[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Sam Byrne

Sam Byrne

Think I might have mentioned him before, he is a 16 year old Irish player who has recently signed forms with United. I know his brother to see from nights out and stuff - bloody tank, plays with Leinster rugby's acadamy side and apparently his sister is some equestrian whiz kid aswell so he comes form a good sporting family. If I hear any more I'll let you know

Hard to find anything on this move on the internet so the only bit of info I have is through word of mouth... I've never seen Sam play because I've been in University the last year and haven't been living at home but lads from my old school say he's class, big build and is a striker - all things are lacking in this years academy side. If I see his brother Adam out again some night I'll ask him about this because I'm not sure when Sam is moving over to Manchester. He signed forms before the Milk Cup took place but as far as I know he wasn't in the squad for that. I'd say he's with the squad now though.
    From what I've read he played with Joeys which is a big club in Dublin and skipped an age group to play for Ireland under 17's when he just turned 15. His brother only started playing rugby a couple of years ago and he's already playing for Leinsters academy so as I've said above he comes from a good sporting family. Looking forwars to tracking his progress this season, may get MUTV back

He's in the list of first year scholars for 2011/12

Looks up to Torres?!?! Oh bejeebus!

Nothing a bit of the old hair-dryer treatment can't sort out

Was talking to a lad the other night who was saying that Byrne actually represented Ireland under 17's when he was he was 14! If that's true then it either suggests that Byrne is very very good or Ireland under 17's are very very bad. He also said that Byrne scored 4 goals in a behind closed doors game recently ? Obviously as it was behind closed doors I can't find any info on that to back him up but the early signs do seem promising for Byrne.

Sam Byrne scored a hat trick in an 8-0 win for Ireland U17s against Liechtenstein.

Sam with the match ball.

Did well tonight from what I saw. Hope he keeps improving, having a natural striker makes a difference.

His touch and hold up play is excellent. He probably needs to be a bit greedier. I've been very impressed whenever I've seen him.

Byrne has been very good in the last month. He's shown strength in holding up the ball, good feet, decent pace, links well and he's timing his runs better so isn't being caught offside as much.

Byrne has signed his first professional contract at United.

Is Byrne less mobile this season? Is he lacking pace?

Yeah he looks like he's bulked up a fair bit over the summer which could be why that is.

Scored for Ireland under 19's in a 5-2 win against Luxembourg last Thursday. Started against Macedonia in a 1-0 win last night also. Noe Baba started in defense in both games. Another game against Germany tomorrow night.

Scored for Ireland in that Germany game which finished 2-2.

Byrne has been named in the Ireland U19 squad for the two friendlies against Czech Republic.

Byrne's best game of the season today. What do we make of him?

In fine form of late, brilliant today. Said a few weeks/months back that I didn't understand why we weren't playing more.

Agree, he played very well today, he teamed up well with Barmby for his 1st and his second goal was a quality solo effort

Saw the highlights last night, looked a very impressive performance. Shows the level Wilson is at to be ahead of him. Have to say from an Irish perspective also I've been very pleased with Byrnes progression. I think he's got a very bright future, he's a similar type of forward to Doyle and Long in that he's big and strong and is willing to run into channels and put in the graft. It's a handy quality to have in modern day football as the way teams are setting up at the minute most sides play with one up top so Byrne with his work ethic and hold up play is suited to that.

Said it before but I would love to see us play with both Byrne and Wilson up top, both like to play on the shoulder rather than dropping deep which may be why it's generally one or the other. It's good to have a bit of competition I suppose though. The two of them, if they keep these type of performances up, will push each other on if they are competing for the one spot.

Byrne scored the opening goal for Ireland's U19s in a 2-2 draw against Switzerland.

Scored in the next game against Slovakia also. Always seems to do well in a green shirt, he's making good progress.

Saw him out in one of the local clubs last night, he's not as big as he looks on the TV, I'd say he's around 5'8, 5'9 max. His brother Adam is currently in France with the Ireland under 20's rugby team for the World Cup, good prospect too.

Scored 2 for Ireland's under 19's during the week.