[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United v Real Madrid

United v Real Madrid

What are your thoughts on the draw? Do you think we can progress to the next round?

Cannot wait. I'd rather play Real than be complacent and lose to a club of a smaller reputation. Everyone expects us to lose, we're the underdogs, we have nothing to lose. Worst thing that could happen is that we get hammered and get taught a lesson. We'll be able to see where we are and see how far we're off.

Assuming everyone is available what are the thoughts about tactics and formations?

Lot of football to be played before then and depending on form and fitness. I'd play a 4-3-3 with this team.

De Gea; Rafael, Vidic, Evans, Evra; Kagawa, Carrick, Cleverley; Valencia, van Persie, Rooney.

Jeez, well if you want to win it you have to beat the best. Hopefully we come out all guns blazing and play to our strengths. We can beat Real, no doubt, just depends on how we approach the game.

At the end of the day, if you don't want to play the best then there's no point being in the competition, that's what the competition is about. If it's not to be, it's not to be, we can concentrate on the league and maybe the FA Cup.

Yeh I agree with most of you. Got to beat the best to be the best, and I would much rather get the best over 2 legs rather than a 1 off game in the Final.

Lose and we can concentrate on the league. Win and we're through and get a huge confidence boost. Would obviously prefer the win but going out wouldn't be the worst thing to happen given that the league is the main priority.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. This is awesome news. The prodigal son returns

Really looking forward to this match. A true test of quality in the squad. Should be two cracking matches.

Quietly confident... Rafael v Ronaldo will be pretty interesting I reckon... Rafa's pace and attacking mentality, might cause problems for their full back....... will marcelo be back for then?

Yeah Marcelo's back by then. Will be a great battle. If Valencia's back on form by then it will be even better. Some good matchups potentially.

As tough as it will be a part of me was happy to see us drawn against Madrid. It's been a while since we've faced a top European side over two legs. It will be nice for us going into the two games as the underdogs, not often that happens.

Madrid can be exposed at the back so I can see us coming back to Old Trafford with an away goal. In a tight game like this we will need as many game changers as we can field and a big part of me hopes Nani will still be here by the time the two games come around.

What is Madrid's general attacking preference? Do they prefer to attack using width or central areas? Or a mixture of both?

Been thinking about possible team selections for the home leg. Obviously this will depend on availabilty and the score from the first leg. If they generally attack from wide areas we could see Valencia and Young on the wings, but if they generally attack through central areas we could Kagawa on the left tucking in to make a '3' in midfield. 4-5-1/4-3-3 is obviously another option.

Usually attack from out wide I think although there more than capable of both. They usually play on the counter attack against big sides and rely on the pace of Ronaldo, di Maria and Higuain/Benzema.

I think certainly away from home we will go with two hard working flank players, probably young and valencia. Rooney will play behind RVP but maybe his starting position will be five yards deeper. If we are chasing the game at home we may change the wingers.

Against Spurs we overloaded the right-hand side to counter Bale. Could we see something similar against Madrid to counter Ronaldo?

I can see Fergie starting with the Jones, Carrick & Cleverley combo in the middle, Rooney playing wide left and whoever is in the best form out of the three wingers on the right. With Robin <3 a goal always looks likely. I can especially see this being the case over there.

The 10 minutes before half-time that Madrid had yesterday were pretty frightening but we're looking strong at the back. We desperately need Rio and Vidic to stay fit!

Barca are beating Malaga 4-2 in the Copa del Rey so it looks like Real will have to play Barca away and at home in the two games preceding our home leg against Madrid, unless the fixtures are rearranged.

Tough set of fixtures for them.

For anyone wondering... We have Everton at home before the first leg, possible FA Cup 5th round tie after it. Norwich at home and West Ham away on either side of the 2nd leg.

Good for us that Casillas is out, I also heard that pepe may not play the first leg. Here's hoping we don't pick up any injuries by then.

Anderson, Carrick, Cleverley as a midfield a possibility?