Tennis 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

General tennis thread for 2016. New threads can be created for big events, eg Australian Open.

Looking forward to the new season.

Murray and Watson start their season by competing in the Hopman Cup together.

Watson has split with her coach over the break and will be helped by Judy Murray in Australia. It will be interesting to see how they do together. It would be funny if Watson faced Ivanovic as it will be a clash of the in-laws with Kim's Father coaching Ana.

I think this season will be Roger Federer's last. I have a feeling he is holding out for the Olympics. He is only playing one clay tournament this year (French Open). Clearly with age he is trying to maximise his chances in his better surfaces.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian Open

Former world number one Maria Sharapova has revealed she failed a drugs test at the Australian Open.

The Russian, 28, tested positive for meldonium, a substance she has been taking since 2006 for health issues.

Sharapova, a five-time Grand Slam champion, said she was not yet aware of the sanctions she will face.

"I failed the test and take full responsibility for that," said Sharapova, who won Wimbledon as a 17-year-old in 2004.

"I had been taking this medicine for the past 10 years, but on 1 January this became a prohibited substance which I did not know."

Sharapova is currently ranked seventh in the world but has played just four tournaments since Wimbledon last July, and only the Australian Open in 2016, as she has struggled with an arm injury.

Her most recent match was a defeat by Serena Williams at the Australian Open in January, but Sharapova, who turns 29 in April, hopes to be able to return to tennis in the future.

"I made a huge mistake," she said.

"I know I face consequences and I didn't want to end my career this way. I hope I will be given the chance to play this game again."

There had been speculation Sharapova was going to announce her retirement and a large media contingent gathered for the Los Angeles news conference, which was streamed live online.

"I know many of you thought that I would be retiring today but if I was ever going to announce my retirement it would not be in a downtown Los Angeles hotel with this fairly ugly carpet," she said.

I wasn't expecting that announcement. I thought she was going to retire.

I bet she gets a suspended ban.

How can she or her people not know? If she does take it for medical reasons can she play without her health being at risk?

Hardly surprising that tennis players on a little something something though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brit Kyle Edmund takes on Djokovic tonight in the second round of the Miami Open.

Jamie Murray becomes world new one in men's doubles. Great achievement by Jamie. So long in his brother's shadow.

A rare thing for anyone to beat Nadal on clay i'd imagine and in his home city too!

Johana Konta is the first British female tennis player to make it into the top ten for over 30 years. Great effort from Jo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back