Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not great but looks a sharper, fitter, re-energised player than he did in first half of the season and this is the minimum I expect of him now. We're not going to get vintage Rooney back on a consistent basis, we haven't seen that Rooney for many years but I'd take the Rooney of recent years who was capable of moments over the inept one we saw in first half of this season.

Could not agree more!!! I think we all have accepted that Rooney is on the slide down and at his age and given how long he has been around that's no surprise. But what we saw in the first half of the season just was not acceptable. A player who as our main striker was hindering our play. Who's touch was poor, passing was awful and just was offering the team nothing.

But he's hit a good run of form and looks like he will be our leading scorer again this season.

Today was probably one of Rooney's best performances for us on Merseyside mind. First goal at Anfield since 2005 too I believe.

He's looking sharper alright. Good timing too, we could really do with him going on a goal scoring run. He has a number of incentives now with the Euro's looming, Sir Bobby's record within touching distance and obviously United needing to get back in the top 4.

Pretty crap if he has any footwork to do to get in on goal but first time shots seem to be the trick.

Derby County 1-3 Manchester United - 29th January 2016

He was good. Top goal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought he had an iffy performance. He had his good moments and poor moments. A 60-40 performance.

Manchester United 3-0 Stoke - 2nd February 2016

Looking sharper game by game. Nice shove on Johnson too for the disallowed goal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A world away from the mediocrity of the first half of the season. Actually resembles a footballer again.

Dropping him really helped in kicking him out of his slumber. Hope he keeps this up.

Sunderland 2-1 Manchester United - 13th February 2016

Sell him to China, it doesn't matter who the next manager comes in if he continues to play.

He was poor, just like the rest of the front six in the second half.

Rooney was really poor today and it was a pretty non existent performance when we really needed him.

Given that Mata was so influential in the first half it was never Rooney that was brought in to play from that. He's had a good run and I'm sure he'll get a few more goals this season. But I'm not sure he is the first choice answer after this season.

Manchester United 1-0 Aston Villa - 16th April 2016

He was fairly decent in the first half.

Still shouldn't have been in the team. Should be eased back in to it week by week. I'd prefer he actually became a squad player but if we must accept he's first choice under Louis Van Gaal then he still should be eased back in after a fairly long lay off.

Eased back?! 1 Under 21s game and a small run out the other night? That's not being eased back in. Any other player and they'd be getting 15/20 minutes here and there for a few games.

When was the last time Rooney played an U21s game? Plus Martial and Lingard needed a breather.

Ooh... I don't think there has been one?! And that's my point, he should surely play a few games for them to get his match sharpness back up?

He was one of our better players in the first half, so you could say it was the right decision to start him.

Yeah fair enough... Just don't agree that he should have been brought back so quickly and I think it sends the wrong message to the younger players. Basically Rooney is Mr Untouchable and if he's fit he will play and I don't think he's necessarily good enough now to be in that position.

I only saw the second half and the ball bounced off him like a wall

He had a decent first half. Just looked a bit rusty but he has been looking a bit rusty for the past 3 seasons now.

I was surprised he started but had a good first half. Quick free kick pass to Valencia was class, Villa's concentration poor all day and Rooney took advantage of it here.

Manchester United 2-0 Crystal Palace - 20th April 2016

Thought Rooney looked sharp last night. Looked at home in that role and controlled things I felt.

He looked good in the deep lying playmaker role. Going forward that should be his position. Cause he doesn't have the pace and trickery to bother defenses anymore.

I think that's where he needs to move to and adapt his game to that role. He's always loved being involved in everything we do and he'd work his nuts off. Yes there's a lot to be concerned about as maybe there's elements to his game that need improving but I think he can play this role. I mean he's got the passing range, he looks best when he's spreading passes around and getting a bit of time on the ball.

Everton 1-2 Manchester United - 23rd April 2016

He was very good in the first half. Quieter in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back