[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: David de Gea | Match Performance Thread

My only worry with De Gea is the language barrier, crucial that we have both Rio and Vidic fit and in defence for the start of the season to guide him along.

I was thinking the same thing about the language barrier Jason.

You're spot on.

When De Gea makes mistakes (as he surely will) you hope our fans will show patience and support, because the media will look to pick holes.

He should tap up Martinez and Thiago for us

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    When De Gea makes mistakes (as he surely will) you hope our fans will show patience and support, because the media will look to pick holes.
    Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

De Gea has to be given time to settle in and get used to our back four etc. This season is a settling in period, he won't be out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    You're right about the media. It happened when Ben Foster made a string of mistakes at the start of the 09/10 and he lost a greal deal of confidence. Hopefully de Gea can get his first clean sheet at the Hawthorns and kick on from there. A good start is vital.

Even Van Der Sar got bombarded with a bit of abuse after the clanger at WBA. All keeper's make mistakes as do all players the only difference is because the keeper is the last line of defence and alone, it gets noted more as it usually ends in a goal, some keepers make more mistakes than others. Concentration is key for a United keeper because he won't have anything to do for most of the game then all of a sudden... bam, I doubt he's ever gone very long in a game without being called into action with Atletico so that could be a test, he has to stay on his toes all the time with us.

He looks comfortable on the ball, very much like Edwin, I don't think he's as good yet but he could be, Edwin was probably one of the best ever with the ball at his feet though, best i've seen anyway. I think our defenders feel more confident with someone like this too. For example look at the Blackburn game at the end of the season, if Edwin was in goal he'd have received the ball a lot when we were passing it about without care at the back, the defenders had no confidence in passing it back to Kuzczak in that game. Lindegaard also looks good with his feet, I think i'll be a lot more confident with Lindegaard deputising for De Gea than I was with Kuz deputising for Edwin.

Crucial that we got him tied up before the Pre-Season tour, he can get used to our defenders now and develop a partnership with them.

I think what we all need to realise is that he's not the finished article but is someone who could be the world's best one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

De Gea has to be given time to settle in and get used to our back four etc. This season is a settling in period, he won't be out the door.
    Unfortunately the start of the season is very tough so he is not going to have much time to settle in and if he starts in the charity shield, well thats definitely straight into the heat

Two points.

De Gea will be given time to settle in at the club, that's a certainty - regardless of who we're playing at the start of the season.
    Also secondly, the fact that he's young and more than likely our new keeper then the media are always going to be looking to pick holes in De Gea's performances.

We've signed De Gea on a five year deal guys - he's not going to be out the door this season.

I don't think anyone's saying that Geoff. Are they?

Quote Originally Posted by JSNFRMN_MUFC View Post
    Not the impression I gathered. My point was about our fans supporting de Gea even if he makes mistakes. He is both a short and long term solution so us fans should refrain from lumping pressure on de Gea if he makes early mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JSNFRMN_MUFC View Post
    I'm not refering to the genuine United fans posting on here Jason- they've excellent views.

More what Sideshow Bob is refering to- the gloryhunting/plastic fans will jump on every mistake De Gea supposedly makes.

Manchester United Official Web Site - Evra backs De Gea

Patrice Evra is backing new signing David de Gea to fill the considerable goalkeeping void left by Edwin van der Sar’s retirement.

Spanish stopper De Gea agreed to join the Reds from Atlético Madrid on Wednesday and has already set his sights on emulating Edwin’s achievements at the club.

The Dutchman won three league titles and a Champions League in his six seasons at United, and Evra says De Gea will be given every chance to make the same impact.

"David is a good goalkeeper," Evra said. "We don’t know him yet but we’ll give him a nice welcome.

"It’s never easy to replace a big goalkeeper like Van der Sar, and I’m a little bit sad that Edwin has retired, but De Gea is the future now.

"He has to work hard because it’s not easy to do the job Edwin did, but he’ll be given every opportunity.

"We wish him all the best because he has come to the biggest club in the world, and it’s important for him to give 100% every day."

I've heard that De Gea is quite comfortable on the ball when it's played back to him, he's apparently got good ability on the ball for a keeper.

Don't think he's as good as Van Der Sar but no one is, Ajax started the whole sweeper-keeper thing and Van Der Sar was the keeper at Ajax when it started.De Gea he does look very comfortable on the ball though which is good as it gives the defenders confidence and provides an out ball for the defence when under pressure from pressing attackers.

The sweeper keeper started in the 70's with Holland

Yeah but the keeper wasn't really good with his feet then from my understanding. Might be wrong there though...

i see what your saying i think a couple of mexican keepers brought it on a lot a read an article on it a while ago ill see if i can find it

I think Sweeper Keeper was the wrong description to use to be honest.

The Rise of the Sweeper-keeper | Holding Midfield But yeah van der sar with ajax was as comfortable with his feet as with his hands and i think to be a top keeper thats needed these days.

De Gea is excellent doing the 'sweeper-keeper' role from what i've seen of him.

David De Gea will be put on a special fitness and diet programme to generate more muscle & to prepare him for the EPL.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/...David-De-Gea-/

Yep, he needs a couple of pies!

lol.