[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: What should be our first choice central defensive partnership?

What should be our first choice central defensive partnership?

The thread is not related to today's win, but the topic could be an interesting discussion point as the season progresses.

- Vidic & Ferdinand
    - Vidic & Evans
    - Vidic & Smalling
    - Vidic & Evans
    - Ferdinand & Evans
    - Ferdinand & Smalling
    - Ferdinand & Jones
    - Evans & Smalling
    - Evans & Jones
    - Smalling & Jones

Depends on what kind of state Vidic is in. Either Smalling and Evans or Smalling and Vidic for me.

Personally think Evans has to play. If Vidic gets back to fitness then Evans/Vidic. I still don't think personnel is to blame for goals being conceded, mistakes being made but defensive setup, tactics are a bigger problem for me. Needs sorting.

Unsure on Rio now he keeps having dozy moments, keeps dawdling on the ball.

Some of his passing in the 1st half was the worst in ages. Agree, starting to have more and more "senior moments" as I described them in another thread. Still has more good moments though, unlike Giggs who is largely awful over 90 mins but has 1 or 2 moments of brilliance (apart from last 2 games, where he's been good for longer periods).

Our most solid defensive display in a good couple of months. Need to be careful with Vidic but on that evidence we should stick with Evans and Vidic for now.

I can see Rio playing on Tuesday, might come in for Evans... but after that it has to be Vidic and Evans.

Ferdinand and Vidic were excellent today. Should they now be first choice following their performances against Liverpool and Spurs? Or is Evans first choice?

Ferdinand and Vidic is my first choice, nothing gets passed them and they know each others games inside out. However, I like Evans. His game has considerably improved and he's really maturing. I thought a few years ago he may end up at Sunderland or Everton, but I feel he is our most consistent performer. I am not convinced by Smalling yet, I feel he needs a good run injury free, but Jones looks promising. Again I hope he has a injury free run too.

What do you consider to be Smalling's weaknesses, swintonian? Personally, I'm a big fan, but I'm interested in differing opinions.

Evans should be starting but Rio and Vidic is our best partnership, lacks pace though which is why we were so deep today. Smalling and Jones is a good partnership too. I'd be interested to see how Evans/Vidic works, not been convinced before this season but Evans is a different beast now, need a run together I think. Has to be Evans + Vid/Rio when Evans returns, before injury he looked in top shape, real shame he got injured.

Maybe it's because Smalling has just come back from long term injury. I liked the look of him when we first got him. Just a couple of performances recently like West Ham away in the cup, I thought he looked nervous. Some of his clearances were sliced, he knocked it out of play a few times and he looked edgy. He is a big lad, I would like him to have more of a presence, he looks like he could be bullied by the opposition, something you don't get with Vidic, Rio, or Jones.

We have not seen the best of Jones or Smalling yet as they have had some long term injuries and I do see them as long term replacements for Vidic and Rio. I would like to see them have a good run in the team, but with everyone fit, they will not get one.

With Evans fit I say he should be first choice but Vidic and Rio looked back to their best yesterday!

From official site:

The centre-back situation involving Jonny Eans, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic is being managed. "Three days after Everton was a risk," admits the boss regarding Vidic's non-involvement at the Bernabeu while Evans' consistency is praised.

I think it's time for the Vidic/Rio partnership to be challenged. Both of them have hardly played together over the last two years but what I mean is, when Vidic is back to full fitness I can imagine Fergie will put him and Rio together for the big games. But I've said it before, I think Evans should be first choice. If we're going to be going far in the FA Cup and Champs Lge from now until the end of the season we're going to need fresh legs so I would pick Evans with a combination of Rio and Vidic for say Real at home, City & Chelsea in the league at home and Arsenal away, and get Smalling and Jones (although he's beginning to find a niche for himself in midfield) involved in the other games

Against Madrid, I think Vidic would struggle. Everton was the right game for him. He'll be a big boost to our Prem title hopes as he's a physical presence we've lacked against big strikers/players.