[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Carrick understudy

Moderator SEA Icon

Carrick understudy

I’ve mentioned previously that I’d like us to sign a young understudy for Carrick, but I’m not sure who is out there. I’d like the player to be a defensive minded midfielder that possesses technique and passing ability rather than a tough tackling midfielder with limited passing. Who fits the mould?

The obvious names we’ve been linked with are Strootman and Wanyama, but who else is out there? Is someone like a Jack Cork a possibility? I ask because my knowledge of other leagues is weak.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Not suggesting we should sign him, but in terms of who is there in the Prem, I like what i've seen of Schneiderlin at Southampton. Quite similar to Carrick from what i've seen, only 23. Not sure he's good enough though. Definitely something i'd like to see us do, is get a young midfielder in who would be backup to Carrick and later take over.

Likes a transfer story Super Sub
    I like Strootman

Super Sub
    Not sure he would be happy being an 'understudy' but Lars Bender would be my first choice to strengthen the midfield at the moment. Good all round midfielder, similar age to Cleverley and wouldn't cost a huge amount. Strootman is another good option.

Most of the players are I can think of are already fairly established to be honest but they're all young enough for them to learn a lot off Carrick. I think Asier Illarramendi has looked really good when I've seen him for Real Sociedad, Ignacio Camacho looks to have turned his career round at Malaga as well, both are only 22. Never heard of him before this season but Milan Badelj at HSV has been very impressive, same for Ilkay GŁndoğan at Dortmund.

Haven't seen enough of Southampton to know if Cork or Schneiderlin to know if they're good enough for us, it's a huge step up. Cork struggled to make an impression at Chelsea despite captaining their reserves when he was a youngster which maybe says he doesn't quite have the quality for a team in the Champions League.