Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So, Jones or Smalling at RCB. I Initially thought Blind was selected at LCB for game time, but it would appear he will start the season as first choice. I don't like the idea. As stated in other threads my preference is Smalling and Jones, but I don't think they have played together at all during pre-season? The pair started on nine occasions last season, with United winning eight of those games. The want to play a left-footed centre back is ideal in theory, but not at the expense of a better defender, who is right footed. For me, defensive qualities are more important than being good on the ball. The Blind experiment will hurt the team.

I hope Van Gaal has used pre-season to experiment.

I don't think we just a back four issue I was going to post my thoughts in a new thread or older thread as it's not just about defence but I'll start with it.

Smalling and Jones were looking good with each other last season and should have carried on together in pre-season and become our no1. pairing going into the season. The Blind experiment isn't going to go very well in the PL which a lot of us already knew. Rojo will just have to work his way into the team (sort out his passport) and wait for Jones to slip up before he gets a look in. Cahill/Terry Vidic/Rio have been two great pairings, neither are lefties so having a leftie in there just because it's his preference to do so isn't necessary.

If Blind is to start at CB v Spurs then it has to be Smalling next to him for me. With the way Van Gaal wants to play (possession football), in theory if you have more of the ball, you have less defending to do, so Blind at CB is for attacking/possession purposes while defence is only weakened slightly.

The difference between Rio/Vida & Cahill/Terry is that they don't/didn't play in possession football sides, it's not a good comparison. Cahill/Terry wouldn't work for us, playing a high line, Terry'd get rinsed for pace like he was getting a few years ago under other managers. Barca have been playing Mascherano at CB for years next to Pique, people say "yeah well it's easy to defend behind that midfield", that's the aim for us too. Bayern defence under Guardiola has been weak too at times but a lot of the time they get away with it because they keep the ball so well. Like both of you, i'm not a big fan of Blind playing CB but a bigger worry of mine is that out our forwards are not strong enough to make up for the weakness. Has Rooney still got the goals in him? I'm talking 30-40, not just 20. Young's good but not title winning good. Mata can get 10+ goals and assists. Is Depay ready? We lack the 'super forward' other big clubs have.

If Rojo had done a full pre-season, he'd be in over Blind I suspect. And I prefer Rojo over Jones too. Maybe over the next week, he can work his way back in.

I mentioned Rio/Vidic Cahill/Terry in terms of all being right footed not high line/deep line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back