[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Lampard and Cole on a free?

Lampard and Cole on a free?

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: Sir Alex Ferguson's in for Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole

SIR ALEX Ferguson will offer Frank Lampard AND Ashley Cole the chance to join Manchester United when they are dumped by Chelsea.

United boss Ferguson wants both players at Old Trafford next season – and is putting together packages to complete an amazing double deal for the Stamford Bridge rejects.

Both Lampard and Cole are out of contract at the end of June and Fergie believes the pair can make a huge impact on and off the pitch at United.

Starsport understands the Scot even considered trying to sign the pair during this month's transfer window but Chelsea are unwilling to do business with any other Premier League clubs.

So Fergie is prepared to wait until the summer, when he will offer the duo one-year rolling contracts which will allow them to continue playing at the highest level.

Having snubbed the chance to speak with Lampard, 34, all season, the club have finally told him they would grant him a free transfer move in the transfer window - but only if he moves abroad amid interest from China and the MLS in America.

They would block any offer that came in from United this month, and also the two-year deal being dangled in front of him by QPR.

Cole has other options with both Real Madrid and PSG looking to hold talks with him, but Fergie believes he can tempt the 32-year-old to United on a free transfer at the end of the season.
    Yes or no ? No for me.

I would consider taking Lampard as he'd still do a good job on the field and is a good professional. Wouldn't bother with Cole, Evra's been in good form and while he'll need replacing soon Cole is a year older than him.

Would consider Lampard especially if Scholes/Giggs retires and doubts still over Fletcher

No for me. If Powell impresses during the rumoured loan spell to Leicester he could have a bigger role from the subs bench next season. Assuming Giggs and Scholes retire we will have Carrick, Cleverley, Powell (if he impresses), Anderson (impact sub) and probably one more place in the squad for one more midfielder. I would like that midfielder to be a young understudy for Carrick. Or do we already have that in Tunnicliffe and possibly Thorpe.

And its a No from me too:

Ashley Cole - We've got Paddy already, Buttner as a back up and if we had to get another LB I'd much prefer we get Leighton Baines instead. Throw into all of this Ashley Cole appears to be a grade a **** off the field as well.

Frank Lampard - Bob has it spot on, we've got potential in the midfield already, and bringing in Lampard would only hinder their progress, and again, I'd rather see someone like a Strootman or an Ericksen signed for midfield than an aging member of Englands 'Golden Age' who would only be looking for 1 last pay-day.

Quote Originally Posted by StrettySunshine View Post
    And its a No from me too:

Frank Lampard - Bob has it spot on, we've got potential in the midfield already, and bringing in Lampard would only hinder their progress, and again, I'd rather see someone like a Strootman or an Ericksen signed for midfield than an aging member of Englands 'Golden Age' who would only be looking for 1 last pay-day.
    I agree to a point. For me, it depends on the player in question. I would snap Inter's hand off if Sneijder's transfer fee is 8m-11m and if Fergie believes he can play in a deeper position. I'm sceptical he can play in a deeper position, but if I am proved to be wrong the signing will be lauded in the same manner as van Persie is now. Sneijder might not be a necessity but many said the same about van Persie in the summer.

I don't think we could sign Ashley Cole without their being a huge risk of upsetting the changing room by replacing our Captain who is at a similar point in his career to Cole. If there wasn't any politics surrounding the move then I think it would be a good one, unfortunately this isn't a computer game and morale has to come into the equation. If Patrice was to demand a move back to France, then I would definitely be interested in Cole.

Not interested in Lampard. Sure, he scores goals when playing in that 4-2-3-1 that lets him play quite high up the pitch, but we play way too much 4-4-2 for him (at this stage in his career) to succeeed.

Lampard is good enough still and is one of the few Chelsea players i don't despise. Ashley Cole on the other hand is a top class left back but is one of the players i do despise. I also think Evra is having a really good season and has really pulled his finger out recently.

Apparently Lampard won't be offered a new contract under any circumstances.

What impact will this have for existing midfielders in our squad and potential transfers if we do sign Lampard?

I don't think it will change much tbh. It looks like Scholes will retire this summer so Lampard would take his place in the squad if we signed him. We would get by with just Lampard but I still think we'll need another midfielder to fill the athletic ball winner role that Fletcher used to fill but that sadly now looks beyond him.

One thing putting me off Lampard is that i'm doubtful he would put in the same effort for us as he does Chelsea.

I don't think Lampard's effort or lack of will be an issue. He seems to be proffesional in his approach and though he may not have the same affection for United as he does for Chelsea he will still want to perform.

Banned
    I'd take Lampard. He can score goals and his passing is very good. He can play CAM/CM & maybe even CDM.

I've been a huge fan of Frank for years. He could still do a job and even he's said that he doesn't expect to play every game.

He's on something like 150,000 wage, but I think he'd take quite a pay-cut to stay at a top team.

I'd perhaps take Lampard, with Scholes retiring, maybe Giggs too, not sure what'll happen to Fletch either, we could do with an experienced midfielder.

However, I can't see Lampard wanting to play for another English side and imagine he'd get paid better if he went abroad.

Tomorrow's Telegraph Sport's page:

I think I'd definitely take Lampard on a free and why not? We could do a lot worse and lets not forget we signed Michael Owen out of nowhere before as well. As we seen he still has the ability to play and score goals and I think he would be a good influence on Clev if he were to come. as for Cole I don't see the point in it really. Evra seems to have stepped up a little bit (just a tad) since last season and Fabio seems to be coming along well over on loan at QPR.

Lampard has signed a one-year contract extension to stay at Chelsea.