[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Jeff Schlupp

Jeff Schlupp

Manchester United give Jeff Schlupp trial but lose Darren Fletcher - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Manchester United have taken the young Leicester City attacker Jeff Schlupp on trial with a view to signing him on a permanent deal.

But fresh doubts have been cast over the career of Darren Fletcher, the United midfielder, after he was ruled out for the season following surgery to resolve his ulcerative colitis condition.

The 28-year-old has made only two substitute appearances since his last start on 1 December, yet the club say the operation was a "planned procedure" to resolve a long-term problem.

Schlupp, 20, has been training at Carrington with the permission of his parent club, who have a close relationship with United and have taken players on loan from the Premier League club in the past. The young United defender Michael Keane has recently extended his loan at Leicester and forward Jesse Lingard, another young United player, has just returned from a loan spell there.

Schlupp is relatively inexperienced even in Championship football and has not played in the first team since November. He is a striker who can operate on the left and has also played some games at left-back for the club. He broke into the side last season having played on loan at Brentford in the 2010-2011 season.

A product of the Leicester academy, Schlupp made an immediate impact when he broke through into the first team at the start of last season and scored a hat-trick on his debut away to Rotherham United in the League Cup. He played fairly regularly last season in spite of injuries.

He is a senior Ghana international, his one cap coming in November last year. Previous to that he played junior international football for Germany – he was born in Hamburg before moving to England as a youngster. He underwent knee surgery last season but the club still gave him a new contract until 2015.

There have been a number of players developed at United who have gone to Leicester in recent seasons. The club currently have three in their first-team squad: the defender Ritchie De Laet and the midfielders Danny Drinkwater and Matty James.

Think I've seen him playing left back, can't say I was massively impressed. He's big, strong and quick but wasn't great technically. Hope he's not seen as an alternative to Zaha.

Schlupp has been converted into a left back apparently. With those attributes he is perhaps someone we are taking a punt on and we'll look to develop his tactical intelligence.

I'm not sure if possible, but I hope we have the opportunity to watch him for the U21s on Monday.

It would be worth a punt I guess, he looked like he's got the raw abilities to be a decent player.

Leicester fans were talking him up early on in the season, seems to be rated by the coaches but hasn't played for a while for some reason.

Nigel Pearson has confirmed that Schlupp is training with United for a week.

Thoughts on Schlupp's performance?

There were some things that were good, obviously needed to be more clinical. Good movement I thought though, strong and quick too. I'd like to see him play as a winger.

Warren Joyce: "Jeff was unlucky a couple of times not to score with his bright movement. It's never easy for players coming in but I thought his movement and work-rate were good and he played a part in the goal at the end as well."

Joyce pleased with win at Liverpool - Official Manchester United Website

BBC Sport - Jeffrey Schlupp: Man Utd to discuss deal for Leicester striker

Only saw bits of Schlupp, those who've seen more do you feel he's worth taking a punt on ?

Purely based on the two performances for the U21s he reminds me of a slightly better version of Bebe. Harsh?

I only saw his first game but I liked his movement. The only thing I thought really needed improving was his finishing which is maybe why Leicester have played him at LB and on the wing. It's a gamble but i've read it's about 2m so not much of a gamble. Reminds me more of Mame Diouf than Bebe in terms of gambles.

Schlupp starts for Leicester v Sheffield Wednesday.

Playing LB next to Michael Keane tonight vs Cardiff. 0-0 at HT. Our opinions of him in the 2 U21 games may be pointless if we sign him as a LB.

Interesting. Fast and powerful but another that needs to add goals to his game if he is a striker. We could do with a good left back though.

Apparently impressed at left back according to Leicester City fans.

Against league leaders Cardiff too. Michael Keane impressed again too. Who'd have thought before last season that he'd be outshining his brother. Hope Will can get fit soon and show the same promise on loan at a Championship club next season.

Banned
    Both Micheal & Will have good potential. I've seen more of Will than Micheal though. His finishing is outstanding and scores most opportunities that falls to him.

I haven't really seen much of this Schlupp.

Scored for Leicester in a 2-1 defeat against Derby.

Has scored for Leicester v Birmingham. 2-1 for Leicester is current score.

And there was a host of Leicester fans wanting rid of him!

Schlupp has scored v Bolton.