[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rio Ferdinand | Match Performance Thread

Rio Ferdinand | Match Performance Thread

Rarely disagree with Fergie but think he's wrong to criticise Rio on this. Isn't he allowed to have his own opinion? I don't think wearing a t-shirt will help anything, tougher punishment will. Kick It Out is funded by the FA so unsurprised they didn't criticise Terry ban but the fact they didn't say anything gives players the right to be angry with the campaign. If a player doesn't believe in the campaign why should they wear the t-shirt.

The artist formly known as Geoff and Mike33
    Think Fergie is saying that he told the pre-match press conference that the players would be wearing the t-shirts. Rio didn't wear the t-shirt. Fergie said it was embarassing for him and rightfully so in my view.

Our players have to respect Fergie's wishes, if not the dressing room has the potential to descend into anarchy. It was a really bad judgement call from Rio if you ask me.

Just my fifty cents.

So you're saying that despite Rio not having faith in the campaign he still should have worn the t-shirt just because Fergie said so. Rio is his own man, free to his own opinions. By not wearing the t-shirt he's simply making it known that the campaign need to step their game up. He was not the only player to do this; Roberts and Lescott yesterday and a few more today, he is the highest profile though which sends a big message out.

Reading boss Brian McDermott on Jason Roberts: I support him 100%. He had his reasons. He feels very strongly about this. I back him 100%.

Not for me. The bad judgement call was from Fergie as far as I am concerned. Firstly Rio and his family are directly involved in this issue so he is entitled to be consulted, not told, by Fergie. Secondly I see no reason why Rio should support a cause that in his eyes have let him down. Thirdly the fact that Rio did not wear the t shirt has actually got more people talking about the issue.
    Unfortunately Fergie jumped in on this issue and has been left embarrassed. You cannot blame Rio for this.

Fully behind Rio here. He's entitled to express his opinion even if it's in conflict with Fergie.

Absolutely.

PFA chairman: Rio Ferdinand has right to protest over Kick It Out | Football | guardian.co.uk

The players' union has defended Rio Ferdinand's right to make a personal protest against the Kick It Out anti-racism campaign after the Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, threatened to take action against the defender.

Ferdinand, whose brother Anton was the subject of racist abuse from the Chelsea captain John Terry last year, did not wear a campaign T-shirt in the warm-up to United's Premier League match against Stoke City on Saturday despite Ferguson saying on Friday that all his players would.

Ferguson described the incident as "embarrassing" and promised to "deal with it".

It is difficult to see what financial sanction could be imposed on Ferdinand in such circumstances, which instead points to a private dressing down for undermining Ferguson's authority.

However, the Professional Footballers' Association chairman, Clarke Carlisle, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We will definitely monitor the situation very closely and make sure Rio Ferdinand's rights as a human being, never mind as a footballer, are not undermined in this position.

"Everyone has a right to free speech – just like you can't coerce anyone into shaking hands, you can't make somebody wear a T-shirt – although I do personally believe that joining in with the campaign is the best way forward.

"And then for all these players to get together and put what it is they want down on paper so we together as a union – all the players, one with another – can make those changes and move forward."

The former Burnley player believes communication is key and urged Ferguson to follow the examples of the Reading manager, Brian McDermott, and Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew, in allowing Ferdinand to explain the reasons behind his decision.

It was the declaration of the Reading striker Jason Roberts on Thursday that he would not be wearing a Kick It Out shirt after becoming frustrated by what he perceived as the group's lack of action over racism that earned a rebuke from Ferguson.

Carlisle added: "There are two sides to this one. First of all, Sir Alex Ferguson is continual in his unwavering support for the Kick It Out campaign which is commendable and what we all want to see but you can't vilify or coerce any individual for making a stand.

"This shouldn't be seen as an element of control or defiance – just like Sir Alex Ferguson said when he was talking about Jason Roberts in his first interview, he doesn't know the reasons why this stand is being made and what we should do first of all is hear those reasons and listen to them and take them on board.

"Sir Alex Ferguson said he was embarrassed and that is because of the statement he had made but Brian McDermott and Alan Pardew, these guys said they had entered into dialogue with their players and listened to the reasons for them making their stand.

"So I would sincerely hope that Sir Alex Ferguson now speaks with Rio Ferdinand and asks him why he wanted to make that stand and hopefully supports the position he is in and it isn't seen as a player-against-manager situation."

However, the former Manchester United defender Viv Anderson believes Ferdinand was wrong. Anderson, who became England's first black international when he played against Czechoslovakia in 1978, does not feel the United manager should have been put in such a position.

"I don't agree with Rio," Anderson told MUTV. "You can see the manager was fuming and clearly he didn't know anything about it. He expects his senior boys to set an example. He is the manager. If he says we are all doing it together, it should be the end of the story.

"But Rio has gone the other way. I don't see where he is coming from and I don't know what it is going to achieve."

The row comes at the end of the week which has seen the ugly issue of racist abuse again come to the fore following the scenes at the England Under-21 match in Serbia.

The former Arsenal and Tottenham centre-back Sol Campbell believes Uefa now needs to send a strong deterrent to prevent a repeat in the future, with fines having been issued for similar incidents in the past.

