[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin van Persie | Match Performance Thread

Robin van Persie | Match Performance Thread

United agree deal for van Persie - Official Manchester United Website

Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement with Arsenal Football Club for the transfer of Robin Van Persie.

The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms. A further announcement will be made in due course.

Banned
    Good I put that on the henriquez thread by accident

Good news to get it done before the season started, it's a large fee for a player with 1 year left on his contract but when top class players become available you need to pay for them.

Possible he'll be in the starting line up against Everton? Rooney didn't look match fit to me in pre-season....

Got a pretty fearsome set of forwards and wingers at the club now!

Fantastic news.

Rooney looks fine to me. He's carrying a little extra weight than desired but I don't think it's a problem. van Persie has only played 20 minutes so Rooney is probably more match sharp. Rooney and Kagawa to start up top against Everton is my personal preference.

We now have fantastic options in attacking positions. Have a feeling we're going to be treated to some attractive and attacking football. Get in Fergie!!

Little extra weight! He looked like he'd spent all summer in a KFC against Barca, although I missed the Hannover game so he might be fitter than I remember. van Persie will probably play a decent amount of time tonight for the Netherlands but yeah got excited and forgot he hadn't gone on tour with Arsenal.

We've got so many players that are comfortable in multiple positions that our interchanging of positions should be excellent once everyone gets to know each other.

He started on the bench against Belgium.

This is great news. Be such a headache for fergie to pick a team though. We've gotta play a more attacking formation to put the great attacking players we have to use.

Didn't get off the bench against Belgium.

Would be very surprised if van Persie started on Monday night, has hardly trained or played during pre-season. Not a bad option off the bench.

Signing a left footed player is good for us, perhaps something we lack. Good set piece taker. Above all he was top scorer in the league last season.

Rooney needed a kick up the arse. Scored a lot last season but performances lacking. Van Persie should keep him on his toes.

There is going to be announcement tomorrow from Manchester United. Suppose to be significant. Hope its not selling naming rights to Old Trafford , but I wouldn't be suprised if it is, announcing the deal with RVP then selling naming rights the next day.

Who knows anyway, hopefully it is a good announcement!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Little extra weight! He looked like he'd spent all summer in a KFC against Barca, although I missed the Hannover game so he might be fitter than I remember. van Persie will probably play a decent amount of time tonight for the Netherlands but yeah got excited and forgot he hadn't gone on tour with Arsenal.

We've got so many players that are comfortable in multiple positions that our interchanging of positions should be excellent once everyone gets to know each other.
    I disagree about Rooney's weight. I wouldn't say he's got a weight problem in this photo:

He'll be absolutely fine in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis F View Post
    There is going to be announcement tomorrow from Manchester United. Suppose to be significant. Hope its not selling naming rights to Old Trafford , but I wouldn't be suprised if it is, announcing the deal with RVP then selling naming rights the next day.

Who knows anyway, hopefully it is a good announcement!
    Daniel Taylor from the Guardian says "it's not exciting at all, embargoed corporate stuff".

Van Persie didn't play for Holland tonight. Very much doubt he'll start against Everton.

Delighted it's been done now. Expected it to go down to the last few days of the window. Despite having initial reservations it's a real coup. We've got 2 of the best strikers in the world, we can beat anyone. We all know Van Persie's qualities but above all we are signing a match winner. He's flexible too and can play in a number of positions, like our other attacking options. He's best leading the line though, I think we'll probably see Rooney remaining as the number 10 with Kagawa possibly starting on the left but I can see them interchanging. We'll be a very difficult team to plan against, like we were with Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. New season let's be havin ya!

He looks OK there but hasn't at other times in pre-season. Is that from the Hannover game?

It's nothing new for Rooney to look a bit chubby pre-season so I'm sure he will be fine soon, not convinced he'll be match fit for Everton.

Yeah, the photo was from Saturday.

Anyway, van Persie

Ah yeah missed that game so wasn't really able to see how much his fitness had come on. Certainly looking thinner.

Haha yeah van Persie. Hopefully won't be too long till we see him on the pitch although Everton seems too optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishManc. View Post
    Delighted it's been done now. Expected it to go down to the last few days of the window. Despite having initial reservations it's a real coup. We've got 2 of the best strikers in the world, we can beat anyone. We all know Van Persie's qualities but above all we are signing a match winner. He's flexible too and can play in a number of positions, like our other attacking options. He's best leading the line though, I think we'll probably see Rooney remaining as the number 10 with Kagawa possibly starting on the left but I can see them interchanging. We'll be a very difficult team to plan against, like we were with Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. New season let's be havin ya!
    Think it's probable that the front 4 will all interchange, if it's Van Persie, Kagawa, Rooney and Nani in the front 4, those 4 can all play in different positions, Rooney could probably play anywhere to be honest, Nani's quite versatile in attack and I think it suits him, Van Persie and Kagawa less versatile but can both play on the left and central. Important we get Nani's contract done now this is done.

Rooney was in better shape. Could have done with an extra game before Everton I think but probably the best bet to start upfront on Monday.

Welbeck could also slot into any of the front 4 positions. All of our forwards will get plenty of games but I think Hernandez might have to be patient, been some rumours that he's handed in a transfer request, hopefully they aren't true.

Yeah Nani is very flexible, as is Ashley Young and Welbeck, who I'm sure we'll see featuring out wide this season. Their starting positions won't reflect much as they will all be interchanging. We saw it at the start of last season when the front 4 was Nani, Rooney, Young and Welbeck. I know Valencia is a tremendous player but he's better suited to a 4-4-2. He rarely moves from his wing. I'm sure it's an aspect of his game that can change, apparently he plays through the middle the odd time for Ecuador.

Robin van Persie transfer: Manchester United paying Arsenal 24m and the player gets 200,000 a week four-year contract - Mirror Online

Last paragraph made me laugh. Piers Morgan seems to be getting a bit of a ribbing on twitter, what comes around goes around Piers. Article also claims Hernandez could possibly go the other way.

Yeah unlike Nani who is at his best when he comes central from the wing, Valencia is the opposite which could be good if things aren't working for us. Good to have variation. He did come in off his wing at times too last season, using the outside of his right boot when others would use their left. Hernandez on the other hand, i'm struggling to see where he fits in right now. Never know though, might benefit him.

Very interested to see what Fergie has planned.

Yay! Now time to update my FIFA line-up...

Heard a pleasing stat this morning. In Rooney and van Persie we now have the top two players for combined goals and assists in the last three seasons. Rooney has a combined total of 82 and van Persie has 80.

Fergie: "It's great to have a player of the quality of van Persie to come into the squad. We're very pleased."