[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victor Wanyama

Moderator SEA Icon

Victor Wanyama

Manchester United transfer news: Victor Wanyama, Celtic's midfield enforcer, is being watched by United - Mirror Online

Manchester are weighing up a January move for Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama.

Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin - who works as one of United's team of scouts - has watched Wanyama several times this season.

United are in the market for a defensive midfielder and Kenya international Wanyama is one of the names on their radar following his impressive form north of the border.

The 21-year-old joined Celtic for 900,000 from Belgian side Beerscho AC in July 2011 and has emerged as a key member of Neil Lennon's side.

Martin Ferguson has watched him in Celtic's Champions League games this season, to assess his merits against stronger opposition than he meets in the Scottish Premier League.

Celtic would want around 10million for their midfield enforcer, who can also play in defence, but United feel they could land him for around 7m.

Wanyama is a robust, tough-tackling midfielder in the style of Newcastle's Cheick Tiote, who United have also been monitoring.

Academy Youngster
    We really need someone like him but dunno if he is the solution.

The artist formly known as Geoff and Mike33 Academy Youngster
    Wanyama is another player we've been watching for quite some time (similar to Lewandowski). We've an interest alright but whether or not Celtic will want to lose him is another thing. Also expect them to quote us an astronomical fee if we do pursue him.

Good player for sure.

Don't know if Lennon would let him go. Doubt it unless we're prepared to pay daft money.

Super Sub
    Not convinced he's good enough for us. If we sign him he'll be another Liam Miller.

On Loan
    I agree with Speedy on this. I suspect that I more than anyone on this site is unhappy with our central midfield, but if we are going to buy somebody it needs to be a proven top quality player.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Never seen him play. We're on the same night but will be interesting to hear how he does against Barca.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Wanyama has rejected a new contract. Lennon believes Wanyama is worth 25m.

Super Sub
    Contract runs till 2015 anyway so not a huge blow for Celtic. No one is going to pay 25 million for him. Looks like he'll be seeing out his contract at Celtic unless Lennon gets that figure out his head.

The artist formly known as Geoff and Mike33 Academy Youngster
    If he's worth 25 million, we won't be buying him.

No chance.

Hot Prospect
    Well good luck to him in getting that 25 million.

Hadnt seen him play until I saw him later in the Barcelona-Celtic game. Thought he was quite good really. He was always there in front of their defence trying to break the play. The one time he didnt look out for his man in the first half, Barcelona equalized after Messi slided a pass to Iniesta, who ran from behind Wanyama. He didnt make another mistake in the game.

Academy Youngster
    United won't be paying more than 10m for him.

Two Week Trial
    I have seen him play* in the flesh a couple of times, saw him in the last old firm derby. He is the kind of player I think we could do with in midfield, but there is no chance he is going to go for 25m, that's just to try and scare people away, a bid of 10m... I highly doubt Celtic can reject that sort of income for a player who cost 750k tops.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Wanyama has scored for Celtic against Barcelona.

Moderator SEA Icon
    The goal and result may have bumped his valuation up a few million.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Lennon will be wanting 30m now.

Super Sub
    Played well from what I saw but Celtic had so little of the ball it was all about working hard and keeping solid, which from what I've seen and read plays to Wanyamas strengths. Not convinced he's a good enough footballer to play for us and we'll be going nowhere near 25million let alone 30.

Moderator SEA Icon

Super Sub
    12million is more reasonable. Didn't realise he is McDonald Mariga's brother.

Likes a transfer story Fringes of First Team
    We've been linked with a move for him today. Do you think he's good enough?

Moderator SEA Icon
    The Independent claims Wenger could make a move for Wanyama. They also claim that the 10m transfer fee could scare off Wenger, although Wanyama's wage demands are relatively low.

Super Sub
    Apparently Fergie is at Celtic Park tonight, could be watching Wanyama?

Wanyama has just scored the 2nd Celtic goal as well.

Moderator SEA Icon
    He's going to a funeral tomorrow in Glasgow. Could be there to see Wanyama but likely he just fancied watching a game.

Super Sub
    Is that the charity commitments? Bit of a relief, I'm not Wanyama's biggest fan.

Moderator SEA Icon
    The funeral is for Sean Fallon, who was an assistant for Jock Stein. We know of Fergie's fondness for Stein, so you could be right, Speedy.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Why are you not keen on him, Speedy? What are his weaknesses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast