[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: The Spurs Goal

The Spurs Goal

Benott Assou-Ekotto was given far too much time to cross the ball and could De Gea have done better?

I think yes to both.

The 2nd video, Rafael expects Valencia to come to ball and pass to him so he runs forward and leaves his man.

I think we've probably been harsh on De Gea, a bit(!), Vidic obstructs him a bit, Carrick could maybe do better to stop the ball getting to Dempsey. Rio too.

De Gea did his job and cleared the ball over the head of Vidic you could say he should have got more on it but after that we let Lennon get in a cross and no one picked up Dempsey.

I personally don't think he's to blame

They are probably all fair comments but there is no getting away from the fact that he needs to get more on his punches.

I've just said exactly the same in the DeGea thread. Very very harsh on blaming the goalkeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by JSNFRMN_MUFC View Post
    The 2nd video, Rafael expects Valencia to come to ball and pass to him so he runs forward and leaves his man.

I think we've probably been harsh on De Gea, a bit(!), Vidic obstructs him a bit, Carrick could maybe do better to stop the ball getting to Dempsey. Rio too.

AlsoVidic was never winning that header on the above gif. DeGea did everything he could.

I disagree. There are other players that could have dealt with the situation better but the question was could De Gea have done better and for me yes he could. He had played well during the game but he is a goalkeeper and they are judged a little differently than outfield players.

Not sure what Rafael was doing in the second GIF? There was a breakdown in communication between him and Valencia, but why look for the counter in the 93rd minute. He had a good game otherwise though.

Yes, De Gea could have done better, but the media, and especially that gimp Hansen, vilifying him for it is beyond a joke. He played superbly well yesterday and, OK, his poor clearance led to the goal, but was it a howler?! No bloody way. I said at the time I'd like him to have come and claimed it (catch it) and clear out Vidic and the Spurs player, let them know who's boss. At the very least if he'd done that and not been able to grasp it he'd probably have got a foul. He's still developing and hopefully he'll improve on aerial ability/dealing with crosses because that, for me, is the only glaring area he needs to improve on. Some of his saves yesterday (from Dempsey and Bale) were terrific and all this talk of Fergie dropping him again is possibly the most ridiculous and unfair criticism he's had to date

Meant to post this earlier in the week. What do we make of Neville's assessment?