Campbell told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme: "I think [Uefa should deduct] points and then after a while when you stop qualifying for these competitions I think people will start to wake up. If you keep on knocking off six points, nine points, I think countries are going to start waking up because everybody wants the chance to play in the World Cup or European Championship."

The artist formly known as Geoff and Mike33
    Quote Originally Posted by boothstownred View Post
    Unfortunately Fergie jumped in on this issue and has been left embarrassed. You cannot blame Rio for this.
    Hang on. How has Fergie 'jumped in on the issue'?

Viv Anderson is spot on. Fergie expects the team to set an example, Rio didn't say anything to him!! How do you expect Fergie to react?

Viv Anderson said it, he's the manager. End of story. If he says it's going to be done collectively that should be the case. It buck stops with Alex Ferguson when it comes to team matters/ direction/ obligation/ whichever way you want to describe it.

If individual opinions/actions of certain players of ours hold priority over the manager and Manchester United Football Club as a whole then Fergie's authority is seriously undermined, if that is allowed to go on then there's anarchy in the dressing room. It's not rocket science.

Bad judgement call from Rio, massively so in my opinion.

I'm not against the movement. I think it's a quite valid idea. But if a player thinksthis campaign won't the current situation (like Rio and some other players) he has the right to stand against it. And i think SAF never should criticize Rio by express their own opinion. Maybe the only Rio's mistake was not talk about it with Ferguson before the game. But still, it does not justify the criticism after the game. Very bad call.

Rio mistake not talking to Fergie about it but works both ways, Fergie should probably have spoken to whole team before press conference on Friday to see what they thought. On Friday, Fergie said that all players would wear the t-shirt, to make that statement, you'd think he'd have talked to the players first.

Big publicity for Kick It Out, who now need to look at themselves and talk to the players because they clearly feel like not enough is being done, not just by KiO but by other organisations too and I agree. It's not taken seriously enough when it happens in this country. Very critical of other countries though.

Fergie: "The issue's simple. I've spoken to Rio. It was a communication issue. He felt I should have spoken to him on Friday and I didn't anticipate that he'd have a problem wearing the shirt. My advice is to him is that I always feel a union is stronger than an individual. It's important he airs his greivances to the right people, the FA. It's been a communication issue more than anything else. We've resolved the situation, there's no lingering problems and we move on. That's the end of the matter."

Fergie says the situation with Rio has been resolved and there are no lingering problems. Were pictured laughing together this morning in training.

Fergie: "We've always adopted the policy of offering them [the older players] one-year contracts. I think Rio could play for two or three more years. He has different issues to Paul [Scholes] and Ryan [Giggs] in terms of the injuries he's had. He's not as quick as he was but that's not a problem for me - the experience he has in that position is more important to me and he's still a great footballer. I didn't know his contract was up at the end of the season. Now you've made me panic!"

Bit weird he didn't know his contract was up at the end of the season.

Some huge shit stirring going on from a BBC journo who says Rio's been dropped for a lack of communication when Fergie clearly stated he and Evra were being rested for Sunday which was to be expected.

Absolute nonsense. Just because Fergie is the manager does not give him carte blanche to say what he wants when he wants. He got asked the question about Jason Roberts at the press conference. He answered perfectly honestly with his opinion. That does not mean it has to be everyones opinion. However it looks like the issue has been resolved so hopefully it can be put to bed.

I read a stat earlier: last season Ferdinand won 70% of his aerial 50-50s, with only Terry (74%), Jagielka (76%) and Lescott (77%) achieving better. The stat surprised me a little as dominance in the air isn't something you necessarily associate with Ferdinand. Thought he was great yesterday.

The first 20 minutes of that game, we were simply breathtaking, the best we've been for a good few years. Reassuring to know we can do that when we really want to. Think we eased off after the 2nd, Newcastle came back into it, it was a very good game. The 3rd goal was a killer. Could have gone either way had Newcastle scored to make it 2-1. Think we had De Gea to thank for that not happening (might be wrong). Expect to see that formation more in the knockout stages of the CL. Might even see it at City next month. Fergie hasn't fancied it as much since Braga at home. Expect Fergie to experiment with formations in our 2 remaining CL group games.

One of my favourite players for about 6 years now. Bought a shirt with his name on it last summer as I knew time was coming to an end for him. Might decide it's time for him to leave next summer if we win the Prem.

Could lose a lot of experience next summer with it being very likely Scholes will retire, Giggs may also retire, Rio might leave. Would be a big blow if Fergie decided to retire with them. Don't think he will though.

i think Rio leaving would open up the door to a big CB signing like Hummels or somebody of similar quality, i think the time is right aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by JSNFRMN_MUFC View Post
    One of my favourite players for about 6 years now. Bought a shirt with his name on it last summer as I knew time was coming to an end for him. Might decide it's time for him to leave next summer if we win the Prem.

Could lose a lot of experience next summer with it being very likely Scholes will retire, Giggs may also retire, Rio might leave. Would be a big blow if Fergie decided to retire with them. Don't think he will though.
    I dread the thought of all them leaving at once. Hopefully Fergie is still manager to ease us through the transition.

Regardless of my Smalling v Ferdinand thread, Ferdinand is the best defender I've seen and he would be the first pick centre back in my all time United XI. He's up there with the best defenders of his generation.