[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Wootton

Moderator SEA Icon

Scott Wootton

Nothing spectacular but a solid debut for Wootton alongside Rio. Fergie impressed.

What do we think this season has in store for Scott?

Moderator SEA Icon
    Did well enough. He was strong in the tackle and prepared to put body on the line.

Ideally he will secure another loan move, which will further aid his development. Unless he improves quite a bit he may struggle to make a name for himself at United, especially with Jones, Smalling and Evans at the club.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Is it possible he could change position? Has played CM for Peterborough, think he's played RB before too.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Wootton enjoys Barcelona experience - Official Manchester United Website

Scott Wootton was delighted with the experience of playing against Barcelona in the goalless draw on the DHL tour.

The defender came on for Rio Ferdinand towards the end of the Gothenburg friendly and, although Barca won a penalty shoot-out, he was clearly thrilled to be competing against some of the Catalan club's top stars in the closing stages.

"They're a great team so it was always going to be a great match to come on in," he told MUTV. "It's a fantastic experience.

"They have so many great players, you can see that from what they've won over the last few years, so it was a great side to come and test myself in that.

"I already knew they were a great side but to see it live from the bench and then playing just emphasises how good they are with their one-touch and two-touch passing. It's out of this world."

Moderator SEA Icon
    Very good tonight. Not sure he's good enough to have a future at the club but did himself no harm tonight.

Super Sub
    Yeah think he might end up like Shawcross. Might not be quite good enough for us but will have a good career elsewhere. Personally thought he was better than Keane tonight.

I thought Wootton was better than Keane, but I also think Keane is more likely to make it at United.

Super Sub
    Yeah agree with that.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Fergie on Wootton: "On Wednesday we played two young boys and they did very well. Scott Wootton reads the game well, passes the ball well and having seen him in a situation against very experienced players, I thought he did very well. That's a bonus for us and he'll be involved in the game tomorrow.

The artist formly known as Geoff and Mike33 Academy Youngster
    Yeah, really like Wootton. Did well on the pre-season tour, good game against Newcastle in the League Cup.

Looks really good on the ball, talented lad. Good prospect for us.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Some different quotes here: Man Utd youngster delighted to be given first-team chance

Wootton had a rather unconventional route to the United first team in that he hails from Birkenhead and was initially on Tranmere's books. However, it was not long before Liverpool were showing an interest and he moved to their academy.

United always kept in touch though, and when Wootton hesitated over signing scholarship forms with the Anfield outfit, the Red Devils made their move.

"I wasn't too sure whether I was going to sign (for Liverpool)," said Wootton. "United invited me down for a week's trial and said they wanted to sign straight after that. It was really good."

Wootton is showing welcome signs of being completed unaffected by the transformation in his status. He still changed with the reserve players last week at the Carrington training ground, and when United took on Liverpool at Anfield last month he was able to sneak into the visitors' end without anyone taking too much notice.

"I was never a Liverpool fan or anything like that, so I just went mad like everyone else when Robin van Persie scored," he said.
    Always thought he was a Liverpool fan. Like him more now. haha

Nice to see him come on at Cluj the other night.

Fergie said Wootton may feature against Braga. Interesting.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Tomorrow's game is potentially a good opportunity for Wootton to impress. Not necessarily with United in mind, but a career elsewhere at a decent club if he's deemed down the pecking order here.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Think it's highly likely he'll start given Rio's being rested. Carrick at CB the only other realistic option.

Quote Originally Posted by JSNFRMN_MUFC View Post
    Think it's highly likely he'll start given Rio's being rested. Carrick at CB the only other realistic option.
    Looking forward to seeing him tonight.

Super Sub
    Did alright for 60-70 minutes, then began to tire and fell to pieces. Won't be easy but hopefully he'll recover from a awful performance overall.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Feel for the lad. He will know he's let down himself and team mates - it must be an awful feeling.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Lot of people being very harsh on him. Said before I don't think he'll make it but thought he did very well for most of the game. Back 5 was very inexperienced so expected them to struggle but was surprised.

Bye bye my Brazilian love... SEA Legend
    Thought he coped pretty well, massive step up but obviously the mistakes will be remembered more.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Pleased Wootton was selected on the bench. Man management at its best.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Agreed. Think Keane probably deserved a place on the bench ahead of him but think it was the correct decision to put Wootton on there. He had some dodgy moments the other night but did well for most of the game, all young players make mistakes, being on the bench today would have boosted his confidence ahead of Wednesday. May start.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Fergie has said he wants to send Wootton out on loan very soon.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Solid game. Pleased for him after the disappointing errors against Chelsea. Hopefully he impressed an onlooking manager if he is to leave in the summer.