[Timezone Detection]
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Owen

Michael Owen

Fergie on Owen: Michael Owen's training well. With his record of injuries we need to make sure he does a full preparation before he joins us. I would think he'd join us in about two weeks.

This guy is a complete waste of space.

Spends the whole season injured then turns up in March when there's a sniff of a trophy.

Still don't understand why he was given a new contract last summer unless it's to sit around after training and talk horses with Fergie.

I know he's on a pay as you play deal but surely he takes home some money every week?

The Owen signing served its purpose.

It did for the first 2 year deal that goal against City being the highlight but this season it made no sense to me he spent a big chunk of last season injured and he'd dropped down the pecking order to 5th choice striker.

It's looking like that. Maybe Owen was kept on as an contingency measure? Chicharito had participated in the Gold Cup; a player returning from a summer tournament can often struggle in the following season. Welbeck has been fantastic this season but at the start of the season Fergie couldn't be sure he was ready. Chicharito has struggled to a point and if Welbeck had struggled too that would leave us with Berbatov, Rooney and Macheda. This could be over-analysing the situation.

That's a fair point but is a player with a poor track record for being fit a good contingency plan?

Even if Chicharito had struggled with second season syndrome & Welbeck struggled to make an impact Owen has managed 1 league appearence this season against Stoke away.

Owen has lived up to his injury tag this season. In his first two seasons he made 48 appearances which I think is acceptable.

Owen is always injuryed yes, but I think Fergie keeps him in for experience around the place, for the young strikers coming through.

He adds an experienced mind to the set up for the younger lads, hes served his purpose & has been a great impact sub, but with welbz now starting i doubt he will get much game time tbh.

Still don't understand why he was given a new contract last summer unless it's to sit around after training and talk horses with Fergie.
    ^ & that is a legendary quote haha!

Agreed. Injured too much and for too long, taking up squad space and we need the #7 jersey back in the first team regularly.

Depends on how much money Fergie has to spend but I can see him and Macheda leaving in the Summer. Diouf has already gone. Will Keane will probably get promoted or go on loan. We may get someone in. Fergie loves his strikers.

But I think we had 8 options upfront at the start of the season, that was too much, it needs to be cut down and other areas need to be strengthened in depth and quality.

I think Owen will go in the summer along with Macheda although they might send him on a 12 month loan rather than joining a team half way through a season.

Even though we've given Berba 1 more year I can see him going if we get a good offer for him.

That leaves Rooney, Welbz, Chicharito as our first choice strikers so maybe they will look at bringing Will Keane through or purchasing someone.

Does Not Like Nani
    Should Owen move up into the coaching staff?

Maybe but I think he wants to keep playing he's only in his early 30's I mean he's a good pro in terms of being a role model but I think as a player he was a little over rated. When he had that speed he was brilliant but once it went he didn't really have the all round game to fall back on by the time he went to Newcastle he was a bit of a busted flush. His movement is very good, his finishing is good but without that threat in behind he just didn't offer the same threat.

It's a tough one he's said he'd rather play 10-15 games a season at Utd with top class players than drop down a level and play 30 games a season at say Villa.

My problem with him is that the 10-15 games he plays could be used to develop a player like Will Keane as lets face it Owen is only playing Cup games that are in theory bankers or if we have an injury crisis long term it makes more sense to play Keane or one of the other youth strikers in these games.

Ferigie on Owen: "Michael Owen's been training with the first team for about a week now. That's good news. If there's a player who can score an important goal at any stage of the match it's him. When he gets an injury it's never an easy one - it's months rather than weeks. It's unfortunate because he's a fantastic striker.

"We want to try and get Michael back. If we get him back and he continues his training he'll be in contention as a sub. He won't be involved on Sunday, though. But for his injuries, who's to say what sort of career he'd have had.

Apparently going to play for the Reserves tomorrow against Wolves at Altrincham's Moss Lane.

Interesting. Does this indicate that Owen is in Fergie's plans (as a sub) for the remaining fixtures? If Chicharito was firing on all cylinders I don't think Owen would play for the reserves.

I've been reading that maybe Owen should sign another year as a fourth striker for next year. As much as I hate myself, it makes some sense.

We need someone who doesn't mind if they don't play and is cheap. Haven't really used a fourth striker for months - apart from Berba's cameo recently.

The only real worry is that, if needed, would he be fit.

Michael Owen not in the Reserves starting line up for tonight.

I agreed with giving Owen a contract last summer. But I can't agree with giving him another year after this season. He's never available. Either get someone experienced in or put faith in younger players.

Trouble with using a reserve player like Will Keane is that he probably wouldn't play more than a handful of times over the season. That's no good for his development - or for the club long term.

We need a 4th striker who's happy to sit on the sidelines for most of the year - and probably someone who is cheap

Anyone for Raul?

Will Raul be looking for regular football at this stage of his career? I think regular football is a reason why he left Madrid.

I think he's got his heart set on one last big pay day before he retires somewhere in the middle east. Would be a much better option than Owen though.

Raul confirmed when he announced he was leaving Schalke that he was also leaving Europe which suggests he's got a deal lined up in either America or the Middle East.

To me signing Owen again is the most pointless move the club has made since we resigned him last summer he's a good player but he spends half the season injured what's the point in having a backup player who's always injured. I'd rather the club kept hold of Berbatov and let him go as a free rather than rely on Owen for another season.

The Telegraph has reported Owen will not be offered a new contract.

Update: Owen has confirmed he won't be offered a new contract.

I'll remember hiim for his goal against City. Good luck to him in the future.

Glad to see he's left, his position in the squad can be taken by a more worthy player now. Wish him well, hope he can find a decent club. He's always behaved respectfully despite not getting many chances.

Does Not Like Nani
    yeah, Owen will always be remembered for THAT goal.... but he's just not been able to be fit this season, so it's a good thing he's going. Also, it frees up the '7' shirt for someone else.

But who?

Think the number 7 shirt will go to a new signing this summer.

As for Owen at the time he signed I thought it was a bad move but he contributed in his first season and did ok second season he did nothing as injuries took over and thought it was a massive error giving him a new contract.

This year again injuries mean he's contributed nothing so he had to go I'm sure he's a good influence on youngsters at the club but it's not like there aren't people they can look up to already Rio, Evra Giggs, Scholes, Fletcher or Carrick who get what it means to be at a club like Utd.