[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ezequiel Garay

Ezequiel Garay

Ezequiel Garay a 15m target for Man United | The Sun |Sport|Football

MANCHESTER UNITED want Benfica star Ezequiel Garay to beef up their shaky defence.

The club are ready to bid 15million for the Argentina centre-back at the end of the season.

United have watched Garay, 26, several times this term and have made their interest known to the Portuguese champions.

Alex Ferguson’s scouts studied him in the 3-1 win at Sporting Lisbon on December 10. And they were there again for Wednesday’s 2-1 away win at SC Olhanense.

But United will face a battle to get their man, with Italian champions Juventus also interested.

Garay joined Benfica in the summer of last year after two seasons with Real Madrid.
    He struggled to get into Jose Mourinho’s side at the Bernabeu but was the defensive rock for Benfica last season as they won the Portuguese title.

And Real clearly felt the player had talent as they are due a 50 per cent sell-on fee if he leaves Lisbon.

United have had problems in the centre of defence for the best part of 18 months.
    Rio Ferdinand, who is in the last year of his contract, is injury prone while Nemanja Vidic has played only six games in the last year because of a knee injury.

ZzZ no need for a CB.

Quote Originally Posted by lomaxgr View Post
    ZzZ no need for a CB.
    Maybe not in January, but a new defender arriving in the summer is a possibility.

Banned
    If we are going to spend 15m+ on a defender we should just splash out on Hummels.

Portuguese journo Gancalo Lopes says it looks likely we'll sign him. I've not seen a lot of him recently but when he was at Real, he looked pretty average and slow...

Never seen much of him.

Garay negotiated with Manchester United

Translation:

The newspaper "Marca" it said, on Wednesday, that "Garay will replace Ferdinand at Manchester United." The Spanish daily advances even though the "English club is one step closer to reaching an agreement with Benfica to hire the Argentine for next season."

The two clubs do not understand about the value. Manchester United began offering "15 million" figure considered insufficient by Benfica.

A "Brand" that reinforces the brother of Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, has moved several times to Lisbon to see the views of the central.

Ferdinand should leave Manchester United at the end of this season.

Manchester United transfers: Ezequiel Garay of Benfica is being lined up as Rio Ferdinand's replacement - Mirror Online

The Garay rumours don't seem to be going away. Not sure how much the Portuguese League will tell you about defenders, especially playing for a side like Benfica who would generally be dominant in games domestically.

Bit about Zaha in that link too, Fergie apparently keeping him on his toes.

Banned
    Not keen on Garay. When I saw him for Madrid he wasn't that impressive. I know he's matured, but I think there are better options out there, especially if we are willing to pay 15m+. I'd rather one of Zouma, Hummels, Badstuber, Subotic. I think we need to buy a world class CB. I know Zouma isn't World class yet, but he's supposed to be immense.

:.: Man. United ganha corrida por Garay - Benfica - Jornal Record :.:

Ezequiel Garay will play at Manchester United next season. The English Emblem won the race for Benfica center-back, overcoming competition, for example, of Barcelona, ​​whose interest was reinforced yesterday by "Mundo Deportivo", newspaper headquartered in the city condal.
    And

Is another defender needed? Rio to leave? Though recent news would suggest otherwise. Vidic to leave?

The way Rio and Vidic are playing I don't see any need for another centre back. Rio should get a new deal, Vidic at 31 has another 3 or 4 good years left in him. Wouldn't show much faith in Smalling, Jones and Evans if we did sign Garay.

i disagree. Rio and Vidic are getting older and Smalling and Jones are injured a lot.

Still think Rio has a couple of good seasons in him, Vidic 3 or 4 more. Would like to think Smalling and Jones will shake off their injury proneness as they get older and Evans has just had his best season. I'd prefer if we spent the reported amount of money on other area's.

Certainly centre midfield is a more important position to stregthen, and your argument is valid. However Rio has suffered for a couple of years with injuries as has Vidic. Smalling and Jones may not shake of there continuous injury problems, leaving Evans as our only reliable Centre back. If that is all we have to spend then yes CM is the position to spend it but if there is more money and a quality centre half to be had then i would take him.

Loan for Smalling perhaps?

My issue would be not that whether another CB is necessary but whether Garay is good enough to justify another CB.

That I would agree with. I have not seen enough of Garay to know if he is good enough, i was assuming that he would be based on the fact i would hope we would not sign a sub standard player.

I've not seen enough or paid that close attention to Garay when we've played Benfica to have an opinion on him either way. How would you desribe him? What is he lacking to be considered a top class defender?

I've not seen enough either in recent times but when he was at Real Madrid, he looked slow. If he wasn't good enough to get in Real Madrid's defence a few years back, is he going to be good enough to get in our defence which is arguably stronger. People who seem to have seen more are surprised by the links. At 26, he is coming into his peak years now but I remain sceptical.

At the moment, i'm thinking this is another signing down to Jorge Mendes wanting some more money.

Lack of pace is a concern. We've seen how Merteseker has struggled.

Not sure about the Mendes point. He was strongly linked before Mendes became his agent.

Benfica's Nemanja Matic has now been linked with us. How many Benfica players is that now? I think it's 5+. Agent bullshit it seems.

Apparently Portuguese clubs are in financial trouble and banks are blocking new loans. We could see a number of players leave Portugal this summer and for perhaps lower than expected transfer fees. Could be a/the reason why van Wolfswinkel is joining Norwich.