I cant recall the last time a newspaper got a transfer right they even failed with Rooney the other weak

  3. Ashely young is linked a lot with us . but a lot of fan dont rate . i think he is a great player he is a the wrong club and i think if he moved to man united he would improve . but it will be either Sanchez or Young there both kind of the same players but only Sanchez is a step head of him . Rodwell good player but yet is he a united type of player . Cahaill would be good cover for Vidc when he is Injured but i dont think he would sit on the bench . 3 IN I SAY Sanchez . Rodwell and David Dae GAE THE keeper from Spain i be happy with that

  4. Not that it was me? that exposed that Douglas Costa played for Shakhtar on Sunday.Ohh the power of the tinter net and being able to do some simple research.
    I am sure Talk Sport that infamous radio station in the UK read United forums and where United supporters communicate, like the Transfer Tavern(clue) and pick up on some simple research.

Leave A Reply

3 Shares
Share
Tweet
+1