[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Phil Jones | Match Performance Thread

Moderator SEA Icon
    Defender Phil Jones delighted to be back in action for Manchester United | Manchester United News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Phil Jones was delighted to make his return to action for Manchester United - even if he was unable to stop them slipping to a defeat against Galatasaray.

The defender made his first appearance of the season in the Group H clash in Istanbul, playing the full 90 minutes after enduring a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

The England international suffered a back problem in the summer and then needed knee surgery after a pre-season training setback.

"I'm delighted. I've had a torrid six months in and out of the team and fitness," he told Sky Sports. "I was delighted to get 90 minutes and I hope I can push on now.

"It definitely got harder. It was a heavy pitch."

Manchester United - who had already qualified for the knockout stages of the competition as Group H winners - were beaten on their travels by a Burak Yilmaz goal, his header after 54 minutes coming as the visiting defence fell asleep at a set piece.

"We should have switched on and dealt with that ball," Jones admitted. "We got punished at a set-piece which is not our game. We shouldn't have done that."

Asked if the team had briefly gone to sleep, he added: "Possibly. We need to look at the video and see where went wrong.

"We were a bit unfortunate not to take the lead - it wasn't our night."

Moderator SEA Icon
    Anders mentioned that he was impressed by Jones, now Carrick has done the same. Had big doubts that Jones would be a CB before tonight. Opinion has changed a bit, look forward to seeing him there again soon.

Carrick praises defensive partner Jones - Official Manchester United Website

Moderator SEA Icon
    Good game. Right back, centre back or centre mid?

Moderator SEA Icon
    I still haven't a clue. Think everyone went off him a bit last season as he was a bit tired from playing so much and was playing with a few injuries so wasn't playing aswell. Showed since he's come back that he is a very good talent. Lot more to come from him.

Likes a transfer story Fringes of First Team
    I think we should select him in one position. I don't think it helps consistent performances if he is continually switched position, even though he had a good game. If Jones and Smalling are playing I would prefer Smalling at RB as I believe he is better than Jones in the position.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Can't agree with that. Smalling is the better CB too so would prefer him there.

Phil Jones interview part one - Official Manchester United Website

Moderator SEA Icon

Moderator SEA Icon
    Jones missed today's game due to an injury sustained against Swansea.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Fergie: Phil Jones is back, although I think Wednesday is more likely for him.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Very impressed by him tonight at CB. Probably our best player behind Giggs. Starting to show that his future is at CB I feel. Smalling did well too. The 2 of them have a good partnership.

Super Sub
    I thought him and Smalling were both excellent. His performances against Blackburn and Newcastle last season put him back a step as a centre back but he's got all the attributes to be a top class defender.

Moderator SEA Icon
    His problem now is getting more games there, certainly done himself no harm tonight though. 4 others ahead of him, sounds like Evans and Vidic will both be back for Spurs. Gonna find himself as a backup RB for the rest of the season I feel barring injuries *touch wood* they won't happen.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Best centre back performance since joining United. Beat his opponent to the ball on a couple of occasions and enjoyed his surging runs. For me, tonight's showing adds to the thought that his future lies in central defence.

Hot Prospect
    He was immense last night. Smalling had a great game also.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Did very well in midfield today. Our game plan suited him to be honest though. With Fletcher out, I expect to see more of him in midfield.

On Loan
    He played well. Covered a lot of ground and was very strong.

Hot Prospect
    Really good game.

Moderator New Contract
    Jones was superb yesterday. He, Cleverley and Carrick were brilliant in midfield. Whole team worked hard but those three, in particular, were great. Jones was chasing and disturbing everything. Only thing is though, his display will prolong the debate of what position he should be playing!

Moderator SEA Icon
    Excellent. I've not checked the stats but he seemed to win virtually all aerial battles. He's got a leap on him. Top prospect.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Doing very well at CB, did a very good job in CM last week but I think his future is at CB now although it'll be good for us that he can play in CM (if we're being more defensive) and at RB (when we may need a bit more height).

In top form at the moment, showing great promise.

As for stats, I can't seem to find any for FA Cup games

Moderator SEA Icon

Moderator SEA Icon
    Jones has pulled out of England's U21s squad due to injury.

Moderator SEA Icon
    'Injured'. There is no point in him being in that squad and we need him fit for next week.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Mirror says he's out for a month with shingles. Hope that's not true.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Disappointing news. He's had awful luck with injuries. Wonder if Fergie had planned to use him in midfield against Madrid and what impact his absence will have on team selection? Was he going to "mark" Ronaldo as he did with Bale?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast