Is the time coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichH2016

OK so I want to test something here...

Firstly please don't jump all over me for this. I'm not saying I want it to happen but it's something I think maybe we all need to think about.

So here we go...

Is it fast approaching a time where we need to rip up the current approach and reset the club? Stop hiring proven managers and bring in someone like Giggs or a young up and coming manager?

I can't believe I'm even suggesting it but I was thinking about this on the way home from work.

Like it or not there's something really wrong at our great club. It's been an issue since Fergie left and it doesn't appear to be going away no matter who we have in charge.

I can see why the board appointed Moyes and LVG. They weren't my favourite choice but I could understand it. And I liked the Jose choice. And yes it's still very early days for Jose and I'm not saying sack him right this minute... But do the club need to reset things and go back to what made them such a great club?

I'm talking youth, exciting football and getting fans up out of their seats.

Jose might be a great manager, he might be entertaining in his own way but he's not the man to bring back the great attacking football. Never was, never will be. And so far he's not even going to be the man to bring back success because there's so many issues with this team right now! To go to Stamford Bridge and lose in that way is appalling. Where was the fight? The pride? The grit to just do anything to get back in the game? And this isn't the first time we've seen that!

Maybe it's fast approaching a point where chasing success needs to be put on to the back burner. To bring back some fun for the fans because finishing outside the top 4 and playing this way is going to lose fans pretty fast.

I for one am not bothered by what we do or don't win anymore. I've seen us win it all and hopefully one day I'll see us win it all again... But I want to be excited to see my team play and I'm not anymore. I haven't been for a long time so this isn't down to Jose and it appears it's not down to LVG either. It's down to not having the players to play an attractive fast paced style. And I guess that's down to bringing in managers who don't play that way...

I didn't watch United vs Fenerbache. I didn't even realise they were playing. I won't watch them tomorrow either... Not because I'm being miserable but because right now and for a long time really they just haven't been good to watch. Sure the odd game here or there but it's not enough.

I do think there is something wrong, we have thrown money at the problem and as yet it hasn't worked. Although I do think we are heading in the right direction but Jose needs to get the right balance in the side.

I wouldn't be making any major decisions yet, I think we are where Chelsea were in Jose' first season in his second spell, they were not good enough to win the league but in the 2nd season they were gun hot! I tend to think this is what will happen with us.

I want us to play exciting football and I feel we have the players to do that but there is something holding the team back. Maybe they just need a manager to say just go out there and express yourselves. Even Rashford has seemingly gone into his shell.

I can see what you are saying when you say rip up the roots and start again but I think that also has the potential of going horribly wrong. However if Jose fails then I wouldn't be averse to giving the job to a young manager and let him build a side over a number of years. This whole sham has really brought into focus how much of a genius Sir Alex was.

To an extent I agree with you... And again I do want to stress that I'm not saying they need to sack him... But I don't see that we are moving in the right direction. There's been very little chance from last year yet more money has been spent and I don't think we are any closer to knowing what our strongest team is! Hell we don't even know what position to play Pogba in.

For me this team is nowhere that Chelsea team because they were competitive. They were in the title mix until the end and it was Jose saying they aren't ready.

I don't completely blame Jose though. He's come in to a really tough job and I'm just not sure where the club is heading. That's why I think our next move after Jose has to be one that takes the club back to where it was built. Back to good attacking football with quick young players.

Bottom line there's something fundamentally wrong within the club. I don't know what it is but no manager would be successful here right now! Well other than Fergie himself. Not even the great Pep would be able to turn this club around because there's something really off within it.

Agree with the last thing you said there Rich, 3 managers on from Fergie and it's becoming clear that it's not about who the manager is. It's too early to say how this will go under Mourinho but it does have that inevitability about it already which is madness. Expected it after 2 years, not 2 months!

Agree with the last thing you said there Rich, 3 managers on from Fergie and it's becoming clear that it's not about who the manager is. It's too early to say how this will go under Mourinho but it does have that inevitability about it already which is madness. Expected it after 2 years, not 2 months!

I can't put my finger on what's wrong and I am sure neither does Jose but something is desperately wrong. I wonder whether there is an argument to say it's partly Jose?! Has he lost his special touch? Because of how things ended at Chelsea have player's now started to talk about him and what he did wrong? I mean I'm sure player's at Chelsea have talked to United players and maybe that's part of it?

I'm not saying its all Jose because it can't be... Too much has gone wrong from the others who have tried. There does seem like an attitude problem with the players. There's no characters. No players who get going when the going gets rough. They all seem to wilt away.

I don't really get it either. Three pretty respected managers and we haven't moved on. Can't really blame the owners as plenty of money has been made available. Have we given the managers enough time? I was certainly very vocal about getting rid of moyes but wonder if we are any better.

I don't really get it either. Three pretty respected managers and we haven't moved on. Can't really blame the owners as plenty of money has been made available. Have we given the managers enough time? I was certainly very vocal about getting rid of moyes but wonder if we are any better.

We are no better but I don't think Moyes was ever the right guy. Trouble is I don't know who is anymore.

For different reasons every manager we have picked had their merits and were a good choice... But the first two didn't work out and it seems inevitable this is going the same way!

I can't believe I'm about to say this but... Oh my days this is unbelievable... Carragher just made an excellent point! He said about how Jose as boss is taking the stick but it's player's like Ibra and Pogba who need to step it up! They haven't been anywhere near good enough. They need to be deciding the big games and instead they might be our worst players.

Mind you I don't think Pogba is helped by the position he's being made to play. I know he needs to do more but the 10 role isn't his best. He's being asked to win too many Aeriel battles, I know he's a big guy but he's not a big target man. He's also getting the ball with his back to goal too often. He's best running at and beyond players but he isn't able to do that in this role either. He simply has to be moved in to a midfield 3!

I have actually thought for a while that zlatan is a problem. He isn't mobile enough to be a lonely striker for me. When I was picking a team this afternoon I thought about a change of formation. I had a back three of fosu mensch, smalling and blind. Valencia and Shaw as wing backs. Carrick and pogba in midfield. Mata behind martial and rashford. Didn't know about the injuries at that point.

I have actually thought for a while that zlatan is a problem. He isn't mobile enough to be a lonely striker for me. When I was picking a team this afternoon I thought about a change of formation. I had a back three of fosu mensch, smalling and blind. Valencia and Shaw as wing backs. Carrick and pogba in midfield. Mata behind martial and rashford. Didn't know about the injuries at that point.

To be honest I don't think Ibra's pace is a problem... It's been his hold up play, link up play and touch. If it wasn't for that I think we would be getting players around him but nothing seems to stick. And that's a real big issue in this system as it relies on the big guy to hold things up or flick them up and he's just not been doing that.

The problem was fergie. Yes he won the league in his last season but the squad was awful. Every manager since then has been trying to put their stamp on the team. He never really got a battling midfielder, scholes came out of retirement to help out, Giggs was past it, Anderson was well Anderson, We had Jones in defense and he's still at the club. The list is . Mayes never really tackled the problem yes he bought Fellaini but he's not a midfielder, Van Gaal tried he got rid of some dead wood but it was not enough. Give José the time Van Gaal had and lets see if he can get the the team going in the right direction.

I sort of know where you're coming from but it's harsh to call Fergus on the problem. He didn't leave the best squad but it was one that won the title.

He won the title when everyone else was extremely poor. We can't blame the managers after fergie without including him in it. By the looks of what the club has done with the youth set up that looks to have been a mess also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back