[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Owen

Bye bye my Brazilian love... Seasoned Campaigner Asteroids Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion
    Good risk free signing overall. Good luck to him.

Does Not Like Nani Reserve Team
    Kawaga for the 7, JSP?

Moderator SEA Icon
    My heart sunk last night when there was a rumour we were keeping him on. I agreed with keeping him on another year last summer. But another season would have been too much. If we could know for definite that he could stay fit for most of the season then i'd say keep him on but you can't be sure and it would be better to have the squad space filled by someone who rarely picks up injuries. You have to question whether he's actually worth keeping on regardless of injuries too, would rarely play, would rather give the experience to a younger player.

Good luck to him in the future.

Do you think Owen could be useful on the back room staff?

Moderator SEA Icon
    Don't think he'd want to do that right now. He'll be looking to carry on playing for another 2 years, think there'll be little interest from Prem clubs though.

Likes a transfer story Fringes of First Team
    He will go to MLS, Robbie Keane will go to Villa and Owen will replace him at LA Galaxy.

Moderator On the Bench
    Can't see Owen moving abroad with his other commitments here in England. Not sure if he'd fancy dropping down a division though if it came to it.

Hot Prospect

Super Sub
    Amazed that no one has picked him up yet. As much as he was never good enough for us he could surely do a good job somewhere in the Premiership.

Moderator SEA Icon
    No rush. He can sign whenever. Clubs who have failed to buy, will look to him now. Lot of clubs lacking in the striker department.

Academy Youngster
    Owen is still a decent striker, but he has lost his most valued asset with time, speed.

Super Sub
    Seems like Liverpool are interested.

Academy Youngster
    Rodgers said he might bring in a player familiar to the club. I hope he chooses Heskey instead of Owen.

Super Sub

Hot Prospect

Super Sub

Moderator SEA Icon
    Owen has just scored. The goal is his 150th Premier League goal.

I did wonder why I saw a flock of flying pigs just now...

Moderator SEA Icon
    Scored his 100th PL goal on 26th of April 2003!

Moderator SEA Icon
    Haha, 50 Premier League goals in ten years!

Moderator SEA Icon
    Owen has announced he will retire at the end of the season.

http://www.michaelowen.com/

"It is with an immense amount of pride that I am announcing my intention to retire from Professional Football at the end of this season.

Having progressed through the ranks at Liverpool to make my first team debut at 17, before embarking upon spells at Real Madrid, Newcastle United, Manchester United and Stoke City, not to mention representing my country on 89 occasions, I now feel it is the right time to bring the curtain down on my career.

I have been very fortunate in that my career has taken me on a journey that like many young players starting out, I could only have dreamt of.

None of this would have been possible without the tremendous support I have received from managers, coaches, fellow players, back room staff, the supporters and my own personal sponsors. I would like to thank each and every one for the huge role they have played in helping me reach the top of my profession.

Most of all though, I would like to thank my family. To my beautiful wife Louise, for her continued love and support through the many ups and downs in my career and for affording me the most precious gift of all, our children.

To my Mum who has always taken the brunt of my frustrations yet continues to keep our family so tight-knit, a trait that has formed the foundations of my own success. Her dedication to me and my brothers and sisters is immeasurable. I'd like to thank Terry, Andy, Karen and Lesley for being so understanding and creating the perfect environment to grow up in. Last but not least, my Dad. We did it my old mate! From those freezing local parks to terrorising the best defenders in the World on the biggest stages of all. I couldn't have done it without you".

New Contract
    About time really, he wasn't playing enough to merit staying on. I've got a lot of respect for the guy as it seem's he has forged himself a career away from football too. A lot of footballers keep playing without any idea as to what they're doing after they hang up their boots.

I was also behind the goal for his greatest strike for us. I fell over the guys next to me, ended up on the floor in the space vacated by a couple who'd left minutes prior.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Haha, that moment was well worth the fall!

Bye bye my Brazilian love... Seasoned Campaigner Asteroids Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion
    One of England's best ever strikers would of and should of broke all kinds of goalscoring records. His downfall started at Newcastle.

Moderator SEA Icon
    Owen's career is exactly why Cleverley and other youngsters get rested so often and need rest, shows what happens if you play too much as a youngster. Look at Raheem Sterling this season, started brilliantly but has been knackered for a good few months now due to fatigue. English league is very demanding physically.

Fergie talks about it here. Sir Alex Ferguson claims Liverpool halted Michael Owen's potential | Mail Online

Anyway, good luck to him in the future. This is the right thing to do, although it is a shame that it has come so early.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast