[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Lewandowski

Robert Lewandowski

Sir Alex Ferguson considering move to take Dortmund forward Robert Lewandowski to Manchester United - Telegraph

Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, and his assistant, Mike Phelan, will be at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night when Poland international Lewandowski is due to play for the German champions against Manchester City in the Champions League Group D tie.

Telegraph Sport has learnt that Dortmund were made aware of United’s interest in Lewandowski, 24, in August, prior to Robin van Persie’s £22million transfer from Arsenal to Old Trafford, and that the German club rejected the possibility of a deal in the region of €20million (£16million).

Chelsea have also actively scouted the former Lech Poznan forward, who has scored 31 goals in 72 league games for Dortmund and shone for Poland at Euro 2012.

Lewandowski has made it clear to Dortmund, however, that he will not sign an extension to his contract at the club, which expires in June 2014, and there is an acceptance in Germany that he will be sold at the end of this season.

United capitalised on Shinji Kagawa’s diminishing contract at Dortmund this summer by striking a £17million deal for the Japanese midfielder, whose deal had entered its final 12 months.

And with Dortmund adopting a business model which prevents them paying excessive wages, cashing in on Lewandowski next summer rather than lose him as a free agent in 2014, is the preferred option.

United have emerged as front-runners to sign the Pole, however, due to the growing doubts over Nani and HernŠndez.

Nani has yet to agree terms on a new contract at the club and, although there is a willingness on both sides to negotiate a new deal, the Portuguese winger’s form this season has done little to accelerate United’s attempts to secure his services beyond the end of his contract, which expires in June 2014.

Zenit St Petersburg had been keen to sign the former Sporting Lisbon player in August, but the Russian club were unable to force through a deal prior to the transfer deadline.

And while HernŠndez signed a five-year contract at Old Trafford last October, the Mexican forward has struggled for form since scoring 20 goals in his debut season at United in 2010-11.

HernŠndez has subsequently slipped to fourth choice striker, behind Van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck, and another disappointing campaign could trigger his departure from the club.

Although Lewandowski operates as a central striker for Dortmund, he has regularly performed as a wide player in a 4-3-3 formation for Poland and his versatility would enable him to fit into Sir Alex Ferguson’s desire for his players to possess the flexibility to perform in more than one role.

After being rested by Dortmund for Saturday’s 5-0 Bundesliga victory against Borussia MŲnchengladbach, Lewandowski, who scored the only goal of the game in last month’s 1-0 Group D victory against Ajax, is expected to be restored to the starting line-up by coach JŁrgen Klopp against City.

I'd rather Gotze or Hummels. Not sure another striker is essential.

Fergie's at the Etihad tonight. Wonder if he's watching Lewandowski or anyone else.

The artist formly known as Geoff and Mike33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Fergie's at the Etihad tonight. Wonder if he's watching Lewandowski or anyone else.
    That's the rumour. Fergie and Mike Phelan were up in the stand apparently watching Lewandowski.

The general concensus is that we've been after him for quite some time. Thought he did well tonight, he's a real handful up front, skillful, good shot, good in the air. He had a couple of really good chances that he missed but that wouldn't really bother me as that can happen to any striker.

Can't see us making a bid in January, probably a strong possibility of a summer bid from us.

Why though? Why would we be after another striker? We were looking at him before we got van Persie, Dortmund said no. End of, for me. Think the press are assuming they were watching him as we were interested. Whatever they were doing there, hopefully they took something from the way Dortmund played too and not just by one or 2 players.

Uncertainty over Chicharito's future?

Also worth noting that Fergie plans in advance. What we might not need at the present time, we could need 6-12 months later.

Not sure Lewandowski will be happy sitting on the bench like Welbeck and Hernandez are.

I'm all for getting very good players but would rather we invested in areas where we actually have problems, we're well stocked in attack, could understand getting a winger mind.

As good a player as Lewandowski is I think our interest ended in him when we signed RvP. That he's the only player that we're apparently watching in this Dortmund team is ridiculous, there's a good 5-8 players there who we would have a interest in as far as I'm concerned.

Don't think anybodys saying that Lewandowski is our sole target from this Dortmund team, but the general feeling is that he's our main target from them and has been for some time.

SB is correct, we plan in advance. We usually scout players for at least a year not only looking at their general ability but their general attitude etc (which is what we've most certainly done regarding Lewandowski).

SB is right, we may need certain players at a future time and we don't know what circumstances will occur. We were close to signing him after the Euros but that didn't materialise.

Is Lewandowski available on a free this summer? Fergie may feel the opportunity to sign him on free is too good to miss. With today's squad rotation and the number of games we play he'll probably see enough game time. If Chicharito continues to struggle I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave next summer and we know Fergie likes having four forwards. He also has a history of adding quality to positions that are well stocked.

Edit: article says Lewandowski is a free agent in 2014. How much would his transfer fee be? £13-15m?

Think Dortmund will want nearer to £20million, there will be quite a few sides in for him if he doesn't sign a new contract. If we are in for a striker next summer then I'd personally rather we went for Llorente who is likely to be available on a bosman.

I recall reading from somewhere we were also interested in signing Hummels. Perhaps SAF was looking at a possibility to invest in defense, considering Ferdinand is on his way to retirement, and considering our tendency to have a lot of our defenders getting injuries?

Having said that, I'd rather we invest on Subotic, though. He has an edge against Hummels, IMHO.

To be honest i can't really see Chica leaving us. In fact i can't see any of strikers moving on for the foreseeable future.

We've a supposed definite interest in Lewandowski which does make it a strange one. The only other thing that comes to mind is the fact that Will Keane was reportedly close to the first team squad for this season before his bad injury so maybe he's not improved. Either that or one of the forwards or one of our offensive players is on his bike next summer, maybe Giggsy's calling it a day and we've decided to play Rooney in midfield which leaves a spot for Lewandowski up front. Who knows? Time will tell.

• SŁddeutsche Zeitung revealed that Sir Alex Ferguson pushed hard for Robert Lewandowski to be included in the Kagawa deal and was highly bemused by Dortmund's refusal to play ball. In a possible case of mistaken identity, the Munich-based paper also wrote that United are now "so strong in attack with Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and the freshly signed 18-year-old wonderkid Angelo HernŠndez" that their interest in the Polish striker has cooled: "That's the reason why his agents are banging the promotional drum again."

Maybe so. But the list of Lewandowski's suitors has only grown following the champions' strong showings in the Champions League, and the 24-year-old is no closer to accepting a contract extension beyond 2014. Unofficially, a price tag of €25m has been mooted in case he doesn't put pen to paper come the summer. Two more goals in the 3-1 win away to Augsburg have put the topic back to the top of the agenda. Dortmund's frustration is increasingly becoming evident, too. "I don't understand why [his agents] continue to fan the flames in public," said sporting director Michael Zorc angrily.

Don't see it happening, where would it leave Welbeck and Chicha?

I believe we were looking at him before signing van Persie. I can't see it happening now. I suspect it's his agent drumming up interest.

Reports in Germany are saying we have reached an agreement to sign Lewandowski for £12m.

Sky Sports in Germany say Manchester United & Dortmund have reached an agreement for Robert Lewandowski. €15m, 5yr deal from July 1 2013.

If this is true, it would suggest, Rooney will move into midfield.

Apparently Sky Sports in Germany are basing their report on the recent Daily Mail article.

I would be surprised if we signed him now we have van Persie. Why would we?

Well if Rooney is to move into centre midfield, it would make a bit of sense and the reported fee is very cheap.

However, I would be disappointed if this was to happen because I really believe Welbeck can be a very good player in a few years time and we don't need 4 strikers, lot gets said about the 4 we had in 99 but Teddy was hardly used, often gets forgotten how little he played because he scored in FA Cup final and in CL final. There are also more important issues within the squad to address. It's not as if we've struggled for goals, rather the opposite, same last year really, it was at the other end of the pitch we had problems, those problems have grown this season.

Personally don't believe there's much in this.

Yeah, Sheringham role was limited in the treble winning season, however in 1999-00 he made 36 appearances, Cole 45, Yorke 47 and Ole 46. I personally prefer the option of having 4 forwards, especially with the number of games we play. At £12m-£15m Fergie may feel Lewandowski is too good to miss out on and at that figure there would still be plenty of funds available for other positions that need reinforcing. The issue is we already have four forwards and Kagawa. As you say, Rooney would most likely drop into midfield and perhaps Kagawa will become a 'winger' meaning there's a space for Lewandowski and three other forwards. There's also the possibility we could use the diamond formation on a permant basis.

Most of Teddy and Ole's games were off the bench though. Not convinced 4 first team strikers are needed, all depends on formations I suppose. If we were to play 3 forwards a game it'd make more sense. I'd rather us go with what we've got and give W Keane/Henriquez a chance.